Lions sign RB CJ Anderson

SwiftPride

59 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Preferably UDFA imo.

The position is a bit shaky, especially if KJ goes down for any period of time. I'd rather get a mid-to-late round guy, especially if one of the top guys falls and/or we've added extra picks. 

KJ - Great RB but has injury question marks

CJ - Older guy that has bounced around. Should be a solid RB2 for at least this year

ZZ - Decent RB3/RB4, isn't a sure thing

TR - Solid third down back but is getting a little older, slower and costs $4M

If they can pull off a trade down I would expect for them to add a RB in the mid rounds with one of their extra picks. Kerryon is obviously the lead back and CJ Anderson can handle a lot of the carries as well. Anderson will take over for Blount's role as the "goaline/short yardage" back. Theo will retain his role as the 2-minute/passing situation back. Zenner will rotate in, maybe get a drive to himself every once in a while just to keep the other guys fresh. It wouldn't be the worst idea to draft someone like Bryce Love, Darrell Henderson, David Mongtomgery, Miles Sanders, Trayveon Williams, Justice Hill, James Williams, Darwin Thompson, Travis Homer, Rodney Anderson, Patrick Laird, etc... you get the point. It's a deep draft as far as receiving backs are concerned and they will need to replace Theo Riddick in 2020 after his contract expires. Having a 2nd-year guy in place would be a really solid plan for them. Signing CJ Anderson gives them the flexibility to not need to add another running back while still being able to add one if there is a good value in the draft.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I still don't get this thought process.  He isn't that expensive, we have tons of cap space still, and we can use a slot/scat back type player.  He was underutilized, but he still has more value to the team and his contract really isn't excessive. 

He is really expensive for a RB. His cap hit is that of a Top 15 RB, and he didn't really have a great year last year. It's hard to say if our new OC sees much of a role for him. If he's just going to be there to do that he did last year, he's not worth the money and we can find someone much cheaper and spend that money someplace else. 

On 4/3/2019 at 7:51 PM, Karnage84 said:

I agree with you. I think he'll be a decent RB2 but we're also likely going to add another guy or two in the draft. 

one or two in the draft?? i hope not 2 100%...maybe one in UDFA would make the most sense to me. 

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

one or two in the draft?? i hope not 2 100%...maybe one in UDFA would make the most sense to me. 

It would depend on how many picks we have/plans for Riddick. They aren't married to Zenner, Anderson is on a one year deal and Riddick is a guy that is also a question mark with his salary, role in the offense. Kerryon is the only guy that has a firm future on the team and he has injury struggles.

Just now, Karnage84 said:

It would depend on how many picks we have/plans for Riddick. They aren't married to Zenner, Anderson is on a one year deal and Riddick is a guy that is also a question mark with his salary, role in the offense. Kerryon is the only guy that has a firm future on the team and he has injury struggles.

Yeah, but RB is to easy to fix....they still have a bad O line and a average QB...one good TE...average to some...one good WR in Golladay...one injry prone WR in Marvin...we have no Talent lmao

3 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Yeah, but RB is to easy to fix....they still have a bad O line and a average QB...one good TE...average to some...one good WR in Golladay...one injry prone WR in Marvin...we have no Talent lmao

Stafford is as good of a QB as the Lions will find this season. He does need more help, especially in protection. Add a RG and the offensive line should be set. A slot WR with a developmental guy would address the WR corp. There is still a long ways to go - draft, UDFA, cap casualties, camp cuts.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, Karnage84 said:

This is exactly the type of signing I was expecting: KJ is the RB1 but he's not going to get 300 carries. They bring in a vet guy who can carry the load and/or contribute, Zenner could be the RB3/RB4. I still expect them to draft a guy in rounds 4-7 to eventually be the RB2. Still not 100% sure what Riddick's role will be in the offense. The team might still be trying to figure that one out.

I think we are locked in at RB. You have your starter, but he's limited in carries like you said, a power guy, theo is the pass catcher and Zenner is what he is as a 4. He can get you 4 ypc and play STs at worst. If you have an injury to any particular one or even two of them, you still have a functional combo of at least some rushing and receiving. Its a bad RB class and next year is loaded. 

6 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I think we are locked in at RB. You have your starter, but he's limited in carries like you said, a power guy, theo is the pass catcher and Zenner is what he is as a 4. He can get you 4 ypc and play STs at worst. If you have an injury to any particular one or even two of them, you still have a functional combo of at least some rushing and receiving. Its a bad RB class and next year is loaded. 

You could be right but I don't know if it changes anything. I remember the Bears drafting Jeremy Langford in 2015 and he had a decent season - 537 yards, 6 TD's on 140 carries. Then the very next year they draft Jordan Howard who rushes for 1300 yards and 6 TD's on 252 carries. They want to go RBBC - even KJ doesn't preclude them from adding to the mix if they feel it will help us win games.

Zenner is a perennial RB4; Riddick is on borrowed time and Anderson has a two year window at best. I don't think the position is set and that competition will be brought in - either in the draft and/or UDFA.

35 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could be right but I don't know if it changes anything. I remember the Bears drafting Jeremy Langford in 2015 and he had a decent season - 537 yards, 6 TD's on 140 carries. Then the very next year they draft Jordan Howard who rushes for 1300 yards and 6 TD's on 252 carries. They want to go RBBC - even KJ doesn't preclude them from adding to the mix if they feel it will help us win games.

Zenner is a perennial RB4; Riddick is on borrowed time and Anderson has a two year window at best. I don't think the position is set and that competition will be brought in - either in the draft and/or UDFA.

Yah, but they have 4 guys they committed more than the minimum salary to. Next year 3 of them are likely gone OTOH. We aren't 100% blocked from taking a RB of course tho by any means

Edited by Nastradamus

5 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yah, but they have 4 guys they committed more than the minimum salary to. Next year 3 of them are likely gone OTOH

Kerryon - $1,478, 113 Cap Hit ($2.8M dead money)

Riddick - $4,625,000 ($962,500 Dead Money)

Kerwyn Williams - $645,000 ($0 Dead Money)

Zenner - $1.05M +/- (Vet min. base with $250,000 guaranteed)

CJ Anderson - $1.44M Cap Hit

TOTAL = $7.8M (16th in league) with league average at $8.1M. The numbers seem a bit off as some contract details haven't been released so we're probably looking at $9M - $10M when all is said and done with Riddick accounting for half of that figure. Outside of KJ, who I would say is safe for a variety of other reasons, none of the other guys are locks. Anderson is probably the next safest given his recent track record and the fact that they signed him with intention to fill a specific role (Blount's).

I do wonder if Quinn signed Brown to that offer sheet to force the Rams' hand so that they could get Anderson. Maybe they liked either guy for the money/role and made the move to make it happen.