Broncos Shopping SS TJ Ward - CUT Signs w TB

elliot878

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

They may have been upset but both were free agents. Elway helped those two get big money. I'm pretty sure most guys understood and rationalized, but I also have no recollection of any real outcry to be honest. This is a lot different. The only comparable situation would be with CJ, but the timing here is worse and TJ is one of the team's leaders.

The timing is the part that is hard to defend. It will likely cost Ward significant $.  For all the talk of respect $ is the bottom line players just like to substitute $ with respect when speaking in public.  

If Elway parted ways in Feb and allowed him to find a home with full suitors there would be an outcry.  But not nearly as loud as it is now given it really screws Ward's chances to recoup lost $.  The vets know this screws Ward $ too.  

All of which to say the optics aren't great.  But if the 2nd year guys play well this will blow over.  If they don't it's a sore spot that lingers.  Thus the risk involved. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The timing is the part that is hard to defend. It will likely cost Ward significant $.  For all the talk of respect $ is the bottom line players just like to substitute $ with respect when speaking in public.  

If Elway parted ways in Feb and allowed him to find a home with full suitors there would be an outcry.  But not nearly as loud as it is now given it really screws Ward's chances to recoup lost $.  The vets know this screws Ward $ too.  

All of which to say the optics aren't great.  But if the 2nd year guys play well this will blow over.  If they don't it's a sore spot that lingers.  Thus the risk involved. 

It's going to be on players' minds in the future when they're thinking about extensions. This is the first time Elway dumped a good and popular player who was still under contract. Players may be disappointed when guys leave but they love seeing each other get paid. Not honoring a contract? Players HATE that. There is a residual effect there, especially given Elway was content to build a locker room full of strong personalities. You can rationalize every other move in that locker room, but not this one.

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It's going to be on players' minds in the future when they're thinking about extensions. This is the first time Elway dumped a good and popular player who was still under contract. Players may be disappointed when guys leave but they love seeing each other get paid. Not honoring a contract? Players HATE that. There is a residual effect there, especially given Elway was content to build a locker room full of strong personalities. You can rationalize every other move in that locker room, but not this one.

Here is the kicker though - the only guys we have up for extension next year are Paradis and maybe Roby.  Everyone else is 2 years away or more from needing an extension.  Time is Elway's friend.   You don't recall the same furor over Trevathan and Malik partly because it's almost 18 months ago.  Elway isn't acting differently than most orgs here - football is the coldest of all sports when it comes to these types of decisions.   Not having to deal with an extension for a key core guy until after 2018 helps insulate Elway.  As time passes the grudges fade.  Especially when what's being done isn't unique to Elway but commonplace across the league.  

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Here is the kicker though - the only guys we have up for extension next year are Paradis and maybe Roby.  Everyone else is 2 years away or more from needing an extension.  Time is Elway's friend.   You don't recall the same furor over Trevathan and Malik partly because it's almost 18 months ago.  Elway isn't acting differently than most orgs here - football is the coldest of all sports when it comes to these types of decisions.   Not having to deal with an extension for a key core guy until after 2018 helps insulate Elway.  As time passes the grudges fade.  Especially when what's being done isn't unique to Elway but commonplace across the league.  

There was no furor over Trevathan and Malik because they became free agents in March, tested the market, and got paid. As @BroncoBruin said, players love seeing other players get paid, there's no ill-will there even if there is sadness when a brother in arms goes to another team. This situation is unique, and while the NFL is cold, hard business and the players are well aware of that, you can't just waive a guy a week before the season starts, especially one of TJ's stature. 

For what it's worth, the players are lobbying Elway hard not to make this move. 

In the locker room, adjacent to the room Joseph had his press conference, there was hue and cry from every corner of the rectangular room for Ward to remain in the Mile High City for the 2017 season, led by the team’s best player.

“I’m with him. I’m with him 100 percent. I don’t think he should be going,” Von Miller said postgame. “That’s a cornerstone of the ‘No Fly Zone.’ The ‘No Fly Zone’ has made me great individually, us great as a defense and us great as an organization.”

33 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There was no furor over Trevathan and Malik because they became free agents in March, tested the market, and got paid. As @BroncoBruin said, players love seeing other players get paid, there's no ill-will there even if there is sadness when a brother in arms goes to another team. This situation is unique, and while the NFL is cold, hard business and the players are well aware of that, you can't just waive a guy a week before the season starts, especially one of TJ's stature. 

For what it's worth, the players are lobbying Elway hard not to make this move. 

As you said though the kicker is the timing.  These kind of hard decisions get made all the time.  The optics suck because ideally you make this call in February and Ward gets to shop his services to a full market.  No one is arguing this part is the tough pill to swallow.  

As bad as this is it's probably not even close to the coldest move in our division - remember Jeremy Maclin's release, 1 week after OTA's?  That happened after he delayed his wedding to attend OTA's.   And cost him huge $.   I'm not saying it excuses Elway but it's a fact of life in this NFL.  As @broncos67 said the smart decision is to part ways a year too soon than a year too late.  What's awful is the timing - as @champ11 noted this will likely screw Ward big $.  

Now to be fair to Elway he probably never intended to wait until now to suddenly cut Ward and screw him over. Jamal Carter's play in the PS forced the issue - Elway probably thought Carter was a PS talent year 1 and never thought he'd flash like he did.   But now he has starred and so Elway & co. have a #'s game at S with their belief Carter won't clear waivers to stash on the PS.   No one here saw that coming doubtful Elway & co.  did either.  But now they are left with making the call now and yeah the timing looks awful.   It also doesn't mean it's the wrong call - just a more painful one. 

But again time heals all wounds.  If our own guys are ready to talk extension in 2018/19 offseason the $ will talk.  What's more of an impact now is whether Ward's run support and blitz timing / enforcer skills can be matched.   If they can be matched and we win games the furor will die down.   If we don't it becomes a lightning rod.  So it's a calculated risk for sure.  Let's face it for better or worse Elway isn't afraid to assume that risk.  

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's official - he's been released. 

K4bB_VNP_normal.jpg Troy Renck (@TroyRenck)
Just confirmed with @BossWard43 .. He has been released. Just damn. @DenverChannel

When I talked about him being traded or cut in early August I was really hoping we'd trade him. The guy has some juice left in the tank.

I'm shocked Elway couldn't get a 4th or 5th. If he plays even 2 more years at a solid level. It's worth his leadership alone.

With that being said i still think the move is 100% the right one. We have 3 young promising safeties who at,this point are faster, and better than,coverage than ward.

Their play will make it the right move. You don't pay 4.5 million for leadership especially on d maybe at qb not d.

26 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

When I talked about him being traded or cut in early August I was really hoping we'd trade him. The guy has some juice left in the tank.

I'm shocked Elway couldn't get a 4th or 5th. If he plays even 2 more years at a solid level. It's worth his leadership alone.

4.5m for a guy in decline isn't getting a pick.  OL or premium positions got a ransom but aging S isn't a scarce resource.  

Wish him well though we will always have SB50 with him.  

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

If we cut Jamal Carter also this was stupid.

Carter is likely the reason Ward got cut.  Elway didn't want to risk having him clear waivers to stash on PS.   Now the 4 safeties we keep are set - Stewart Simmons Parks Carter.  

Archived