RaidersAreOne

The AAF to cease football operations

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The XFL certainly isn't going to be better lol. The only reason it'll last longer is because Vince will burn money to keep it afloat thanks to his ego and terrible business acumen.

XFL will have better:

- Commish/President. Vince isn’t running the league this time btw. 

- Way better marketing. 

- Way way better team names and logos. God was AAF trash. This will lead to more sales with merchandise and turn a profit quicker. 

- They are gonna be a little more innovative than AAF. Not gimmicky, but not boring like AAF. 

It will be just a much better ran league. The guys in charge of AAF had no idea what they are doing. Oliver is a pro. 

Edited by BayRaider

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Has Vince made his money purely from the WWE? I know he’s a billionaire, but that’s insane.

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2018/07-26-2018-133155541

In Q2 of 2018 (span of 3 months), the WWE had a net revenue of almost 300 million. I don't know where this money is coming from (that many love the WWE???), but if there is anyone who can fund a league that will lose money for 3 years, he's the guy.

Edited by Here'sJim

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The XFL certainly isn't going to be better lol. The only reason it'll last longer is because Vince will burn money to keep it afloat thanks to his ego and terrible business acumen.

I mean, he's made a lot of questionable decisions, but I don't think you could call him a terrible businessman.  Dude turned the WWE into one of the most popular companies (wrestling or otherwise) in the world through expansion (right or wrong) and they have a gazillion of fans.  And even though TV ratings have dropped (some of the reasons unrelated to Vince/the product), they still seem to get more popular every year.

He might not be able to translate that kind of success to the XFL (I don't see the long-term demand for football outside of the NFL/CFB; minor leagues and the NBA G League are at least affiliated with their pro counterparts), but he's for the most part excelled in the business he's in.  

Edited by iknowcool

20 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2018/07-26-2018-133155541

In Q2 of 2018 (span of 3 months), the WWE had a net revenue of almost 300 million. I don't know where this money is coming from (that many love the WWE???), but if there is anyone who can fund a league that will lose money for 3 years, he's the guy.

Plus they are about to make a lot more money once they move to Fox.  That deal is something like $200m annually.  Plus the money they get from house shows, weekly television, streaming service, merchandise, advertisements, etc.  

It's kinda crazy how big they have gotten, actually.  I try to keep up with it but rarely watch because of how unrewarding it can be, and even I'm still subscribed to the WWE Network.  Just so easy for them to make money nowadays.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, he's made a lot of questionable decisions, but I don't think you could call him a terrible businessman.  Dude turned the WWE into one of the most popular companies (wrestling or otherwise) in the world through expansion (right or wrong) and they have a gazillion of fans.  And even though TV ratings have dropped (some of the reasons unrelated to Vince/the product), they still seem to get more popular every year.

He might not be able to translate that kind of success to the XFL (I don't see the long-term demand for football outside of the NFL/CFB; minor leagues and the NBA G League are at least affiliated with their pro counterparts), but he's for the most part excelled in the business he's in.  

Rojonecks having 4 kids a year adds to the wwes demographic

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

XFL will have better:

- Way better marketing. 

- Way way better team names and logos. God was AAF trash. This will lead to more sales with merchandise and turn a profit quicker. 

- They are gonna be a little more innovative than AAF. Not gimmicky, but not boring like AAF. 

It will be just a much better ran league. The guys in charge of AAF had no idea what they are doing. Oliver is a pro. 

There's a lot of misplaced trust in Oliver Luck in this thread.

Just now, Manny/Patrick said:

Somebody call Ja

Lol a lot of people are saying this was the Fyre Festival for a sports league.

Completely unsurprising. Feels like they spent like a week actually developing this idea in addition to actively marketing themselves as an inferior product.

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

XFL will have better:

- Way better marketing. 

If you honestly believe these points you've never seen anything owned by Vince McMahon. 

It doesn't matter who the Commish/President is. Vince McMahon is notoriously one of the biggest control freaks in media. He hires some of the best television writers out there and then will just arbitrarily rewrite scripts right before and during the show. He is not sinking the money he is into this and not having total control. The names and logos won't really matter. People root for teams based off their success and geography. The innovations and gimmicks will depend on how the league is doing. Vince won't be able to help himself. 

The marketing is really the only salient point you have. 

You're betting your money on Vince McMahon having the restraint to not meddle. You will lose that bet every single time. The dude has been at it for 40 years. He can't help himself.