NFL Draft Event Talk

KingTitan

So, I didn't want to put this in the NFL draft thread because it's not player related.

But I'm disappointed in some of my Nashvillians. They are upset about the city removing Cherry Trees so the NFL can make their draft stage. The city has said they would replace them. They weren't being removed permanently.

I heard some talk of someone (NFL?) maybe donating 200 more trees. 

Some people will complain about anything. 

Ignore the Hundreds of Millions of dollars that will be brought in for that week, lets worry about the Cherry trees that are being removed. And it's not like they are even historic trees.  Daniel Boone didn't plant them. They were hand-grown by a historic figure. They are run of the mill Cherry Trees.  

On 4/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, KingTitan said:

So, I didn't want to put this in the NFL draft thread because it's not player related.

But I'm disappointed in some of my Nashvillians. They are upset about the city removing Cherry Trees so the NFL can make their draft stage. The city has said they would replace them. They weren't being removed permanently.

I heard some talk of someone (NFL?) maybe donating 200 more trees. 

Some people will complain about anything. 

Ignore the Hundreds of Millions of dollars that will be brought in for that week, lets worry about the Cherry trees that are being removed. And it's not like they are even historic trees.  Daniel Boone didn't plant them. They were hand-grown by a historic figure. They are run of the mill Cherry Trees.  

Wait... what? That's a wildly optimistic number to expect, even if you are using some kind of loose economics that any future travel to the area is due solely to this event. 

I think the hubbub is more about a city bending over for a private corporation's 3 day event. Sure the trees are only 15-20 years old or whatever, but the draft is a one weekend deal. Make them conform to the location. The city would  be just fine without the draft. Also the initial plan was to cut the trees down, any other plan was just CYA after the fact. 

If some tech company wanted to host a product reveal or a country music award show wanted to build a stage, we'd say it was ridiculous to make a permanent change for a temporary event. NFL shouldn't be any different.

2 hours ago, VY said:

Wait... what? That's a wildly optimistic number to expect, even if you are using some kind of loose economics that any future travel to the area is due solely to this event. 

I think the hubbub is more about a city bending over for a private corporation's 3 day event. Sure the trees are only 15-20 years old or whatever, but the draft is a one weekend deal. Make them conform to the location. The city would  be just fine without the draft. Also the initial plan was to cut the trees down, any other plan was just CYA after the fact. 

If some tech company wanted to host a product reveal or a country music award show wanted to build a stage, we'd say it was ridiculous to make a permanent change for a temporary event. NFL shouldn't be any different.

It is a wild number...lol

But the change isn't permanent.  The 10-11 trees where relocated and will be replaced.  

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

It is a wild number...lol

But the change isn't permanent.  The 10-11 trees where relocated and will be replaced.  

Not to get too in depth here and into a big discussion about the science behind planting trees, but uprooting those trees specifically at this time frame when they're getting ready to bloom would be almost a certain death sentence for them. It's not as simple as "we'll relocate and replace them." Once they're uprooted out of the ground it's pretty much over with, and any trees they replace are going to take years to grow up to the height that those trees grew to.

I'm very happy the draft is here and very excited for the city but for the NFL to just come in and uproot those trees for a three day event was ridiculous to me. Take the city as it is. Don't come in here all guns blazing, disrupt the little natural beauty we still have left in the area, and bolt three days later. We have big events here every year that work around the landscape of the city as it is. The NFL shouldn't get a free pass. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

That and they actually just went and cut them down anyway, after saying they'd be removed and replanted.  So, yeah.

Dunno...
I know it was said they were "cut" down, but everything I've seen with my own peepers is that they moved them and will add new ones in their place when done.  And had the help of "tree pros" lol to do it. 

My own view is it is just a reason to be mad at something. 
Not moving the Grand Ol Opry. Not moving the state capital. Not moving anything historic.  

Cherry trees aren't sacred and to be honest most people never even knew they were there until now. I'm a native Nashvillian, don't know if you are too, but I'm not offended by this. This city isn't known for it's cherry trees. 

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

They’re freaking trees who cares.

I agree.

But to be fair, it is more about the principles of it. I understand that. 

Why change for an event? Take us as we are is the argument from some. 

But that isn't the case.

Events cause change. Whether you have to change traffic patterns for the President coming in town. Cut off an entire city block. Shut down this....or shut down that.  Augmented hours of operation. 
Hosting events cause change.  As long as we aren't tearing down homes, burning people alive :)  then the moving of 10 trees and addition of more shouldn't cause that uproar in my mind. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I agree.

But to be fair, it is more about the principles of it. I understand that. 

Why change for an event? Take us as we are is the argument from some. 

But that isn't the case.

Events cause change. Whether you have to change traffic patterns for the President coming in town. Cut off an entire city block. Shut down this....or shut down that.  Augmented hours of operation. 
Hosting events cause change.  As long as we aren't tearing down homes, burning people alive :)  then the moving of 10 trees and addition of more shouldn't cause that uproar in my mind. 

In a week nobody is gonna care or remember that 10 miniature sized trees were moved lol that’s the problem I’m having. That along with the fact that 99.9% of the people never cared about them in the first place 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

BTW most of us live in home/apartments that are where they are because trees were cut down. Those trees look quite young also. This strikes a particular chord with me since I work for the government as a construction inspector, and the hoops that we have to jump through with EPA, state, and local gov't to remove trees is absurd!!!