Top 5 Reasons You Can’t Blame the Giants for Trading Odell Beckham

footbull3196

12 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Disagree with this one here. You don’t see the Rams trading Aaron Donald during their re-build. The don’t see the Chargers trading Phillip Rivers because they can’t win playoff games. You don’t see the Vikings trading Adrian Peterson, the Lions trading Calvin Johnson, the Texans trading Andre Johnson, the Cardinals trading Larry Fitzgerald, or Dolphins trading Cameron Wake. 

OBJ wasn’t the reason this team wasn’t winning.

To be fair, you can't really compare OBJ to those guys because none of them were constant distractions off the field.  I think if OBJ were similar to Larry Fitzgerald in character he would've retired a NY Giant...

10 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

To be fair, you can't really compare OBJ to those guys because none of them were constant distractions off the field.  I think if OBJ were similar to Larry Fitzgerald in character he would've retired a NY Giant...

Fair point, but does anyone think Minnesota was better off parting ways with Moss? Or the Eagles/Cowboys better off without Owens? We’ll see about Pittsburgh, but I don’t think they’re a better team without Brown/Bell than they are with them. 

Plus, that point made in the OP was really addressing the fact that NYG haven’t succeeded even with OBJ’s skills - so why not trade him. I disagree.

27 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Fair point, but does anyone think Minnesota was better off parting ways with Moss? Or the Eagles/Cowboys better off without Owens? We’ll see about Pittsburgh, but I don’t think they’re a better team without Brown/Bell than they are with them. 

Plus, that point made in the OP was really addressing the fact that NYG haven’t succeeded even with OBJ’s skills - so why not trade him. I disagree.

As I said earlier, trading OBJ itself certainly doesn't make the Giants a better team and I don't think anybody is making that case.  But trading OBJ creates the possibility of the Giants becoming a better team down the road (they did get a 1st, a 3rd, and a good young player for him which is a far cry from what Pittsburgh managed to get for Brown).  Clearly the Giants were uncomfortable with OBJ on the roster (which is why I have much more of a problem with them extending his contract last year than I do with trading him) and they also decided a full-blown rebuild was in order (hence the jettisoning of other big money players like Collins and Vernon).  I think their rationale with OBJ is that the team wasn't going to succeed anyway with Eli still their QB so might as well trade OBJ now while his trade value is high, then focus on finding young (and cheap) players through the draft until they can get a QB.  We won't know if that will actually work for a while though...

I totally get why they're all about Eli. If Baker wins two Superbowls for us then I would want to leave it totally down to him when he decides to step back. Plus Eli is a Manning.

It was a trade that made sense for both teams. A team is never a WR away from a winning, but we're not just adding a WR. Plus we were in a position where we could afford to pay what we did.

Things happen. OBJ isn't a bad guy whatsoever. His relationship with the Giants just came to a head. Too much water under the bridge.

Alot of eli haters here.  Odell hasn't been anything great in over 2 years.  Odell cost us the packer playoff game not eli.  Eli was great in that game.  Eli had over 4k passing yards and over 20 tds with a terrible offense line.  It's funny how many times Odell and other receivers dropped and tipped the ball and resulted in turnovers but eli takes the blame.   Can eli throw the ball for 60 yards no but doesnt mean hes finished.   Every qb has bad games but hes the only qb getting crushed out of 32 teams.    Yes hes heading downward but hes not the reason why they are losing.  

On 4/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, Malik said:

The Giants are going to get rid of Sterling Shepard. The Giants losing has significantly more to do with Eli than Odell who currently needs perfect conditions to be a functional QB.

The Browns/Baker prolly would have rather had him instead because it be cheaper and Baker has a better relationship with Shepard

28 minutes ago, Cuziam71 said:

Alot of eli haters here.  Odell hasn't been anything great in over 2 years.

If Odell hasn't been great then what would you call Eli Manning?

It amazes me that people are still on the Eli Manning train. I'm pretty sure Herbert's dog from Family Guy takes better care of the football than Eli. He's doodie.

Eli passed for 4299 yards passing which was 9th in the league so where the dip off.  The dip off was Odell and the other receivers dropped balls.  Oh wait now make a excuse that he throws the ball weird.   I'm a huge giant fan and I was excited they got rid Odell.  Best thing.  

4 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

Alot of eli haters here.  Odell hasn't been anything great in over 2 years.  Odell cost us the packer playoff game not eli.  Eli was great in that game.  Eli had over 4k passing yards and over 20 tds with a terrible offense line.  It's funny how many times Odell and other receivers dropped and tipped the ball and resulted in turnovers but eli takes the blame.   Can eli throw the ball for 60 yards no but doesnt mean hes finished.   Every qb has bad games but hes the only qb getting crushed out of 32 teams.    Yes hes heading downward but hes not the reason why they are losing.  

So did literally every quarterback in the league lol.... His statistics are less indicative of good quarterback play and more indicative of the dink and dunk passing era that we’re in.  Statistically it might look like one of the best seasons of his career, until you consider the fact that today’s passing stats are so inflated that Eli was still among the bottom 10 quarterbacks in the league, if not the bottom 5.  And this is considering he had generational star talent at RB and WR as well as a nice 2nd WR

I wouldn’t take Eli over very many quarterbacks in the league.  He can’t throw beyond 10 yards accurately anymore.  Go look at his pass charts from this past season.  The clear majority of his pass attempts were within 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  There’s no real defense to keeping him at this point

Archived