Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BJets512

Best Case Scenario..

Recommended Posts

Just now, JetsandI said:

Daniel knows the draft algorithm. lol.  Still, yeah there is no hard evidence for Murray's situation. 

I would just be baffled if they went to all of these lengths and alienated Rosen just for a smoke screen that will probably gain them absolutely nothing.  And Rosen isn't the type of guy to let that sort of thing go.  He will hold a grudge against the Cards forever.  Just stupid.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rampantjet said:

If you draft an OT early and they can't beat out either Beachum or Shell who are both the embodiment of average, then it seems like it was a bad pick right off the bat.  

I don't hate Beachum. He's better than he usually gets credit for, but he has had a history of injury in his past. And I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Shell may not even be ready for camp. I've lost track of who the backups are. Probably better not to know.

Say the Jets draft Jonah Williams. Well, he might start the season RT, slide into a guard position when Shell is ready and someone else is banged up. And if, God forbid, Beachum goes down, the Jets have an answer and a plan. We can't forget it's all about Darnold right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harris Smith said:

I don't hate Beachum. He's better than he usually gets credit for, but he has had a history of injury in his past. And I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Shell may not even be ready for camp. I've lost track of who the backups are. Probably better not to know.

Say the Jets draft Jonah Williams. Well, he might start the season RT, slide into a guard position when Shell is ready and someone else is banged up. And if, God forbid, Beachum goes down, the Jets have an answer and a plan. We can't forget it's all about Darnold right now.

Beachum is ok for a stop gap but going on year 3 that is no longer a stop gap.  He is an above average pass blocker which is nice, but he is a flat out liability in the run game.  Having someone who is elite in the passing game and at least average in the run game at LT would be a big boost for Sam and the offense in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with Jonah is many believe guard is where he belongs. I am not spending a first round pick on a guard. Even though we need linemen, we dont have that luxury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Problem with Jonah is many believe guard is where he belongs. I am not spending a first round pick on a guard. Even though we need linemen, we dont have that luxury.

Most believe he can actually play all 5 positions on the OL at a very high level. Making him actually more valuable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Most believe he can actually play all 5 positions on the OL at a very high level. Making him actually more valuable. 

I dont see him as a high level LT. Hes the one player i dont want to draft high. His value is only high if he can play LT if youre taking him top 10. He is not as dominate of a player as Nelson was last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I dont see him as a high level LT. Hes the one player i dont want to draft high. His value is only high if he can play LT if youre taking him top 10. He is not as dominate of a player as Nelson was last year. 

I like him. Not at 3... but in a trade back he is big time on my board. I like his versatility a lot and really think he can be a pro bowler in this league at any one of the 5 positions in the OL. I unlike you think he can play LT. If he struggles (which I don’t think he would)... move him to RT or OG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking at all the other teams that are behind us in the draft, no way can I come up with any team, that will give us what we want for our third pick in the draft. There is no reason for the Giants to move up, all the teams ahead of them have QB's, they are going to sit in wait. No way we can go wrong by drafting Allen. Somebody on the board early in last year college season was raving about Allen, ( who the hell watches Kentucky football ) but he was 100% correct. After the way he played last season and the great combine show he put up I really feel he is our man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

After looking at all the other teams that are behind us in the draft, no way can I come up with any team, that will give us what we want for our third pick in the draft. There is no reason for the Giants to move up, all the teams ahead of them have QB's, they are going to sit in wait. No way we can go wrong by drafting Allen. Somebody on the board early in last year college season was raving about Allen, ( who the hell watches Kentucky football ) but he was 100% correct. After the way he played last season and the great combine show he put up I really feel he is our man.

The thought process for a team like the Giants would be moving up to a spot where they know a team below them will not leapfrog them. 

Yes the teams between us and the Giants might not need QBs, but that wont stop those teams from trading down with a team that does want one, and knows the Giants do too. 

It's no different than why we moved up to 3 last year. We knew the Bills were getting aggressive moving up, so we squashed it before they could and guaranteed that we got one of the top Qbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johntyler82 said:

The thought process for a team like the Giants would be moving up to a spot where they know a team below them will not leapfrog them. 

Yes the teams between us and the Giants might not need QBs, but that wont stop those teams from trading down with a team that does want one, and knows the Giants do too. 

It's no different than why we moved up to 3 last year. We knew the Bills were getting aggressive moving up, so we squashed it before they could and guaranteed that we got one of the top Qbs.

There are no Darnold"s in this years draft. That is the huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

There are no Darnold"s in this years draft. That is the huge difference.

Nobody is arguing that.

...but doesn't change the tactical aspect of trading up to ensure you get a guy you are afraid could possibly be picked by another team leapfrogging you. 

Denver, Cincy, Miami and Washington could all easily trade up with the Bucs to snake whomever the Giants are wanting. They all have assets to make the trade too. 

The Giants know that, so they will wait until the draft starts to play out, and if they see things shaking out their way, they wait. But, if they see things getting rocky and they start hearing rumors about Bucs or Raiders or whoever entertaining trade offers, better believe they will try to move up. 

Look back at KCs massive trade up for Mahomes. Nobody saw that coming, everyone thought they were fine with Alex Smith and didnt suspect them to trade up at all. 

You just dont know until it happens. But make no mistake, it can definitely happen, and there is a precedent for it as well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jonah will be a high level RT long term or elite RG.  I see no reason why he should be a top 20 pick.  Top 5 no but top 20 seems ideal for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johntyler82 said:

Nobody is arguing that.

...but doesn't change the tactical aspect of trading up to ensure you get a guy you are afraid could possibly be picked by another team leapfrogging you. 

Denver, Cincy, Miami and Washington could all easily trade up with the Bucs to snake whomever the Giants are wanting. They all have assets to make the trade too. 

The Giants know that, so they will wait until the draft starts to play out, and if they see things shaking out their way, they wait. But, if they see things getting rocky and they start hearing rumors about Bucs or Raiders or whoever entertaining trade offers, better believe they will try to move up. 

Look back at KCs massive trade up for Mahomes. Nobody saw that coming, everyone thought they were fine with Alex Smith and didnt suspect them to trade up at all. 

You just dont know until it happens. But make no mistake, it can definitely happen, and there is a precedent for it as well. 

 

https://sportsnaut.com/2017/04/report-patrick-mahomes-expected-drafted-top-10/

So someone expected that.

 

Still, I don't get real strong feeling about any team trading up to get qb in a panic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

https://sportsnaut.com/2017/04/report-patrick-mahomes-expected-drafted-top-10/

So someone expected that.

 

Still, I don't get real strong feeling about any team trading up to get qb in a panic.

 

 

Nice find.

Let me rephrase. Nobody actually expected that trade to happen beyond speculation. A jump up from 27 that high? Everyone was surprised when it happened including yourself. 

What's more likely? A trade up from 27 in to the top 10? Or a trade from 6 to 3? The 6 to 3 trade all day everyday, and that type of trade has happened far more than the other. 

I'm not saying any one of those teams give me strong feelings that they will trade up, but saying that it can easily happen and there is a precedent for it. Every year in the draft a few surprise trades happen that nobody sees coming because some teams are better at keeping their intentions unknown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

After looking at all the other teams that are behind us in the draft, no way can I come up with any team, that will give us what we want for our third pick in the draft. There is no reason for the Giants to move up, all the teams ahead of them have QB's, they are going to sit in wait. No way we can go wrong by drafting Allen. Somebody on the board early in last year college season was raving about Allen, ( who the hell watches Kentucky football ) but he was 100% correct. After the way he played last season and the great combine show he put up I really feel he is our man.

Oakland will draft a QB this year.  Maybe not at 4 but mark my words they are not committed to Carr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×