Your team relocates, are you still a fan?

Danger

Your team relocates, how do you feel?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Your team relocates, how do you feel?

• Still a fan of the team
    • No longer a fan, not interested in the league much until if/when another team in my city.
    • No longer a fan, jump ship to another team.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, Texans02 said:

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of a scenario where a team moves and the abandoned city feels sympathy for them. Every move I can remember was predicated on owner's greed (new stadium paid for by new city, bigger market, etc). The team becomes a symbol of the owner blackmailing then stealing from the former home city. Even if you still like the players, that's really hard to cheer on and support.

I have friends whose families came from a different NFL city and grew up loving their family's team despite always being from Houston. Maybe they would be less affected by a move since they aren't really connected to the home city? I don't know, that's not my situation.

If the Titans headquarters burned down overnight and no one was injured, I'd be smugly happy about it. Doubly so if Bud Adams' ashes are stored there.

The Colts situation was different. The popular story is that Irsay wanted to relocate, because he was a greedy jerk, or whatever. But that really isn't the case. Here is a summary of what led up to the 1984 move:

-The Colts were initially saved from relocation in 1972 by Robert Irsay who acquired them from their first owner, who preferred to move them west - Irsay wanted to stay in Baltimore

-Baltimore's Memorial Stadium was old and falling apart, and had to be shared by the Colts and Orioles. There was a plan to replace it but it was scrapped and Baltimore passed an amendment banning funding for any future new stadiums

-The Colts had offers to relocate as early as 1976 but Irsay believed the city would eventually be more agreeable and he spent more than a decade negotiating with them

-When it became clear that a new stadium or renovations to the old one were never coming Irsay began to explore the possibility of relocation - the NFL voted to give him permission to move anywhere he wanted

-Just before the move Maryland passed legislation to exploit eminent domain laws to seize the Colts from Irsay, forcing his hand - leave, or stay and have his team legally stolen

-The Colts left during the night to avoid being stopped by the police from doing so - somehow that then became the only part of the story that anyone ever recounts

Edited by PapaShogun

On one hand, I don’t have ties to Jacksonville so they could move to the moon and it wouldn’t matter. 

On the other, please send them to the moon so I can use it as an excuse to stop pouring my heart into watching this trash. 

• Like 1