Draft Lead Up - Question 2 - Dropping Players

The Gnat

What Dropping Player Would You Want?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What Dropping Player Would You Want? (DL Droppers)

• Ed Oliver
    • Rashan Gary
    • Montez Sweat
    • Brian Burns
    • Josh Allen
  2. 2. What Dropping Player Would You Want (Offensive Droppers)

Alright, onto question two, it seems like there has been some fun thinking about what OL we might end up going with in round one. But say it's a situation where we have players dropping, who, if they dropped would you want the Vikings to draft?

Oliver and Hockenson.  In fact, in my TDN mock I did this morning, I got Oliver at 18.  The likelihood of that is certainly slim, but I'd like it....I made up for not getting an OL in the first by getting one in each of rds 2, 3, and 4(McGary, Samia, and Howard).  I think Oliver would certainly make a great 3-tech in Zimmer's defense, but someone will take him higher (most likely Atlanta...who took Burns in my draft)

How far are these players dropping before the Vikings would be taking them?

I ask because some of those players I wouldn't consider as dropping if they were available at pick 18. On the other hand, if they were available in the second round it would be great to get them.

If it is pick 18 we are talking about, I think there needs to be a selection for none of the above.

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

How far are these players dropping before the Vikings would be taking them?

I ask because some of those players I wouldn't consider as dropping if they were available at pick 18. On the other hand, if they were available in the second round it would be great to get them.

If it is pick 18 we are talking about, I think there needs to be a selection for none of the above.

Most, if not all, of these players will arguably be gone by 18.

I know you want OL but you wouldn't consider Oliver/Burns at 18 if they were there?

20 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Most, if not all, of these players will arguably be gone by 18.

I know you want OL but you wouldn't consider Oliver/Burns at 18 if they were there?

Oh, I would consider them. It is more the TEs and WR that I wouldn't really consider dropping at that point. TEs don't go high in the first round often and I am not impressed with anything about that WR (enough to warrant #18 overall) other than his measurable numbers. I struggle with part two of the question. I would consider the QBs but I haven't actually studied those two QBs so can't intelligently say that I would take them at 18. Without doubt, I am open to the idea of a QB at 18.

Looking at the defensive players, Sweat is the only one that I would have hesitation to take at 18 if there wasn't something I liked better available.

I picked Hockenson and I'm the lone vote so far for Sweat.  I know there are some questions/concerns about him, but it sounds like he has the physical tools that Zim could work with to possibly turn him into a real beast on the defense.  Take my opinion for what it's worth this year, though, because I haven't been following things too much.

If Oliver were available at 18, it wouldn’t matter who else was still available, I’d sprint the card to the podium.

Oliver is the only player in the draft, who’s not unanimously predicted to go in the top 4, that I’d be overwhelmingly in favor of drafting over any of the offensive linemen in the draft. 

As tempting as many of these player might be, the goal should be to draft one of the best interior offensive linemen.  So, for me, I wouldn't pick any of them unless all the first round linemen are already gone.

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

As tempting as many of these player might be, the goal should be to draft one of the best interior offensive linemen.  So, for me, I wouldn't pick any of them unless all the first round linemen are already gone.

I disagree, I think that if you are giving me a choice between Bradbury and Oliver, I easily select Oliver. That said, if these players are dropping, especially Allen, Oliver, Hockenson, Haskins, etc, probably means that Williams/Taylor/Dillard/Ford are gone already.

I would only take Oliver and Allen for sure if they dropped.  I would only consider Hockenson if Taylor and Williams are gone, and it would be tough to take him over Ford, Dillard, and Bradbury.  To take any other non-OL I would have to be pretty assured I could find a starting OL in round 2 or 3. 

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I disagree, I think that if you are giving me a choice between Bradbury and Oliver, I easily select Oliver. That said, if these players are dropping, especially Allen, Oliver, Hockenson, Haskins, etc, probably means that Williams/Taylor/Dillard/Ford are gone already.

Right, meaning almost no OL would be left in round 2.....are we just going to pass on fixing the supposed one hole on this roster? Because the window will close on this team soon......

12 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Right, meaning almost no OL would be left in round 2.....are we just going to pass on fixing the supposed one hole on this roster? Because the window will close on this team soon......

I think there are some OL

Here is a list (off the top of my head) of potential OL picks between round 1 and pick 81.

Lindstrom

Risner

both likely gone by pick 50

Little

McCoy

Jenkins

McGary

McGovern

Powers

Dieter

Jordan

Samia

Edwards

Howard

Davis

But, as I said earlier, there has to be a plan to address OL beyond pick 18 and those picks have to be hits.

Archived