The AAF to cease football operations

RaidersAreOne

The NFL thrives on quality football being played 5 months out of the year. Personally, don't think the XFL will survive long either. The on-field product will probably look similar to AAF

The NFL does need a developmental feeder league...like yesterday

11 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

I always love it when pizza delivery boys with 30,000+ posts on Internet message boards call self-made billionaires bad businessmen. That level of self-delusion has to be bliss.

I love people who are so infatuated that someone made money doing something that they think it must mean they are infallible. 

1. Vince McMahon has failed at virtually every single venture he’s ever had outside of wrestling. 

2. Vince McMahon has failed at this EXACT same thing (the XFL) once in the past. But that should be impossible because he’s a billionaire and can’t be bad at business. 

3. Vince’s current business is succeeding because it’s a monopoly that basically outlasted poorly run competition and has expanded. 

4. When you say self made you mean Vince took the company his dad built which was already the premier wrestling territory in the North East that had one of the biggest drawing stars in the world (Sammartino) and then just threw a bunch of money to steal talent from all his dad’s old business partners to wipe them out. Oh and he nearly went bankrupt when someone competent did the exact same thing to him for like 3 years until they hired a bunch of idiots. But I guess Ted Turner is also a billionaire so I can’t blame him for that. 

Don’t be a money mark. Vince McMahon built an empire in wrestling but like most things it was a combination of ambition, opportunity and luck. The two biggest stars he ever had that helped him take over the territories and then pushed his business to its zenith were Hulk Hogan who got famous because he was in Rocky III (something Vince had nothing to do with) and Steve Austin who Vince wasn’t even planning on pushing until he got popular. Now kudos to him because he jumped on it when the situations presented itself but he wasn’t some mastermind who orchestrated either of those. Aside from that, since then he’s been very adept at expanding the monopoly that resulted from that. To the point where right now it is withstanding a decades long viewership decline because he’s maximized revenue from a much smaller audience. 

Every single time he’s ventured outside of that, he’s completely flopped. Vince at his peak in the early 2000’s completely nosedived with this exact same project. Vince in his entire history of business has never not been a control freak, that isn’t changing magically in his 70’s. Literally every league that’s ever tried to do something like this has failed. Every single one. 

I thought some of the names and uniforms were pretty good. Atlanta had good looking unis as well as Birmingham.

Express and Iron are classic names. Express was a team in the USFL.

Here's a AAF designer posting on Reddit. You want to say how much he sucked to his face? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AAF_Football/comments/b8nsdp/as_a_designer_for_the_aaf_i_just_want_to_say/

21 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I love people who are so infatuated that someone made money doing something that they think it must mean they are infallible. 

1. Vince McMahon has failed at virtually every single venture he’s ever had outside of wrestling. 

2. Vince McMahon has failed at this EXACT same thing (the XFL) once in the past. But that should be impossible because he’s a billionaire and can’t be bad at business. 

3. Vince’s current business is succeeding because it’s a monopoly that basically outlasted poorly run competition and has expanded. 

4. When you say self made you mean Vince took the company his dad built which was already the premier wrestling territory in the North East that had one of the biggest drawing stars in the world (Sammartino) and then just threw a bunch of money to steal talent from all his dad’s old business partners to wipe them out. Oh and he nearly went bankrupt when someone competent did the exact same thing to him for like 3 years until they hired a bunch of idiots. But I guess Ted Turner is also a billionaire so I can’t blame him for that. 

Don’t be a money mark. Vince McMahon built an empire in wrestling but like most things it was a combination of ambition, opportunity and luck. The two biggest stars he ever had that helped him take over the territories and then pushed his business to its zenith were Hulk Hogan who got famous because he was in Rocky III (something Vince had nothing to do with) and Steve Austin who Vince wasn’t even planning on pushing until he got popular. Now kudos to him because he jumped on it when the situations presented itself but he wasn’t some mastermind who orchestrated either of those. Aside from that, since then he’s been very adept at expanding the monopoly that resulted from that. To the point where right now it is withstanding a decades long viewership decline because he’s maximized revenue from a much smaller audience. 

Every single time he’s ventured outside of that, he’s completely flopped. Vince at his peak in the early 2000’s completely nosedived with this exact same project. Vince in his entire history of business has never not been a control freak, that isn’t changing magically in his 70’s. Literally every league that’s ever tried to do something like this has failed. Every single one. 

And a big reason the USFL lasted as long as it did was because it had some elite level talent.

26 minutes ago, orpheus200 said:

I thought some of the names and uniforms were pretty good. Atlanta had good looking unis as well as Birmingham.

Express and Iron are classic names. Express was a team in the USFL.

Here's a AAF designer posting on Reddit. You want to say how much he sucked to his face? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AAF_Football/comments/b8nsdp/as_a_designer_for_the_aaf_i_just_want_to_say/

You can go ahead and tell him they were terrible. 

It literally looked like they opened Paint, came together with something after a weeek, and boom the ****show of the AAF is born. Even the league name was terrible. 

LOL! This forum has turned into an argument over some tool who oversaw a soap opera about men in schweddy tights!

Bad uniforms aside (NDSU, er, I mean AZ = Wow!), I liked the idea of a developmental league and had hoped that's what the AAF would become. I think there is value in fringe players getting reps so that the NFL could address some depth issues. And for anyone still hoping for some sort of expansion, that extra training would be crucial to help fill out NFL rosters with adequate players. If the XFL can do this in the future without a bunch of overhyped cheese, cool, but I'm not holding my breathe.

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

were Hulk Hogan who got famous because he was in Rocky III (something Vince had nothing to do with)

It was a mutual thing.  Hogan was well-known before he went back to the WWF, but the WWF and his presence in it absolutely helped make him an even greater mega star.  At the very least, he certainly isn't remembered at the level he is now if his career ended at Rocky III.  He was famous and then he became an absolute superstar. 

And I don't even know what you mean saying he wasn't planning on pushing Austin?  Upon signing, he was immediately paired with one of the greatest talkers the business has ever seen, won the King of the Ring in less than a year of signing, and immediately went into a feud with arguably the biggest face in the company at the time - Bret Hart.  In 2 years, he won the Royal Rumble, and that was even before he turned face.  So how exactly was he not planning to push Austin?  He was pushed from the start.  He got popular because the company gave him an opportunity to shine and Austin is talented as hell, so it worked.

Some of McMahon's success was luck... but you could literally argue that for any billionaire.  Damn near every billionaire achieved that with luck.  At the end of the day, he took a product most people didn't seem to respect/understand (and considering some of the comments in this thread, some people still don't) and turned it into a global phenomenon.  WrestleMania, McMahons' creation, is consistently one of the biggest sporting/entertainment events every year.  It's been 34 years since the first WrestleMania and the company is more successful, at least financially, as it has ever been.  It's worth a crap-ton of money.  I mean maybe it would make sense if the company expanded and that was that, but they have just kept growing and growing ever since.  

He's made some poor decisions as has any billionaire and I'm not suggesting his success with the WWE guarantees success with the XFL (probably won't watch regardless), but it seems like some of you are either not giving him enough credit or your standard is that every millionaire/billionaire has achieved or should achieve success with perfect decision making or complete self-dependence.  And that is rarely if ever the case. I'm far from his biggest fan considering how bad the on-screen product (to me anyway) can be nowadays not to mention the backstage stories and his morale compass, but objectively he's obviously doing something right.  They keep making a crap-ton of $$$ and have for a long time now.  I don't think you could just sum that up to luck.  Hell I'd reckon to say that Vince, compared to other billionaires, had far less to work with to begin.  He started with a territorial wrestling promotion in 1982.  Most other billionaires started off with a lot more than that.

8 hours ago, Jared Jammer said:

I always love it when pizza delivery boys with 30,000+ posts on Internet message boards call self-made billionaires bad businessmen. That level of self-delusion has to be bliss.

Show me on the dummy where the man burned you.

11 hours ago, lancerman said:

If you honestly believe these points you've never seen anything owned by Vince McMahon.

He's a crazy dude whose brain is probably addled by steroid and drug use by this point.  The WWE has been successful despite him as much as because of him.

10 hours ago, Jared Jammer said:

There are tons of billionaires and multi-millionaires who are terrible business men (and women), but either have workers that put out a good enough product regardless, or started with enough wealth to be insulated against failure.

Archived