Your team relocates, are you still a fan?

Danger

Your team relocates, how do you feel?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Your team relocates, how do you feel?

• Still a fan of the team
    • No longer a fan, not interested in the league much until if/when another team in my city.
    • No longer a fan, jump ship to another team.

I only my support local teams (living in Mass we have been absurdly blessed with good teams) but ultimately it would come down to -why- did they move? If for whatever reason the state forced them away while they still wanted to remain here then I would probably still be a fan. If the team pulls some shady business and abandoned the region then it’s over for me.

I mean, I'd be mad, but I'd probably keep rooting for the same players, at least.  It'd probably fade.

If I'm in another city though, I probably make that team my go to.  So I guess in that scenario, goodbye Titans, hello Eagles?

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

On the flip side, if they change everything about the team....that's just different for me.

How so? What exactly do you mean? Change everything?

I think changes name, colors, gear etc. And on that note I actually have to amend my previous statement. I said the Saints moving wouldn't change my fandom. 

If the Saints move and change everything, I might be out. I have too much Saints gear around the house to keep rooting for a team that isn't the Saints. I'd have to assess my choices and take some time finding a new team. 

I'd definitely be Browns fan if we're talking 'Saints sold to Mark Cuban, moving to San Antonio in 2020' April Fool's joke.

If we're talking 3-5 years down the road or longer, not sure who I'd follow. Probably would just get back into college football which I haven't watched in years.

I would have no interest in following the Vikes if they decided to leave MN. It would certainly be a slap in the face to taxpayers who were forced to help pay for their billion dollar stadium and training complex.

I would likely be a casual fan of the NFL, maybe watch whatever night games are on if I have nothing else going on. I certainly wouldn't be sitting around watching football on Sunday at noon as I do now. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, although what Robert Irsay did with the Baltimore Colts is egregious, moving in the middle of the night like a coward. To be honest, I've always hated the Indianapolis Colts as they are indirectly responsible for what Art Modell did to Cleveland. This is also one of the reasons that I've never forgiven Baltimore. They did exactly to the city of Cleveland what was done to them, so they of all people should know/have known how that feels.

The Rams are tough because they also used to be in LA and then moved to St. Louis in 1994, so the Rams have always had a following (Back in the 40's they were in Cleveland too).

How so? What exactly do you mean? Change everything?

Like the Browns becoming the Ravens. The Ravens were never going to have the Browns history IMO, whether they brought the Browns back or not. Conversely, I don't think the Titans were really going to have the Oilers history.

Breaking it down more simply: the Ravens best player of all time cannot be Jim Brown.

But the Rams best player of all time could be Deacon Jones, Eric Dickerson, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, or eventually maybe Aaron Donald. It's still the Rams regardless of where we were playing.

What the Ravens and Titans did was taking existing teams and turning them into expansion teams - at least in terms of their history.

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I think changes name, colors, gear etc. And on that note I actually have to amend my previous statement. I said the Saints moving wouldn't change my fandom. 

If the Saints move and change everything, I might be out. I have too much Saints gear around the house to keep rooting for a team that isn't the Saints. I'd have to assess my choices and take some time finding a new team. 

I'd definitely be Browns fan if we're talking 'Saints sold to Mark Cuban, moving to San Antonio in 2020' April Fool's joke.

If we're talking 3-5 years down the road or longer, not sure who I'd follow. Probably would just get back into college football which I haven't watched in years.

Yep. When the Rams moved to St. Louis, it became possible for us to drive to see a game (live in Ohio). I also believe that in the Rams specific cases, both LA (the first time) and STL deserved to lose the team. I don't know all the details of the Oiler/Titan move, but I do not believe Cleveland deserved to lose the Browns. So it's also something that needs to be evaluated case by case.

When I was arguing with STL fans, my favorite was "do you go to all the games?" If their answer is no, then it's hard for me to sympathize. Teams don't come to a city with any sort of promise of being a winning team - whether they stay (in most cases) is up to the fans.

This question always makes me think of that Jerry Seinfeld bit about how what fans of teams are really are dedicated to are the Jerseys. Players change, locations change, but fans are still loyal to their team.

I haven't lived in Giants territory for years so it would be no different for me. I would still be a fan.

I think it depends on how far away they move, if they rebrand and why they left. I think I would still cheer for the St. Louis Steelers(until Pittsburgh gets a new team). just way too connected to the steeler brand to just drop them. I don't feel that way about the Pittsburgh Pirates, which I can see them leaving in a few decades when they start asking the city for a new stadium.

It depends. I don't live in Minnesota and there's no necessity for the team to be in Minnesota for me to like them. So while I understand the owner is screwing over other fans of the team, I personally don't care as long as the brand remains.

However things become different if it's a team whose location is integral to my fanhood. In the impossible hypothetical where my college team moved, I would swear the team up and down. In my state, the college team is among the biggest parts of our culture. Nearly every person in the state roots for the big college team here. The university through its team vitalizes our state's economy more than almost anything. For them to leave would be the biggest sin.

Archived