Lions sign RB CJ Anderson

SwiftPride

This helps us in a number of ways.  CJ Anderson should be able to handle the #2 RB position.  This will allow us to pursue a more developmental RB later in the draft if we don't see a RB in the earlier rounds.  Part of me thinks that Bob Quin signed Malcom Brown to an offer sheet as a smoke screen.  Smart move.  Good signing.

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To me this feels like the Blount signing last year in that its a little late.  Never have been a big fan of his but he is better than Zenner so at least there is that. 

This is exactly the type of signing I was expecting: KJ is the RB1 but he's not going to get 300 carries. They bring in a vet guy who can carry the load and/or contribute, Zenner could be the RB3/RB4. I still expect them to draft a guy in rounds 4-7 to eventually be the RB2. Still not 100% sure what Riddick's role will be in the offense. The team might still be trying to figure that one out.

4 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I like this. He's a good veteran that should be able to give KJ a break. 

I think that Riddick is probably gone (he's just way too expensive for what he brings to the table). 

I still don't get this thought process.  He isn't that expensive, we have tons of cap space still, and we can use a slot/scat back type player.  He was underutilized, but he still has more value to the team and his contract really isn't excessive. 

15 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I still don't get this thought process.  He isn't that expensive, we have tons of cap space still, and we can use a slot/scat back type player.  He was underutilized, but he still has more value to the team and his contract really isn't excessive. 

Could Riddick's role be filled by a younger guy like a James Williams (RB Washington State)? He's a late round prospect that caught like 200 passes. I know that there are certain things like pass protection that has to be brought into play but I just wonder if Riddick would be more valuable in a different offense.

I like him as a player and he has been one of the better players on the team over the last few years. With an increased focus on running the ball, there are at least two other guys who will be getting the bulk of those snaps ahead of him and we can expect a decrease in pass attempts.

I'm not suggesting that we get rid of Riddick just because but I have a hard time seeing him on the roster when September comes.

Duke Johnson wants a trade. His contract is similar to Riddick's (so if it's a non-issue for TR then should ok for DJ), 25 (TR is 27) and he's a more effective rusher and receiver.

What do you guys think about a trade for a 5th or 6th for Duke?

Don't hate it or love it. I don't know if he'll be anything great. Better options out there still than to settle on an older veteran like this. 

That being said, I think he'll be very average behind Johnson, someone that'll be able to take the tougher yards, 1st downs, goal-line, etc. Not sure he'll be a dual threat out of the backfield like some available could of been. 

He’s 28, 4 yrs younger than Blount. Did quite well in the playoffs against top teams every week. Did well the final 2 games of the season. We got him cheaper than most. What’s wrong with this deal. Every year people over evaluate every little thing. And when he plays this season and has 80 plus yards in a game, no one will step forward & admit they were wrong. Just wait and see before condemning. I actually think we did well in FA across the board & still have plenty left to spend when after the draft teams start cutting more players. So relax 

9 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Duke Johnson wants a trade. His contract is similar to Riddick's (so if it's a non-issue for TR then should ok for DJ), 25 (TR is 27) and he's a more effective rusher and receiver.

What do you guys think about a trade for a 5th or 6th for Duke?

I would be OK for a 6th rounder and maybe switch of 5th round draft positions.

1 hour ago, GetDownandDirty said:

He’s 28, 4 yrs younger than Blount. Did quite well in the playoffs against top teams every week. Did well the final 2 games of the season. We got him cheaper than most. What’s wrong with this deal. Every year people over evaluate every little thing. And when he plays this season and has 80 plus yards in a game, no one will step forward & admit they were wrong. Just wait and see before condemning. I actually think we did well in FA across the board & still have plenty left to spend when after the draft teams start cutting more players. So relax 

I agree with you. I think he'll be a decent RB2 but we're also likely going to add another guy or two in the draft. 

Archived