Gruden wants to get Perine more involved

turtle28

As He Adjusts To Fatherhood, Samaje Perine Is Ready For On-Field Competition

https://www.redskins.com/news/as-he-adjusts-to-fatherhood-samaje-perine-is-ready-for-on-field-competition

“The guy I want to see, who everyone thinks is in my doghouse, is Samaje [Perine],” Gruden said. “Samaje has not gotten the opportunities, I’m upset about that, that’s my fault. But, I have not given up on Samaje. He’s young, he’s strong, he’s physical, and I need to see him take that next step and I have to give him that opportunity to do that, and it’s going to be hard with Guice and AP in there to get him the ball. That’ll be a tough dynamic but I have to get that done.”

Going to be tough to get Perine the ball. Last year Gruden could have had Perine spell Peterson some but kept Perine inactive. Now with Guice back, that seems like an even tougher dynamic. I don't think they should hold on to Perine though as insurance, even if he isn't playing much or at all on Sundays.

34 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

If we don’t take an edge player early and Anderson is forced to start all year at OLB the only way I see Perine playing is if he converts to FB and we actually use a FB

Could be. They better start that early though bc he's never been a lead blocker. IMO they should have done that last year and by now he would have been versed as a FB and still be a reserve RB too.

Perine strikes me as a guy this club will give up on that some other team will get the most out of. Obviously I’m higher on Perine than most Redskins fans but I feel the guy has a lot of talent. He should’ve been given a chance last year when Guice got hurt. 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Perine strikes me as a guy this club will give up on that some other team will get the most out of. Obviously I’m higher on Perine than most Redskins fans but I feel the guy has a lot of talent. He should’ve been given a chance last year when Guice got hurt. 

Agreed. He should have at least be given carries to spell Peterson.

(fixed the spelling mistake in the title)

I don't see Perine as much more than a JAG back. If they hadn't re-signed Peterson, I think he would get a fair number of carries. If Guice and/or Thompson is injured, he could see a fair number of carries.

But if you have a healthy set of Peterson, Guice, and Thompson ... why would you need Perine? What does he give you that one of the other three don't? And if the argument is that Peterson is only a short term player, so is Perine (his contract is up after 2020).

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Could be. They better start that early though bc he's never been a lead blocker. IMO they should have done that last year and by now he would have been versed as a FB and still be a reserve RB too.

I’ve been screaming for this team to add a fullback forever. This would have been a great move. Certainly not one this organization is capable of 

16 hours ago, Woz said:

(fixed the spelling mistake in the title)

I don't see Perine as much more than a JAG back. If they hadn't re-signed Peterson, I think he would get a fair number of carries. If Guice and/or Thompson is injured, he could see a fair number of carries.

But if you have a healthy set of Peterson, Guice, and Thompson ... why would you need Perine? What does he give you that one of the other three don't? And if the argument is that Peterson is only a short term player, so is Perine (his contract is up after 2020).

Perine is Insurance and thanks for fixing what was ever wrong with the title.

7 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I’ve been screaming for this team to add a fullback forever. This would have been a great move. Certainly not one this organization is capable of 

For some reason after 2014 they quit using the FB as much and phased out DY despite how good he was as a FB particularly the year before and in 2012.

My thought is that when they fired Forester after 2014 and hired Callahan to be the OL coach and run game coordinator, that was when DY and the FB position was phased out. I don't see the FB position making a big return to our roster until Callahan is gone and it may not even be then depending on who replaces him and/or Gruden.

Woz and others think it was Gruden’s decision but we did use DY a lot in 2014, especially in short yardage and on several spider two y bananas. 

Archived