Leisher's 2019 Mock draft 4-3-19, next to last mock.

jleisher

:D  Yeah, I know a lot of you will be happy about the next to last mock thing, so enjoy.  I will be doing my last mock about a week before draft day.  It will be what I would love to see, and I know it's not going to be what some on here would like, but that's life.

I can see the Packers bring back Muhammad Wilkerson on a team friendly deal, say 1 year at $3-5m.  Morgan Burnett is brought back as a veteran back up, 1 year at $3m, kind of like TWill.

2019 Mock draft:

#12.  Brian-Burns-DE-Florida-State.jpg?zoom=0.

Scouting Report: Brian Burns

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Florida State Position: Outside Linebacker/Defensive End Class: Junior Height: 6-4 Weight: 220 lbs 

Scouting Report:

Excellent pass rush skills, but lack of size will be an issue. Probably won’t ever be a big as ideal, but will need to put on whatever weight he can to be more effective against the run. Great long arms and ability and speed to drop back into coverage and pick up slot receivers. Probably better suited for a 3-4 than a 4-3 scheme.

#30.  I really wanted to trade this pick and pick up a 2nd and extra 3rd, but I couldn't get a trade to workout.

Dalton Risner NFL

Scouting Report: Dalton Risner

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Kansas Sate Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 300 

Scouting Report:

A modern right tackle prospect that projects more of a pass protector than a road grader run blocker. Excellent against speed, with great feet and balance. Sets quickly and isn’t easily put into bad position by crafty pass rushers. Uses his hands well, and while he doesn’t overpower opponents, he uses his length to keep pass rushers at bay. Superb ability to get the next level, and pulls well. Not going to be that bulldozer right tackle that was coveted years ago, but is a fit at right tackle in today’s game.  (This guy and Chris Lindstrom are two of my favorite OL prospects, would love to team them up, maybe in my next mock.) B|?

#44.  Nasir Adderley NFL

Scouting Report: Nasir Adderley

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Delaware Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 5-11 Weight: 200 

Scouting Report:

Profoundly well rounded defensive back that excels in all major skills needed to play the safety position at the next level. Covers the deep field well, and is able to recognize plays quickly and get to the receiver decisively and by taking sound angles. Ferocious tackler and gets off of blocks with authority getting to the ball carrier. Has shown no weakness in covering either small, shifty receivers or big bodied tight ends and bigger receivers.

#75.  2019 NFL Mock Draft: Kendall Joseph

Scouting Report: Kendall Joseph

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Clemson Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 5-11 Weight: 225 lbs 

Scouting Report:

A very underrated player on a Clemson defense that has been loaded with stars the last few years. Joseph is a tackling machine, and has excellent awareness, diagnosing plays quickly, and seemingly always around the ball. Possesses an excellent combination of agility, strength, intelligence, and leadership. Joseph’s brain is wired into football, and will be a leader of an NFL defense next year.

#114.  Connor McGovern NFL

Scouting Report: Connor McGovern

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Penn State Position: Offensive Guard Class: Junior Height: 6-5 Weight: 326 

Scouting Report:

Has played all three interior line positions at Penn State, and has excelled wherever they have asked him to play. Smart and experienced, he quickly gets set and rarely is caught off balance. Has continued to add girth to his frame, and his run blocking has improved as his size has caught up to his playing acumen. Could project as either a guard or a center at the next level.  (Good player that falls, good for us!!! :)

#118.  Dawson Knox NFL

Scouting Report: Dawson Knox

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Mississippi Position: Tight End Class: Junior Height: 6’4 Weight: 240 

Scouting Report:

A developmental, very high ceiling and smart “move” tight end. A former QB, he has a strong understanding of the passing game. Route running and finding soft spots in the defense has come naturally to him. Currently on an excellent trajectory as a dynamic mismatch receiver. However, has a lot of work to do as a blocker. The effort and the potential in this area seem to be very high. If he can continue to develop his blocking, could be a top sleeper in the draft.  ( Could have gone TE higher, but, I like Knox and I have a feeling that Tonyan is going to make a big jump.)

#150.  Anthony Johnson NFL

Scouting Report: Anthony Johnson

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Buffalo Position: Wide Receiver Class: Senior Height: 6-1 Weight: 210 

Scouting Report:

A community college transfer, Johnson has the height / weight / speed attributes that come together to make him a balanced wide receiver prospect.  What stands out in his game is that he puts together his athleticism along with strong, reliable hands, and the ability to burst out of his routes. He is raw in some of his route running, but there is no doubting how he creates separation and that he is a very dependable target. Extremely productive, will be interesting to see how he tests during the draft process.  (With as many good WR in this draft, someone must drop.)

Picks #185, #194 and #226 I drafted with ST in mind.  

#185.  Chase Hansen NFL

Scouting Report: Chase Hansen

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Utah Position: Safety/ Outside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6’3 Weight: 216

Scouting Report:

Recruited as a quarterback, converted to safety, and then to linebacker, Hansen is a high end athlete with football intelligence and experience seeing the game from different perspectives. The last position conversion was due more to depth than fit, but he has been extremely productive at linebacker, racking up tackles, sacks, INT’s and TFL’s. Very rangy, and probably best suited as a safety at the next level that can come up and play in a hybrid type linebacker position, covering tight ends and running backs. Sees the field very well and makes quick decisions. Sound tackler, very willing, and doesn’t take bad angles or make hurried decisions in the open field, so rarely out of position in coverage.

#194.  Ben Burr-Kirven NFL

Scouting Report: Ben Burr-Kirven

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washington Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-0 Weight: 222 

Scouting Report:

Elite athleticism and uses his burst to generate power via momentum. A tackling machine that quickly diagnoses plays and uses a rare explosiveness to punish ball carriers and receivers. Takes good angles, and rarely misses tackles. Able to cover sideline to sideline and not a liability in coverage. Position at the next level could be anywhere from off the ball linebacker to nickel safety to hybrid safety/OLB.  (Yeah, I know he might not be here at this pick, but what the hell.  Depth to ILB and ST.)

#226.  Corey Ballantine NFL

Scouting Report: Corey Ballantine

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washburn Position: Cornerback Class: Senior Height: 5’11 Weight: 196

Scouting Report:

Fast, strong corner that can cover any receiver in the open field and is agile enough to take on running backs in the slot. A fierce competitor and a special teams ace, Ballantine is just scratching the surface on his ability as he continues to learn technique and being able to react instead of think on the football field.

Yep and somewhat realistic too.  Double dipping at ILB not a bad idea.  Problem with mocks is we know most of the names.  Packers seem to always draft guys not on our radar.  Have done so many mocks over the years and would be lucky to just get 1 player right.  Not a knock just the way it is.  Only thing is in a class this deep at DL we didn't come away with one player.  View DL as an area we need to shore up.  Have us signing Wilk so we are covered but it would be a shame to not take advantage and pluck at least one DL.  

This one is good. Only pick I'm not a fan of is Kendall Joseph. If you put Dawson Knox in that slot (his pro day will push him up a bit) and another one of the 7,000,000 day 3-ILBs in this class at Knox's spot, I'd be very happy.

First off, I have zero concerns with this draft.  I like the haul.

The only thing I can say against the mock is taking both Risner and McGovern.

Taylor is under contract for two more years.  We just signed Turner to be starting guard and maybe he could take care of RT in a pinch.

I really like Risner for his versatility.  I think he can play G, RT and maybe even C.

So taking McGovern doesn't make a lot of sense.  For this year.  Maybe Risner is the RT of the future and McGovern is the LG of the future.

15 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Yep and somewhat realistic too.  Double dipping at ILB not a bad idea.  Problem with mocks is we know most of the names.  Packers seem to always draft guys not on our radar.  Have done so many mocks over the years and would be lucky to just get 1 player right.  Not a knock just the way it is.  Only thing is in a class this deep at DL we didn't come away with one player.  View DL as an area we need to shore up.  Have us signing Wilk so we are covered but it would be a shame to not take advantage and pluck at least one DL.  

100% correct!

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Actually doing a good mock just convinces me you were doing bad mocks before on purpose.

I explained before, all my mocks where different on purpose.  Why?  To throw out different scenarios and what ifs.  The draft is unpredictable, so should the mocks.

15 hours ago, vegas492 said:

First off, I have zero concerns with this draft.  I like the haul.

The only thing I can say against the mock is taking both Risner and McGovern.

Taylor is under contract for two more years.  We just signed Turner to be starting guard and maybe he could take care of RT in a pinch.

I really like Risner for his versatility.  I think he can play G, RT and maybe even C.

So taking McGovern doesn't make a lot of sense.  For this year.  Maybe Risner is the RT of the future and McGovern is the LG of the future.

McGovern can play all three IOL spots.  Taylor is under contract, but his play has been iffy.  No guarantees on his future.   Linsley had a great year, IMO, that means this year won't be the same.  Risner is Bulaga's replacement, McGovern offers insurance at LG and C.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

McGovern can play all three IOL spots.  Taylor is under contract, but his play has been iffy.  No guarantees on his future.   Linsley had a great year, IMO, that means this year won't be the same.  Risner is Bulaga's replacement, McGovern offers insurance at LG and C.

Exactly what I said.  Those two picks are picks for the future.  To me, though, they both offer versatility on the line.  I listened to a Risner interview....he said that teams have talked to him about playing LT, LG, C, RG and RT.  

Again, nitpicking, and I do like both guys.

3 hours ago, jleisher said:

I explained before, all my mocks where different on purpose.  Why?  To throw out different scenarios and what ifs.  The draft is unpredictable, so should the mocks.

When we're picking 12th and you're slotting in the 30th best prospect, that's where you lose the moral high ground.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When we're picking 12th and you're slotting in the 30th best prospect, that's where you lose the moral high ground.

That would be correct if player big boards never changed, and all the teams had the same player rankings on their boards.  Nothing is for sure, look it's been Bosa as the sure pick at #1 for how long?  Now, Murray is that possible #1 pick and some boards have him ranked at #10- #15.  So, if a # 10 or #15 ranked player can be taken at #1, why can't a #30 be selected at #12 or #15?  So, that is where you lose your moral high ground.  None of our rankings are 100% or hell, not even 9% correct.  Nobody knows.

Archived