Bears Strengths and Weaknesses

dll2000

Rating 2019 position groups strongest to weakest on team. 

Categories:  QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, ILB, OLB (edge), CB, S

1) ILB 

I can't think of a better ILB duo in entire NFL in 2019 than Smith and Trevathan project to be on paper.  Maybe Kuechly and Thompson if healthy.  

2,3,4) Tie: DL, OLB, S.  

Mack is best OLB in league and bumps up the group.  Rest of group is underwhelming though Floyd's athleticism makes total game interesting and can impact a football game in positive ways.  Back ups are meh.  

DL as a group is very good led by Hicks.  It might not have very best players like other groups do, but all 3 starters are good to very good.  Back ups are good for back ups.  Their depth of talent is what puts them this high.

Jackson is arguably best cover FS in league right now and Dix is a first round athlete that has never had less than 3 picks in a season I believe.  These two provide more coverage range as a duo than any team in the league.  Their 'weakness' is tackling, otherwise I put them at no. 1.    I like Jackson/Dix better than Jackson/Amos.   Bush is a decent back up.  

5,6) Tie: WR, OL

You wouldn't say any Bears WR is elite or all pro at this point, but as a group they are good.   Robinson has had one dominant season and while it wasn't enough production he had flashes of greatness last year coming off a serious injury.  Miller had a great season for a rookie and played hurt most of year.  Gabriel made a ton of big plays in key situations.  Cohen can be classified as a WR and is a match up nightmare on inside.  Wims made plays every opportunity he was given.  

You have two of best young talents in entire league in Daniels and Whitehair.  Long hasn't been himself for a long time, but this year will be his first healthy offseason in years.  That could pay big dividends (hopefully).  Leno and Massie have been two of most consistent T's in the league, neither great nor bad.  Their availability has been amazingly above average. Depth is bad to very bad.

7) CB

Fuller had his best year ever and Prince was his usual steady self.  I think while these guys are good, they benefit from greater talent around them.  Tolliver played well in spot duty and during injuries and looks to be heir apparent to Prince.  I like his potential and wouldn't be shocked if he starts several games this year because he supplanted someone or due to injury. Skrine is a long time veteran who can struggle on an island, but is a good blitzer and tenacious player.  Back ups are serviceable.   

8) QB

Trubisky had his first taste of a real offseason for first time.  Last year was essentially his rookie year and he looked it at times.  He had some bone head plays and some jaw dropping plays.  Pass to Shaheen after avoiding sack in 2nd GB game was 10/10 play for example.   This year will be year to judge him by going forward.  I think he has more talent than national media and fans think.   Week after week fans during Bears week said that they were scared of Bears, but not Trubisky.  I think that changes this year.  Daniel had to start two games last year and played well in one (Detroit) and IMO kinda stunk in other (Giants).  As a second coach to MT he has reportedly been outstanding.  Not in room or sideline with them, but that's word on the street.  That has value.  

9) TE 

Looked good in offseason and camp, Shaheen injury kind of derailed their overall effectiveness on the offense as a duo.  Burton still played very well at times.  Disappeared at times too.  May shock some people next year if they can stay healthy.  Depth is bad and that drops them.  

10) RB

Aside from Cohen its going to be all new faces.  Running game was weakest part of team last year.  Davis looks to be an upgrade on Howard for this scheme.  Cohen and Patterson can make big plays any time they touch the football.   I think a 4th member joins this group from draft.

----

Our "weakest" positions aren't weak.  They are just weak relative to strong positions.  Why I am more excited for this season than I have been for any season since '85.

Archived