Jaguars sign RB Benny Cunningham

.Buzz

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Good coaches don't just burn bridges with talent because they're a "problem".  They work on fixing it the problem.

Since when?

Maybe legit talent worth the headache/working on it. Yeldon is a 3rd down RB that's solid in pass pro. No one has even signed him yet...sure looks like people are salivating at the thought of him out there even without the issues he had here.

If he was as good as your making him out to be he wouldn't still be out there without a job. Factor in his attitude and his issues here, good riddance. Draft a guy in the mid/late rounds and get someone cheaper that can do the same thing.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Better coaches have burned bridges with better players or moved on because the player had an attitude problem. 

Seriously.

I'd be behind getting it fixed if the player was worth doing it for. But Yeldon is a solid depth/3rd down guy, nothing more. He is still sitting out there without a job for a reason. Factor in you can find RBs all over in the draft and sometimes even in UDFA...

I get the sentiment that we need to do more at the RB position, because I agree with that. I just don't get the frustration with signing two guys for cheap deals who are going to come in and compete. Especially don't get the frustration before we have even hit the draft.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Since when?

Maybe legit talent worth the headache/working on it. Yeldon is a 3rd down RB that's solid in pass pro. No one has even signed him yet...sure looks like people are salivating at the thought of him out there even without the issues he had here.

If he was as good as your making him out to be he wouldn't still be out there without a job. Factor in his attitude and his issues here, good riddance. Draft a guy in the mid/late rounds and get someone cheaper that can do the same thing.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Seriously.

I'd be behind getting it fixed if the player was worth doing it for. But Yeldon is a solid depth/3rd down guy, nothing more. He is still sitting out there without a job for a reason. Factor in you can find RBs all over in the draft and sometimes even in UDFA...

It's not like i'm deeply attached to Yeldon or anything.  Was just fine with letting him walk.  Especially considering the apparent "problems" and what is probably too high a contract ask pricing him out of his real market.  He's nothing special at all.

It's just that despite what you're saying here...he'd still be by far the 2nd best RB on our roster right now.  And realistically, other than maybe Collins (who has some off-field stuff to slog through, in addition to disappointing performance after his little breakout)...Yeldon is the best HB left on the Free Agent market at this point.

And with the way Fournette's track record has gone, whichever of these vet guys end up sticking on the roster will get playing time.  Even if we draft a guy.

3 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I get the sentiment that we need to do more at the RB position, because I agree with that. I just don't get the frustration with signing two guys for cheap deals who are going to come in and compete. Especially don't get the frustration before we have even hit the draft.

Again, nobody really cares if the team signs some cheap kinda sucky depth guys who may or may not even make the roster.  That's whatever.  Every team has bunches of these guys at all sorts of positions.

The frustration is with this group's track record and what this collection spells out when you start looking at numbers.  There's really nothing else good out there as FA anymore.  So there are 3 of these fringe #4ish "don't get upset because they might not even make the roster" types on the depth chart right now.  Plus Fournette.  That's 4 RBs.  Add a guy in the draft and that bumps one of them off the likely roster.  Are we drafting 2 RBs though?  Unless we are...at least 2/3 "might not even make the roster" caliber RBs are going to be on our roster.

If one of them is your 4th guy, great!  Any of the 3 is a nice upgrade over our dreadful 4th RB going into last season.

If one of them is your 3rd guy and the other is your 4th guy though, as it's setting up to be...one tweaked hammy for Lenny and at least one of these guys who apparently isn't even worth getting frustrated over because they're so fringe, is going to be your tandem significant carries guy.  And that's assuming we find a stud #2RB in the draft, which is hardly a given.  Not great!

It just has the look of heading toward the same darn car wreck they hit last season when they went in with just Fournette/Yeldon/Grant and it went badly.  Instead of getting all frustrated, making kneejerk trades and dragging Fournette's reputation through the mud because they're unhappy with how long it's taking him to get healthy and their running game is pathetic in the meantime...why not invest in some quality insurance in the offseason and keep their picks?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

35 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Again, nobody really cares if the team signs some cheap kinda sucky depth guys who may or may not even make the roster.  That's whatever.  Every team has bunches of these guys at all sorts of positions.

The frustration is with this group's track record and what this collection spells out when you start looking at numbers.  There's really nothing else good out there as FA anymore.  So there are 3 of these fringe #4ish "don't get upset because they might not even make the roster" types on the depth chart right now.  Plus Fournette.  That's 4 RBs.  Add a guy in the draft and that bumps one of them off the likely roster.  Are we drafting 2 RBs though?  Unless we are...at least 2/3 "might not even make the roster" caliber RBs are going to be on our roster.

If one of them is your 4th guy, great!  Any of the 3 is a nice upgrade over our dreadful 4th RB going into last season.

If one of them is your 3rd guy and the other is your 4th guy though, as it's setting up to be...one tweaked hammy for Lenny and at least one of these guys who apparently isn't even worth getting frustrated over because they're so fringe, is going to be your tandem significant carries guy.  And that's assuming we find a stud #2RB in the draft, which is hardly a given.  Not great!

It just has the look of heading toward the same darn car wreck they hit last season when they went in with just Fournette/Yeldon/Grant and it went badly.  Instead of getting all frustrated, making kneejerk trades and dragging Fournette's reputation through the mud because they're unhappy with how long it's taking him to get healthy and their running game is pathetic in the meantime...why not invest in some quality insurance in the offseason and keep their picks?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I mean, what were they supposed to do then at RB? Like, where is this "quality insurance"? Most of the top free agent RBs are guys who are or will be wanting to go somewhere where they'll be the RB1 (and they did, or in the case of Jay Ajayi, seem to be waiting). Tevin Coleman didn't really do a lot to show he's much different from Yeldon. CJ Anderson was available and was an option, but he probably didn't want to go somewhere that will lean as heavily on the RB1 as we will; not to mention that justified or not, there's a reason why he was a free agent so deep into last season.

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Good coaches don't just burn bridges with talent because they're a "problem".  They work on fixing it the problem.

Agreed but clearly it seems they the coaches don’t feel like the talent outways the antics. So when you have a situation like that you can assure Yeldon may not be touched until some training camp injuries. I’ve also noticed a trend that if you cross Coughlin he has a way of kind of sullying your name. Clearly Yeldon hasn’t even got a whiff from the other 31 teams 😏.

My issue with the running back situation is you can pretty much assure Benny will be primarily a kick returner. Fournette, Rawls, Blue are all essentially the same type of backs. I thought Ajayi would have been a good get if you could have got him for a few mill a yr. This team does some really unorthodox stuff.. and frankly I don’t like it.

Archived