Jaguars re-sign swing backup T Josh Wells

What's "gross" about this?  He's shown brief flashes of at least looking like a serviceable backup/swing Tackle.  He'll almost certainly be cheap.  You can't look at how our OLine completely fell apart due to poor Tackle play and think it's a bad idea to retain a guy who at least looked like he might not be totally useless there.

If we were talking the other Josh, Walker, i'd understand "gross"...

27 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This title is bad...

The guy is a depth OL. Much worse backup OTs league wide.

how is a guy good depth when hes rarely healthy and if hes forced to play gets hurt in under 5 games?  i much rather have a guy whos durable and slightly worse then a turnstile like wells who cant stay healthy. flowers looked better then him last year and if its more then a vet min deal Coughlin needs to be put down permanatly cuz he is doing the same mistakes that caused us to go to cap hell the 1st time except this time there is no easy excape(IE expansion draft on the books). 

Just now, Tugboat said:

What's "gross" about this?  He's shown brief flashes of at least looking like a serviceable backup/swing Tackle.  He'll almost certainly be cheap.  You can't look at how our OLine completely fell apart due to poor Tackle play and think it's a bad idea to retain a guy who at least looked like he might not be totally useless there.

If we were talking the other Josh, Walker, i'd understand "gross"...

josh wells is a Below average pass protector and to resign him when we already have some better guys on the roster that can be the swing guy is dumb. 

we paying foles good money to throw the ball.  deflippio was fired from the vikings for being 2 pass happy.  u do the math but if josh wells sees the field at all on offense with delippio calling games we are screwed and foles will get hurt. 

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

how is a guy good depth when hes rarely healthy and if hes forced to play gets hurt in under 5 games?  i much rather have a guy whos durable and slightly worse then a turnstile like wells who cant stay healthy. flowers looked better then him last year and if its more then a vet min deal Coughlin needs to be put down permanatly cuz he is doing the same mistakes that caused us to go to cap hell the 1st time except this time there is no easy excape(IE expansion draft on the books). 

I can't imagine Wells deal is going to ring in far above minimum.  Like you said, he hasn't really been able to stay healthy when he was actually called upon and hasn't really proven to be anything other than a guy who might be able to keep his head above water in short stints.

Sure, for the same money i'd take Ereck Flowers over Wells, based on how he rehabilitated his game with us last year.  But they're not going to be the same money.  Flowers got a significant $3.2M deal from the Redskins.  Giving depth guys that kind of contract is probably more how you thrash your cap situation, than giving a guy like Wells a minimal sort of deal.  Flowers dead money is probably greater than Wells total contract is going to come in at.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I can't imagine Wells deal is going to ring in far above minimum.  Like you said, he hasn't really been able to stay healthy when he was actually called upon and hasn't really proven to be anything other than a guy who might be able to keep his head above water in short stints.

Sure, for the same money i'd take Ereck Flowers over Wells, based on how he rehabilitated his game with us last year.  But they're not going to be the same money.  Flowers got a significant $3.2M deal from the Redskins.  Giving depth guys that kind of contract is probably more how you thrash your cap situation, than giving a guy like Wells a minimal sort of deal.  Flowers dead money is probably greater than Wells total contract is going to come in at.

we could have used that cann contract for flowers to either have flowers start at RG or RT. 

6 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

josh wells is a Below average pass protector and to resign him when we already have some better guys on the roster that can be the swing guy is dumb. 

we paying foles good money to throw the ball.  deflippio was fired from the vikings for being 2 pass happy.  u do the math but if josh wells sees the field at all on offense with delippio calling games we are screwed and foles will get hurt. 

Who do we have on the roster who is already better and can be the swing tackle?  Ogbuehi maybe if he manages to rehab his game like Flowers did here last year?  Having more than one guy is important.

This isn't like the way they're collecting junk at RB.  Finding guys who can give you even close to average swing OT play for cheap is worth doing, with the state of OLine play in the league these days and the scarcity.  Unlike RB, where guys who are better than Rawls/Cunningham/Blue are coming out the woodwork and dirt cheap.

Just now, Tugboat said:

Who do we have on the roster who is already better and can be the swing tackle?  Ogbuehi maybe if he manages to rehab his game like Flowers did here last year?  Having more than one guy is important.

This is like the way they're collecting junk at RB.  Finding guys who can give you even close to average swing OT play for cheap is worth doing, with the state of OLine play in the league these days and the scarcity.  Unlike RB, where guys who are better than Rawls/Cunningham/Blue are coming out the woodwork and dirt cheap.

well depending who we draft it could easily be will richardson or cedric ogbuehi. 

Cunningham is an Elite Ster.   

we could have used that cann contract for flowers to either have flowers start at RG or RT. 

I wouldn't want to go into the season expecting Flowers to start at either spot.  That'd be "gross".  I don't like the number Cann came in at either, but i like him penciled in as a RG starter than i do Flowers.  And i think getting a better RT starter has to be a top priority via the draft.  Ideally someone who has a bit of upside at LT themselves, if Cam doesn't come back strong or ends up nagged by injury.

18 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I wouldn't want to go into the season expecting Flowers to start at either spot.  That'd be "gross".  I don't like the number Cann came in at either, but i like him penciled in as a RG starter than i do Flowers.  And i think getting a better RT starter has to be a top priority via the draft.  Ideally someone who has a bit of upside at LT themselves, if Cam doesn't come back strong or ends up nagged by injury.

flowers looked decent over there at LT and i feel like he would make a better guard then tackle.  

flowers looked decent over there at LT and i feel like he would make a better guard then tackle.  

Really, nothing about our offense as a whole looked "decent" after Cam went down, and especially after Wells dropped as well.  Flowers was...a lot better than expected, but let's not get carried away with it.  Ideally, neither of Flowers or Cann is starting anywhere on your line...if you want to really dominate the trenches, run the ball, and keep your QB clean.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Really, nothing about our offense as a whole looked "decent" after Cam went down, and especially after Wells dropped as well.  Flowers was...a lot better than expected, but let's not get carried away with it.  Ideally, neither of Flowers or Cann is starting anywhere on your line...if you want to really dominate the trenches, run the ball, and keep your QB clean.

it looked alot better from a pressure perspective compared to walker and wells. 

Archived