48.5's 2019 Mock Draft

48 1/2ers

I cant wait for April 25th, 2019. The 49ers were gifted a pretty amazing opportunity with this #2 overall pick, and yes they earned it through terrible play but its not often a team with their franchise QB has the option of picking such a high caliber player, and it appears that they will have their choice of the top player on their board with Murray going #1 overall to the Cards. The question for most is between Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa, and Josh Allen. 

My thoughts are that Quinnen Williams is not the top 3 player that a lot of people are hyping him as. I think he's a Leonard Williams type player - so really good but not the level of Buckner and not the guy to set us over the top. Nick Bosa is essentially the same guy as his older brother (best case scenario), I wouldnt mind that at all but the guy I ended up selecting I feel has a much higher ceiling and the potential to be a Khalil Mack type disrupter with versatility to play in coverage close to Ryan Shazier level. With the 2nd pick the San Francisco 49ers select...

1-2 - Josh Allen DE/OLB Kentucky - 6’ 5” 260 pounds - SEC Defensive Player of the Year - PFF highest rated Edge rusher - 2018 Bronco Nagurski winner (nation’s top defensive player) 84 tackles 18.5 tackles for loss 14 sacks 5 forced fumbles 4 pass breakups 2 fumble recoveries. He turned Kentucky into a top 15 program in the nation. He was the most dominant player in the SEC throughout the entire season. I expect him immediately to start at SAM in our system, also I expect Saleh to find ways to incorporate him on passing downs with Ford-Buckner-Thomas-Allen as the nickel front. I think Allen fits immediately into this defense, while his floor is lower than Williams and Bosa his ceiling slightly higher IMO and versatility in our scheme is useful with the current personnel.

2-36 - *Trade* w/ Pittsburg for picks 52, 84, and 2020 4th round pick. This is purely for draft capital reasons, I think this range of the 2nd is where teams get desperate for talent they think should have been picked in the first (ex. AZ trade w/ CHI in 2017 draft). Pittsburg has 10 picks in this draft so they have a reason to shed some capital to get their guy. 

*2-52 - Miles Boykin WR Notre Dame - Really only compares to DK Metcalf in terms of being a physical freak for the position. 6'4" 220, 4.42 40 (1.54 10 yd split) 43.5" vert, 11'5" broad, 6.77 3 cone!!! Those numbers are just silly, watching his tape he's a clear asset in the redzone who's a hands catcher. Though you dont really see that type of speed. Off the line he has good hands and shows he can throw a block when called for. This guy brings a different skillset than anything we have on the roster, while I love the AJ Browns, Andy Isabellas/Deebo Samuels of this draft we need to add players that we cant find in the later rounds of every draft (like trent taylor, richie james)

3-67 - Connor McGovern G/C Penn State - 3 year starter at both guard and center who's biggest attribute appears to be his athleticism and finishing ability. Those sound like as good of qualities as I can imagine for this offense. Overall I think interior OL can be an area of improvement even though we have a few guys locked up the next couple years already. McGovern is said to need time to perfect his hand usage and overall IQ as most college lineman do. 

*3-84 - Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois - Really gained recognition during the Senior Bowl when he and his fiancé agreed he would miss the birth of his child in order to impress scouts which he certainly did. Has similar traits to DJ Jones at 6'1 324, with his footwork, quickness and overall athleticism as his biggest strengths. We have no depth at 1 tech with the release of Earl Mitchell, competition for the starting 1 tech when the 49ers aren't in nickel.

4-104 - Josh Oliver TE San Jose State - Very Solid athletic profile w/ a 4.63 40, 34" vert at 6'5" 255. He was another one of the standouts at the Senior Bowl, and coached by the 49ers staff. 

6-176 - Mike Bell S Fresno State - Was not impressive at the combine with a 4.8 40 but improved that to a 4.6 at his proday. Honestly I thought he'd be one of the top 5 safeties in this draft before that number came out. But he's 6'3 205 with good instincts and high grades from PFF in both the passing and run game. Insurance for Tartt. 

6-212 - Jamel Dean CB Auburn - All the physical traits of the ideal modern corner. 6'1 206 ran a 4.3 40 w/ 41" vert at the combine, but he has some pretty serious knee injuries in his past. He was medically disqualified from Ohio St before his freshman year due to HS knee injuries and another torn ACL in 2016 at Auburn. Finally healthy in 2017, he started 11 of 14 games for the Tigers, collecting 43 stops, 2.5 for loss and eight pass breakups. He started 11 of 12 games played in 2018, recording 30 stops, two for loss, two interceptions and nine pass breakups. 

Depth Chart 

QB  - Jimmy Garopolo - Nick Mullens - C.J Beathard

RB  - Tevin Coleman - Jerrick McKinnon - Matt Breida - Raheem Mostert

FB  - Kyle Juszczyk

TE  - George Kittle - Josh Oliver - Garrett Celek - Ross Dwelley

WR  - Dante Pettis - Kendrick Bourne - Jordan Matthews 

WR  - Marquise Goodwin - Miles Boykin - Steven Dunbar

SLOT  - Trent Taylor  - Richie James 

LT  - Joe Staley - Shon Coleman

LG  - Laken Tomlinson - Connor McGovern 

C  - Weston Richburg - Eric Magnuson

RG  - Mike Person - Josh Garnett

RT  - Mike McGlinchey - Christian DiLauro

LE  - Arik Armstead - Kentavius Street  

NT  - D.J Jones - Khalen Saunders

DT  - DeForest Buckner - Julian Taylor - Sheldon Day

RE  - Dee Ford - Ronald Blair -

SAM  - Josh Allen - Malcolm Smith - Pita Taumoepenu - Dekoda Watson

MLB  - Fred Warner - David Mayo - Elijah Lee

WILL - Kwon Alexander - James Onwualu

CB  - Richard Sherman - Tarvarius Moore - Emmanuel Moseley

FS  - Adrian Colbert - Jimmy Ward - Marcell Harris - 

SS  - Jaquiski Tartt - Mike Bell - Antone Exum

CB  - Jason Verrett - Ahkello Witherspoon - Jamel Dean

NCB  - K'Waun Williams - D.J Reed

K  - Robbie Gould 

P  - Justin Vogel

Nice work! Great job with the explanations and videos of the prospects. 

Would be pumped with a draft like that, and while there are some players and picks I might tweak a little, if we walked away with a draft class like that I’d be happy enough. Love Allen, Boykin scares me a little but I’m intrigued from a skill and size standpoint, love the addition of Saunders as I think he could grow to be a huge piece to our defense with his quickness and disruptive play, McGovern is a favorite of mine as well and want IOL addressed as well, Bell is a nice flier a safety. Oliver is one of my favorite TEs this class so I’ll allow it and Dean has size, physicality and some athleticism going for him so wouldn’t be opposed.

Would have liked to see a LB added, Cashman or Summers preferably, but understand not all needs can be met in one year and for now Smith and Lee can be our depth behind Kwon and Warner. 

Thanks for the read man, hoping we see something like this later this month.

There is plenty in here to say HELL YES to. Bottom line is, HELL YES. 

I'm warming up to the versatility that is Josh Allen. We could do worse. Like you touch on, he isn't limited to just base or Nickel.. he will see both while playing SAM and pure ER. 

( would have been happier with Bosa or Ferrell with Ford seeing some SAM, but ok good nuff )

I love me some BABY T.O v2 Boykin!!!!! It's a projection that the coaches can sharpen up his routes, but yes, this dude has awesome potential. At 52 overall, this shouldn't offend anyone, but probably will... but we DON'T CARE!  :P 

McGovern is another excellent pick at 67, and I think dude could even play some RT if needed there. Has the length and IIRC, a little exp there. 

Saunders and Mike Bell would please me well enough. Oliver, I need to check more into, but I have seen him spoken of well enough. Should have been Foster Moreau chosen. You get a point reduction!!!!

Haven't really checked out Dean, aside from the Combine dazzles. Heard less than great things but late rounders are where the big wild swings can happen, no prob. 

Good stuff!       animated-smileys-score-cards-07.gif

Not a fan.

In my opinion::

-Passing on Bosa, bad.

-Miles Boykin in the second is a hard, hard reach, but the trade back makes it slightly palatable. 

- Fine with the Conor McGovern pick, same with Oliver.

-Jameel Deen as a later rounder is a solid waiver. But I'm not sure I get the Khalen Sanders pick, like the player, I'm routinely mocking him in the third, but the 49ers shouldn't be touching IDL at all. 

-Mike Bell probably won't get drafted given how historically bad his testing was. Not like he was an amazing prospect to begin with either (though his film is nice)

57 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Nice work! Great job with the explanations and videos of the prospects. 

Would have liked to see a LB added

Thanks man I appreciate the words! The videos were a late add but I saw Josh Allen in the building and wanted to throw it in, then figured I should find a little something on everyone since the forums integrate these so well. 

I wanted to add a backer too but honestly I still don’t know the class that we’ll outside of the top guys so I’ll need to look up those names you mentioned. But it’s another reason why I think some type of trade to get additional picks is necessary. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'm warming up to the versatility that is Josh Allen. We could do worse. Like you touch on, he isn't limited to just base or Nickel.. he will see both while playing SAM and pure ER. 

I love me some BABY T.O v2 Boykin!!!!! It's a projection that the coaches can sharpen up his routes, but yes, this dude has awesome potential. At 52 overall, this shouldn't offend anyone, but probably will... but we DON'T CARE!  :P 

Good stuff!   

Thanks oldie, and that versatility is really what swayed me in the end because as prospects I view Ferrell-Bosa-Allen almost interchangeable and Bosa/Ferrell dont have that use at SAM that Allen provides day 1. 

Boykin really does look like TO, and usually when you see that comp the guy is just a big bodied physical receiver but nowhere close to the specimen that TO was not with him. I appreciate the feedback. I look forward to seeing your mock come out in the coming weeks too. 

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Thanks oldie, and that versatility is really what swayed me in the end because as prospects I view Ferrell-Bosa-Allen almost interchangeable and Bosa/Ferrell dont have that use at SAM that Allen provides day 1. 

Yeah, sad likely truth here. 

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Boykin really does look like TO, and usually when you see that comp the guy is just a big bodied physical receiver but nowhere close to the specimen that TO was not with him. I appreciate the feedback.

I look forward to seeing your mock come out in the coming weeks too. 

Feedback well earned. Yeah, Boykin's top 50 to me for sure, and I'd take him over so many guys that so many guys have ranked much higher. Heck, he's in my first rd (20-ish) grades; I'll not lie, lol. It's a big wide swing, but I just got a feeling. (yes sure.. insert your Adarius B Jaelen Strong jabs here... I was first to OBJ3 dammit!)

No idea if I find time to do a mock myself. I tend to have to do a full one, and I can't see making the time. :/:( .. stupid Honey-do list. 

39 minutes ago, John232 said:

-Passing on Bosa, bad.

-Miles Boykin in the second is a hard, hard reach, but the trade back makes it slightly palatable. 

- Fine with the Conor McGovern pick, same with Oliver.

-Jameel Deen as a later rounder is a solid waiver. But I'm not sure I get the Khalen Sanders pick, like the player, I'm routinely mocking him in the third, but the 49ers shouldn't be touching IDL at all. 

-Mike Bell probably won't get drafted given how historically bad his testing was. Not like he was an amazing prospect to begin with either (though his film is nice)

Yea I knew some would feel that way about Bosa, its not really anything against Bosa but more of what Josh Allen can be on this defense. I'd be fine if we end up selecting Bosa or Ferrell or Allen. I feel like the value for Boykin is pretty fair but if its a reach fine so be it. 

Khalen Saunders is a guy I've pinpointed for a while, and honestly we have no beef up front on the defensive line. DJ Jones is fine but we released Earl Mitchell who played 33% of the defensive snaps who's taking that load and who's the depth there because looking at the roster currently I dont see it. DJ Jones has given about as much if not flashes flashes than Spoon and Colbert have, yet people seem to want to write them off or at least find competition for them. I view Saunders as a guy that can challenge Jones and play in a variety of situations

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Yea I knew some would feel that way about Bosa, its not really anything against Bosa but more of what Josh Allen can be on this defense. I'd be fine if we end up selecting Bosa or Ferrell or Allen. I feel like the value for Boykin is pretty fair but if its a reach fine so be it. 

Khalen Saunders is a guy I've pinpointed for a while, and honestly we have no beef up front on the defensive line. DJ Jones is fine but we released Earl Mitchell who played 33% of the defensive snaps who's taking that load and who's the depth there because looking at the roster currently I dont see it. DJ Jones has given about as much if not flashes flashes than Spoon and Colbert have, yet people seem to want to write them off or at least find competition for them. I view Saunders as a guy that can challenge Jones and play in a variety of situations

Yeah, all fair points on Sanders. I wouldn't hate the pick, I think i'd prefer we go another direction but I like the player and I like that he (and DJ too for that matter) actually provide enough burst to actually rush the passer as a 1 tech. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would be very content with this draft. I don't think there is a great difference between Bosa and Allen and I think both will be star players, and I could really get behind Allen. He's my #2 overall. I can definitely see a scenario where Allen has a Khalil Mack-like career while Bosa has a Jadeveon Clowney-like career production-wise. Ultimately I think Bosa will be the better of the two, but I get Allen. Especially since he would upgrade the SAM position in our base defense as well. 

From there,  I would be good with Boykin and see his potential. He's not my favorite in the 2nd round, but the trade back does help. Like the McGovern pick a lot, and that would be among my favorite choices in the 3rd. But I would much prefer a DB (preferably FS) with an extra third with at least one of the first four picks. Especially since there are a number of good ones. I don't mind improving the NT position, however. Happy with Jones, but this pick wouldn't upset me. But I hope a DB is among our first two days' picks is all.

Love Oliver in the 4th. My favorite possibility in that round if we haven't already addressed the TE position. Don't really care for Bell as a draft pick, but would be very intrigued with Dean.

Archived