Draft discussion

Warhorse

5 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Hey folks, Brooksie checking in from Browns country to congratulate you on your newest WR Parris Campbell. I have been watching football for 50 years now - and I can say Parris is a true game changer.

My kids attended SVSM HS. (yes LeBron's school too). They have long since graduated, but I still see 3 or 4 of their games a year. I also know that high school is LIGHT YEARS from an NFL game. But there are three plays that stick out that define his greatest weapon - his speed.

State semifinal game vs Dover HS - Parris takes the hand off in his own end zone, off tackle, clears the LOS at his own 5, and he is gone. Last kid with a shot was at own 40 - no contest. 95 Yd TD.

Regular season in a game at Dayton Welcome Stadium. Irish take over after a punt is downed on their 2 yard line. First play - toss sweep. I remember seeing the blocking develop and screaming at my buddy (while Parris is still in our own end zone "He's gone! He's gone!" And he was. 98 yards in 4.4 nanoseconds......

State title game in 2013. Because their college team is ineligible for postseason play, some dude named Urban Meyer shows up. Parris takes a fly sweep to the house on the Irish's 3rd snap of the game to the house. Urban offers him a full ride on the spot.

His game grew exponentially with Haskins as his QB last year. You will love this kid. You will never be too far out to score with Parris on the field.

Thank you so much!

On 4/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Awesome insight, thanks man. Frank Reich was gushing over him. Speed Athleticism and Character are the traits they loved about him. Hilton is going to be 30 this year so the Colts really need someone to take attention off him. I'm excited to see what this offense looks like with Campbell and Deon Cain 

What not many people know about Parris is he was still 16 when he graduated HS, and had JUST turned 17 when he moved away to Columbus. If there ever was a kid who needed a redshirt year to adjust to college life - It was Parris. He had been utilized as an all purpose back in HS. He had to transition to a full time WR in college.

He had his struggles, but he kept working at it. By the time his redshirt senior season rolled around , he had all his ducks in a row. He absolutely blossomed with Dwayne Haskins as his QB.

Bottom line - the kid is not afraid of hard work, and is a winner.

• Like 2

this YouTube video includes most of the player selections from the draft (except for Parris Campbell) and some video of each players college highlights  

included in the video

- 12:13 mark / from a Miss St-NC State game are DE Gerri Green intercepting a pass from Jacoby Brissett to Nyheim Hines. 

- 13:22 mark / C Javon Patterson clearing a lane for a Jordan Wilkins run 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this article earlier today in NFL General but I didn't fully have a chance to read it all the way through at that  moment. 

https://www.colts.com/news/step-inside-the-colts-draft-room-with-chris-ballard

I seen some people mention, and after reading the article, it looks like we are going to use a little of the Seattle secondary scheme. They call it step kick. The DBs press the WR at the line of scrimmage wait for the WR to make the first move, then when the WR (step) enters the DBs sphere (arm length) he makes contact (kick). This allows the DB to 1. Not commit to moving one way or another and 2. allows the WR to commit to his route before the DB makes contact. Apparantly Tell, Willis, and Ya-Sin fit that mold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I posted this article earlier today in NFL General but I didn't fully have a chance to read it all the way through at that  moment. 

https://www.colts.com/news/step-inside-the-colts-draft-room-with-chris-ballard

I seen some people mention, and after reading the article, it looks like we are going to use a little of the Seattle secondary scheme. They call it step kick. The DBs press the WR at the line of scrimmage wait for the WR to make the first move, then when the WR (step) enters the DBs sphere (arm length) he makes contact (kick). This allows the DB to 1. Not commit to moving one way or another and 2. allows the WR to commit to his route before the DB makes contact. Apparantly Tell, Willis, and Ya-Sin fit that mold. 

Love the idea of an aggressive secondary. That play 7 yards off gets real old...