ALERT ALERT LGB: THE PSYCHO IS BACK

mistakey

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Also, Freddie mentioned in his presser setting time aside in ota’s for ST which apparently isn’t normally done.

I like that approach tbh, can’t be good at something if you don’t invest time and energy into it.

Pretty sure he said in general he wants STs to get their time. He doesn’t want to cut their time from them in the meeting room or on the field. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We were horrific in special teams last year. I feel like the fellas are going to fix that.

That would be nice but I'm hoping more that we won't need much from ST as far as winning games. Great to make FGs and extra points and win field position but I'm hoping we can beat the lesser teams on our schedule without good special teams play. Come playoff time, if we are eligible, it will be more important but hopefully by that point there will have been some learning on the job and they won't cost us opportunities.

38 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That would be nice but I'm hoping more that we won't need much from ST as far as winning games. 

Special teams hopefully won’t be the reason we’re winning games, but they can’t be the reason we’re losing them either.

The missed FG’s lost us multiple games last season. The blocked kicks previously (remember the “kick 6” that ended the Ravens game a few years ago?).  Then there was the Jim Leonard year when we just fair caught punts (the ones we didn’t fumble that is).

We likely won’t need outstanding special teams, although they wouldn’t hurt, but we do need solid, consistent special teams.  No turnovers, make the “gimme” kicks, not allowing teams to flip the field and get points off kicks, etc.

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Special teams hopefully won’t be the reason we’re winning games, but they can’t be the reason we’re losing them either.

The missed FG’s lost us multiple games last season. The blocked kicks previously (remember the “kick 6” that ended the Ravens game a few years ago?).  Then there was the Jim Leonard year when we just fair caught punts (the ones we didn’t fumble that is).

We likely won’t need outstanding special teams, although they wouldn’t hurt, but we do need solid, consistent special teams.  No turnovers, make the “gimme” kicks, not allowing teams to flip the field and get points off kicks, etc.

Eh, special teams aren't as important as they used to be. Kick return TDs are pretty much done. Better served just taking the touchback if it reaches the end zone, it usually does. Punt return TDs took a nosedive last year too. Less likely to see blocks with not having to worry about the inside as much since you can't line up over the snapper.

Field goals are important. Extra points are important. Everything else, just don't screw anything up. Don't hold on a kick return that you aren't returning. Don't block in the back on a punt return.

I think the kick/punt return records are going to last forever. Metcalf will likely always be 2nd to Hester on punt return TDs and Cribbs will always be tied for most kick return touchdowns for a career. The most exciting special teams plays are pretty much dead and buried.

It used to be 1/3 of the game, it really wasn't but the importance of it did make up a lot of the ground, but now it is more like 10% of the game. Yes, being bad is still bad but the difference between having average special teams play and the best in the league isn't going to be a factor most games. You all are getting 40-45 net yards per punt and 6-12 yards per return, if you return them and 20-25 per kick return. Teams average about 2 returns of each per game. Those 15-20 yards aren't likely to do a whole lot for ya.

7 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Lmao arrested for “wanton endangerment”

I was threatened to have the cops called on me for that one time at a Chinese buffet. I had no idea what they were talking about. I just liked their dumplings.

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Cordarrelle Patterson has a shot at the kick off td record he has 6, averages 30 yard per or he is 28 and could play another 5 years as a kr easily of he doesnt get hurt and keep producing.

Could, still bet it doesn't happen. The next highest for an active player (Ginn) has 3.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Could, still bet it doesn't happen. The next highest for an active player (Ginn) has 3.

It depnds how long he plays. If he returns 50 kicks per year for 7 years he should get it. He is one of the few players you would want to bring it out of you dont have a lead.

50 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It depnds how long he plays. If he returns 50 kicks per year for 7 years he should get it. He is one of the few players you would want to bring it out of you dont have a lead.

He is certainly on pace but he averages less than 30 returns per year and has 42 returned in the last 2 years combined. If he does break the record which is possible I bet he holds it forever.

Archived