1.20 list??

kurgan

Based on Tombert's visits, underclassmen, trends that we have seen, this is the list that we are left with of 'first round' prospects:

Devin White
Devin Bush
Greedy Williams
Chase Winovich
Clelin Ferrell
Rashan Gary
Mack Wilson

Assuming that most of the pre-draft hype is real, and we take off the guys that will most likely NOT be there when we come up at 1.20 (White, Bush, Gary).

Leaving us with the 'final' list of:

Greedy Williams

Chase Winovich

Clelin Ferrell

Mack Wilson

Of course, things can happen like Bush sliding, Greedy being taken early, or any number of trade downs or ups, but does this look like the four man race right now for 1.20??

The only pre-draft hype that has come from the Steelers is for Bush.

Based on last year, i would not look at just what the draftniks consider 1st round choices.

Here's where Tombert has appeared so far:

Clemson
Michigan
Bama
ND
WVU
LSU
A&M
Texas

Here are the underaged prospects at those schools:

CB: Julian Love, Trayvon Mullen, Greedy Williams, Saivion Smith
S: Deointe Thompson
LB: Bush, White, Mack Wilson, David Long, Tyrel Dodson
DL: Rashan Gary, Quinnen Williams, Dexter Lawrence, Charles Omenihu
OL: Jonah Williams
TE: Irv Smith
WR: LJ Humphrey
RB: Traveon Williams, Josh Jacobs

Under TJ Watt "normal" age threshold:

EDGE: Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrell
CB: Mark Fields
LB: Te'Von Coney
DL: Kingsley KeKe, Bert Huggins, Daylon Mack
OL: Erik McCoy, Mitchell Hyatt
TE: Foster Moreau, Alize' Mack
WR: Miles Boykin, Gary Jennings
RB: Dexter Williams, Damien Harris

Adding S Taylor Rapp to the possibilities.

So my list to watch  in the 1st round would be

• Ferrell
  • Rapp
  • Bush
  • Love
  • Dexter Lawrence
  • Rashan Gary
  • Joah Williams
  • Damien Harris
  • Mack Wilson
  • Greedy Williams

43 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Adding S Taylor Rapp to the possibilities.

So my list to watch  in the 1st round would be

• Ferrell
  • Rapp
  • Bush
  • Love
  • Dexter Lawrence
  • Rashan Gary
  • Joah Williams
  • Damien Harris
  • Mack Wilson
  • Greedy Williams

Why did you leave off Winovich??

Are we adding Rapp because of he is a pre-draft visitor??

If that is truly the 9 to look at, Gary and Bush most likely won't be there at 1.20--And Good God, do I hope that we are not looking at JOnah Williams (who will be taken) or Damien Harris (or even Josh Jacobs, who was at Bama)... Also, Lawrence is a NT, so I imagine he is off the table as well...

So... can we conclude that Julian Love and Taylor Rapp should be added to the list up top??

4 hours ago, kurgan said:

Based on Tombert's visits, underclassmen, trends that we have seen, this is the list that we are left with of 'first round' prospects:

Devin White
Devin Bush
Greedy Williams
Chase Winovich
Clelin Ferrell
Rashan Gary
Mack Wilson

Assuming that most of the pre-draft hype is real, and we take off the guys that will most likely NOT be there when we come up at 1.20 (White, Bush, Gary).

Leaving us with the 'final' list of:

Greedy Williams

Chase Winovich

Clelin Ferrell

Mack Wilson

Of course, things can happen like Bush sliding, Greedy being taken early, or any number of trade downs or ups, but does this look like the four man race right now for 1.20??

That"final list" is gross. Winovich in the 1st would be worse then Burns and Edmunds in the 1st. BY FAR. That would be a terrible terrible pick. From that "final list" the only one that would make me happy is Greedy and he is my 2nd/3rd favorite CB. Wilson would be a disappointing 1st Rdr but if that is how the Board fell I could live with it. And I don't think Ferrell is an OLB. 

Winovich, at 23, does not fit into the age bucket that Tomlin likes for his 1st rounders.  Rapp does.

I would not take Rapp in the 1st round but i also would not have taken Edmunds in the 1st but Tombert did.

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Winovich, at 23, does not fit into the age bucket that Tomlin likes for his 1st rounders.  Rapp does.

I would not take Rapp in the 1st round but i also would not have taken Edmunds in the 1st but Tombert did.

Good info.  Seems like they have a type and that makes sense.  The best predictor of future actions is past actions.

Obviously, the Steelers do not have the common draft fan's views at heart.  I would not have taken Edmunds there either, but evidence is evidence.

Seems they have a live list of 3-5 guys they like and when someone is taken, they go to the next one, regardless of rating (like WJIII and Burns).  Seems like it is setting up where #1 is Bush, then some combo of Williams/Ferrell/Wilson then maybe Rapp/Love??

For as long as I can remember, the Steelers have only taken one player that everyone thought they were going to take: Heath Miller.  I'm encouraged that many people have the Steelers taking Bush, since it is unlikely to happen given past history.

39 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I was thinking that guys like White and Ferrell would have no chance of falling to us.

White no chance, Ferrell might be there.  I've seen him as high as 17 and low as 2nd round.  He is not really a great fit to many defenses, and the ones that he is there are higher rated guys.

BTW--Any confirmation that Tombert was at UW Pro Day??  That would take Rapp off the list, right??  I know he is a pre-draft visitor, but the pick is always a Tombert visitor.  ALso, were they both at Michigan State??  Is Justin Layne still a maybe??

8 minutes ago, kurgan said:

White no chance, Ferrell might be there.  I've seen him as high as 17 and low as 2nd round.  He is not really a great fit to many defenses, and the ones that he is there are higher rated guys.

BTW--Any confirmation that Tombert was at UW Pro Day??  That would take Rapp off the list, right??  I know he is a pre-draft visitor, but the pick is always a Tombert visitor.  ALso, were they both at Michigan State??  Is Justin Layne still a maybe??

I would certainly take Clelin Ferrell and Greedy Williams.

19 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

So no concerns with Ferrell standing up full time? I don't see it. 

I have no issue.  In college he played standing at times and covered the flat and played a zone.  At worst he would be another James Harrison.  He is one of the most technically advanced pass rushers in the draft.  Is he the best standing up?  No.  In pass rush situations he can put his hand on the ground like TJ Watt does.

He is a very good Pass Rusher but then that gives you 2 OLBs that are not very good in coverage. Granted Pass Rush ability prolly trumps coverage ability but Ferrell is at his best with his hand in the ground. Given these scheme issues the 1st Rd Seems pricey to me BUT I would take him over some of the other options given. 

Archived