Jump to content
Starless

"What Happened in Green Bay" - fascinating piece on Rodgers/McCarthy

Recommended Posts

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

 

Quote

Virtually all of them agree this era of Packers football is missing rings. Many rings. And sure, there's blame to spread. Some cite former general manager Ted Thompson literally falling asleep in meetings by the end of his tenure. Some cite the defense's innate ability to self-destruct each January.

But central to it all are the two Packers who lasted the longest.

McCarthy and Rodgers.

Where Jermichael Finley, a Packers tight end from 2008 to 2013, sees a self-entitled quarterback and bad leader, Grant thinks it's idiotic for anyone to complain about such a transcendent talent. Where Greg Jennings, a Packers receiver from 2006 to 2012, sees Rodgers as an ultrasensitive source of toxicity, others lambast McCarthy for wasting a gift from the football gods.

 

One ex-Packers scout puts it on both. He describes Rodgers as an arrogant quarterback quick to blame everyone but himself—one who's "not as smart as he thinks he is"—yet kindly points out that McCarthy basically quit on his team.

Nobody's sure where Rodgers and the Packers will go from here. How long this next marriage with new head coach Matt LaFleur will last.  

But one former teammate, lamenting this colossal what-if, makes one point on the past crystal clear.

"If you were going to write a headline," he says, "that would be it right there: How Egos Took Down the Packers."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Green Bay fans are slowly beginning to turn on Aaron Rodgers is amazing. He'll retire and they'll be a barren wasteland and all my 20-something friends who have grown up with Favre, then Rodgers will know the unbelievable sadness that is 85% of NFL QBs.

I'm so excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The fact that Green Bay fans are slowly beginning to turn on Aaron Rodgers is amazing. He'll retire and they'll be a barren wasteland and all my 20-something friends who have grown up with Favre, then Rodgers will know the unbelievable sadness that is 85% of NFL QBs.

I'm so excited.

It's not that outrageous, given the contents of this piece. I'd still put the lion's share of the blame on McCarthy but Rodgers comes off as very passive-aggressive and kind of a crappy teammate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Starless said:

It's not that outrageous, given the contents of this piece. I'd still put the lion's share of the blame on McCarthy but Rodgers comes off as very passive-aggressive and kind of a crappy teammate.

Yep. And then when he's gone and I'm watching a Packer game where they're down by 28 at half time with the ball on the 40 and all my friends want to die, I get to say, "Man, this is one of those situations where you'd want a QB with the ability to nail a Hail Mary to get back in the game."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Labeled a "passive aggressive and lousy teammate" by a disgruntled former WR who was upset that they PAID Rodgers and didn't pay him in Greg Jennings, who, by the way, did NOTHING after Aaron Rodgers, and a former TE with major "loose cannon" syndrome (https://lombardiave.com/2016/07/01/packers-greatest-headcases-jermichael-finley/) are now the sources?

LOL

I'm about to wish 20 years of Clevelandesque QB play on Green Bay when Rodgers retires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is like asking your ex-gfs to try to say something nice about you.

Christ, Finley mentioned 3x how much Aaron was paid lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Labeled a "passive aggressive and lousy teammate" by a disgruntled former WR who was upset that they PAID Rodgers and didn't pay him in Greg Jennings, who, by the way, did NOTHING after Aaron Rodgers

Jennings' QBs after Rodgers were Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel, a rookie Teddy Bridgewater and Ryan Tannehill. He was also on the wrong side of 30 for all those seasons and still produced reasonably well in Minnesota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Starless said:

Jennings' QBs after Rodgers were Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel, a rookie Teddy Bridgewater and Ryan Tannehill.

So? That's merely the production part. He bad mouthed Rodgers all the way out the door for not pushing to get him paid, bad mouthed the Packers for not paying him, and his lack of production warrants the reason that he wasn't paid. If he was still worth the payday, Rodgers would have pushed to get him paid.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

He was also on the wrong side of 30 for all those seasons and still produced reasonably well in Minnesota.

And they were SMART for not paying him and Rodgers was smart not to push to keep him. Jennings was bitter and bent out of shape then and clearly he still is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm about to wish 20 years of Clevelandesque QB play on Green Bay when Rodgers retires.

The old Packer fans understand that what has happened in GB for the last 25 years is insane. I will have sympathy for them. They won't be spared in the upcoming armageddon that will be the Packers roster without Godgers, but I will have sympathy for them.

But the Summer Children, who have never known a real Winter?

tenor.gif

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The old Packer fans understand that what has happened in GB for the last 25 years is insane. I will have sympathy for them. They won't be spared in the upcoming armageddon that will be the Packers roster without Godgers, but I will have sympathy for him.

That's because you deep down have those Wisconsin cheese curd ties in your blood. You can't help yourself but be a little sympathetic. Also, I have no ill will towards my Great Lakes brethren and appreciate their fan base. They've just been spoiled, along with Patriots, Steelers, Colts, and Ravens fans. 

You know who deserves some good vibes? The BUFFALO BILLS and CLEVELAND BROWNS. 

Shift the Great Lakes fortune a little more to the EAST

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But the Summer Children, who have never known a real Winter?

tenor.gif

LOL

They really have no idea what could/will hit them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol I would love to have had Rodgers “problems.” I would have traded Lebron James to Milwaukee for a QB of his caliber and I’m quite happy with Baker right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, candyman93 said:

lol I would love to have had Rodgers “problems.” I would have traded Lebron James to Milwaukee for a QB of his caliber and I’m quite happy with Baker right now.

You stick an alcoholic like LeBron in Wisconsin and we'd ruin him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You stick an alcoholic like LeBron in Wisconsin and we'd ruin him.

He’s more in to wine though. I can’t see him pounding Nattys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The old Packer fans understand that what has happened in GB for the last 25 years is insane. I will have sympathy for them. They won't be spared in the upcoming armageddon that will be the Packers roster without Godgers, but I will have sympathy for them.

But the Summer Children, who have never known a real Winter?

tenor.gif

I mean, we saw half a season with Hundley. We have an idea. albeit a small one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×