Steve Wilks scheme

candyman93

7 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Wilks didn’t call plays in Arizona. I’m sure the scheme was still his but it’s still very hard to judge him as a playcaller. 

It’s designed to stop spread offenses. Remember when Michigan State gave OSU so much trouble under Narduzzi, this scheme is why.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilks tends to run a zone defense more often than not, which calls for his linebackers to drop in coverage.  This may be a problem with our current linebackers.    I fully expect him to change his scheme up at least a little to accommodate the current talent on the team. 

I expect the base 4-3 to be the same, but they will run the nickel a lot bringing CB and S blitz's on the regular.   I think he blitzed something like 42% of the time in Carolina.  I expect that to be the same this year with the Browns. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

Wilks tends to run a zone defense more often than not, which calls for his linebackers to drop in coverage.  This may be a problem with our current linebackers.    I fully expect him to change his scheme up at least a little to accommodate the current talent on the team. 

Schobert was traded no. 2 in coverage by pff, FWIW.

47 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

I expect the base 4-3 to be the same, but they will run the nickel a lot bringing CB and S blitz's on the regular.   I think he blitzed something like 42% of the time in Carolina.  I expect that to be the same this year with the Browns. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:
2 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Schobert was traded no. 2 in coverage by pff, FWIW

Yeah Joe is one of the better coverage LBs in the league. Could be why they wanted to truly beef up the DL with Richardson and Vernon cause they know they won’t be blitzing as often. Also Kirksey isn’t awful as coverage. 

I believe the LBs will make huge improvement because Blake Williams is no longer the coach. I thought he was garbage as a coach and wasn’t surprised he was a reason for a riff b/w Greggggg and Gase early on

3 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Wilks tends to run a zone defense more often than not, which calls for his linebackers to drop in coverage.  This may be a problem with our current linebackers.    I fully expect him to change his scheme up at least a little to accommodate the current talent on the team

I don’t. Coaches don’t change unfortunately. The next time I see a coordinator adjust to their players will be the first. 

34 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’s the only one. It’s why he’s had sustainable success. OCs DCs ram their system into their team. 

Freddie realizes this also and mentioned it on the 1st episode of building the Browns. I think he will ask his staff to adjust instead of going the Hue route of changing players until you can get something to work for your scheme.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Freddie realizes this also and mentioned it on the 1st episode of building the Browns. I think he will ask his staff to adjust instead of going the Hue route of changing players until you can get something to work for your scheme.

Hues scheme requires 3 guys that can run sub 4.5 and be 6'3" plus withh great hands. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Hues scheme requires 3 guys that can run sub 4.5 and be 6'3" plus withh great hands. 

And an offensive line that can keep a pocket clean for 4-5 seconds. You can do that sometimes but you can do that 20 times a game, game after game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

And an offensive line that can keep a pocket clean for 4-5 seconds. You can do that sometimes but you can do that 20 times a game, game after game.

Need my guys 

Joe Thomas larry allen alex mack zack martin Rooney Staley

Aj green julio and calvin johnson

Adrian Peterson 

Carson palmer

11-5 lose the wild card.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Need my guys 

Joe Thomas larry allen alex mack zack martin Rooney Staley

Aj green julio and clavin johnson