Bears resign OLB Aaron Lynch

Madmike90

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:
 @kfishbain
FollowingFollowing @kfishbain
More

Aaron Lynch got a $250,000 signing bonus. His 2019 cap number is $1,453,125. Can earn up to $250,000 with per game roster bonuses.

6:41 AM - 5 Apr 2019

He's making less than half than last year, we've done well there.

43 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:
 @kfishbain
FollowingFollowing @kfishbain
More

Aaron Lynch got a $250,000 signing bonus. His 2019 cap number is $1,453,125. Can earn up to $250,000 with per game roster bonuses.

6:41 AM - 5 Apr 2019

So.....that's $1 mil less SB than last year and 50% less in roster bonuses.

He got a $1 mil salary and a $250k SB.  The other $203k cap hit is the LTBE part of his roster bonuses.  $15, 625 per game x 13 = $203k and change.

Pace got a very fair bargain for us by waiting him out.

That he took this deal here to be a backup suggests that his market elsewhere was non-existent except for similar deals. We got the right value here. Kudos to Pace for doing so. Had he been paid twice this for 2019 most probably would not have batted an eye. 

The fact that he's never played a full 16 game season since his rookie year is sinking in.  He can't stay 100% healthy for an entire season.

Then when you combine that with any lack of apparent upside unless he can put together one hell of a year in 2019 in this defense he's never gonna get offers for much more than this.  I was looking at maybe $2 mil with another $500k in per game bonuses and we did much better than that.

A further comment from Biggsy on Lynch and drafting an OLB/Edge in the draft.

With Aaron Lynch signed, will the Bears still target pass rushers in the draft? — @grant_seeds

I don’t think any team ever enters a draft and says, “We’re not going to look at pass rushers.” The old saying is there is no such thing as having too many pass rushers. That said, you’re not going find refined pass rushers or guys with traits that check most of the boxes by the middle rounds. If they see a pass rusher they really like, I wouldn’t rule it out. But I figure running back, cornerback and safety are positions they will have more interest in and I never rule out offensive linemen.

This has also been my position.  We're highly unlikely to get anyone who could supplant Lynch in the rotation and a rookie would also have to climb over Irving and Fitts both who have previous game experience to do it.  I just don't see it happening.

Pace also seems to be firmly committed to extending Floyd so why not look to replace Lynch in 2020 using one of our two 2nds or trade up into round one where we have a much better chance of drafting a rookie who could come in and make an impact.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

A further comment from Biggsy on Lynch and drafting an OLB/Edge in the draft.

With Aaron Lynch signed, will the Bears still target pass rushers in the draft? — @grant_seeds

I don’t think any team ever enters a draft and says, “We’re not going to look at pass rushers.” The old saying is there is no such thing as having too many pass rushers. That said, you’re not going find refined pass rushers or guys with traits that check most of the boxes by the middle rounds. If they see a pass rusher they really like, I wouldn’t rule it out. But I figure running back, cornerback and safety are positions they will have more interest in and I never rule out offensive linemen.

This has also been my position.  We're highly unlikely to get anyone who could supplant Lynch in the rotation and a rookie would also have to climb over Irving and Fitts both who have previous game experience to do it.  I just don't see it happening.

Pace also seems to be firmly committed to extending Floyd so why not look to replace Lynch in 2020 using one of our two 2nds or trade up into round one where we have a much better chance of drafting a rookie who could come in and make an impact.

+1. We would have to add both 2nds from next year to even smell low 1st round like picks 25-30.

Archived