"What Happened in Green Bay" - fascinating piece on Rodgers/McCarthy

Apparition

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

For someone who doesn't follow the Packers intently, it's new. Much like how I wouldn't expect a non Texans fan to understand the dynamic between Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien last season, you should not expect non Pack fans to understand this dynamic.

This article painted something deeper, beyond Xs and Os. It was a good look at a bad relationship.

I mean, that's kinda the point.  You see non-Packers fans fans saying this is some scathing article, when Packers' fans have been discussing it for a while.  Nothing is new.  It might be new information for some, but it's a bit that's meant to get clicks.  It got exactly what it was supposed to do.  And the sheer amount of times that they reference Jermichael Finley and Greg Jennings, both of whom have been very vocal about their displeasure with the Packers' organization doesn't give it any extra credibility.  Supposedly, the Packers offer to Greg Jennings before he signed with Minnesota fell far short of the 5 year, $47.5M deal he ended up signing.  And instead of taking the context about San Francisco signing Greg Jennings, Jennings automatically assumed that Rodgers didn't want him there when the only WR that Rodgers was "closer" to was Jordy Nelson.

The piece is a sensationalist piece, and nothing really groundbreaking if you followed the Packers' organization.  And no, I'm not expecting you (or anyone else) to follow that closely.  Hell, I could probably name you a handful of starters on the Texans and that's about it.  But it's sensationalizing what we already knew.  The Packers' FO had been far too rigid in their decision making process, relying far too much on their draft process which they thought was infallible.  The HC thought his offensive system was full proof and wasn't the root of the issue.  And you had a QB who openly defied his HC.  People look at the Patriots' model and want to emulate it for obvious reasons, but the reality is that is an anomaly.  Not a standard.

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This article painted something deeper, beyond Xs and Os. It was a good look at a bad relationship.

It wasn't a good look though. It was a pretty garbage article that got more wrong than it got right. That's the problem.

It now influenced someone who admittedly wasn't aware of what was going on. So now you have just a bad view of it instead of no view at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, there's a whole lot of filler in there and most of the "groundbreaking" stuff really isn't anything new.  It's been discussed ad nauseam for the last few years.  Rodgers has a propensity to try and go for the big plays over the quick, easy passes.  McCarthy's offense has gotten stale and lacks any kind of imagination.  You can go on and on, but it's things that have been discussed the last few years in the Packers' forum.

Quick "easy" pass system is too hard and too complicated for Rodgers to command.

No QB would be so stupid to ignore an easy pass for first down on 3rd and 2,, the only reason he doesn't is he doesn't see the play.

BTW, the sentiment for QB like Rodgers is this "if I can complete one of the three passes, we are 25 yd close to end zone".

"You give the balls to running back? Do you expect to get first down? WTF don't you let me throw?"

Results? Shula became an idiot with Dan Marino 

Edited by William Lee

Focusing on the specifics of Dunne's article is burying the lede.

For many years, lazy national pundits and certain delusional Packer fans insisted Green Bay's previous GM, head coach Mike McCarthy, and QB Aaron Rodger were all "great" and that anyone claiming otherwise was an imbecile. 

Moreover, for such Packers fans, the notions that (1) McCarthy may not really be an offensive genius and should have been held responsible for the recurring poor special teams and defensive play and (2) the GM's disdain for free agency and refusal to make player trades might be a bug rather than a feature were for years met with ridicule and scorn and of course chest beating about how the Pack was winning so many regular season games and  NFC North Titles (while ignoring the fact that the Lions, Bears, and Vikings were not exactly been very good during the operative time period).

Thus, many claiming Dunne is simply regurgitating yesterday's news are, in reality, seething that he has exposed the Pack's dysfunction for all to see.

Dunne's article has effectively destroyed the notion that the Packers previous GM and Head Coach were anything special (at least over the last 1/2 of their tenures in Green Bay) and has seriously called into question Aaron Rodgers' greatness as a QB (not his talent but his greatness).

The former GM's time in the NFL appears to be over as he is rumored to be too infirm to even travel on his own any longer so his legacy is cemented.

Whether McCarthy gets another shot at head coach remains to be seen, but if he does not get one or if he gets another one and fails not even his biggest fans will likely ever consider him to be a "great" coach again.

As for Rodgers, no one will ever question his great talent, but if he ends his career with just one Super Bowl appearance many will not think of "greatness" when they look back on his career - least of all Rodgers himself (from a 2013 interview with Bob Costas):

"I really believe that you earn your paycheck during the season," Rodgers told Costas. "[You] play at a high level and get your team to the playoffs. And then the postseason is all about creating your legacy. The great quarterbacks are remembered for their playoff successes and triumphs and Super Bowl championships and Super Bowl MVPs. We've got one here, and we want to add to that."

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:
20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

And how would he know when obviously neither Rodgers or MM would talk to him.

It's a laughable article that tries to find drama where there is far, far less than the author wanted. Certainly crumbs of the article are true, but some of the hot takez like this (and the nonsense about the conversation the FO had with Rodgers after the La Fleur hiring) are laughable.

It's certainly a lot easier to brush it off and dismiss it when it doesn't align with your personal viewpoint, isn't it?

Like I was saying...

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers says the report of Packers CEO Mark Murphy telling him, “don’t be the problem” in a phone call is “ridiculous. 100% patently false.”

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-04-08-aaron-rodgers-refutes-damning-details-of-bleacher-report-article/

Aaron confirms the obvious: That a scorned journalist obviously is making stuff up that even a slightly critical reader can suss out. How would anyone other than Rodgers or Murphy know what was said in that conversation? Yet he prints absolutely nonsense.

• Like 1

Reddit post on point:

The Aaron Rodgers sports media cycle (brought to you by State Farm):

1. Post stories about Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley trash talking him

2. Post stories about how Aaron Rodgers doesn’t talk to his mommy and daddy anymore

3. Post stories about how he’s still single and add some coded language that speculates he might be gay

4. ???

5. Profit

Rinse and Repeat

Edited by PapaShogun

On 4/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, Outpost31 said:

Aaron Rodgers still protected by, "It's hearsay from butt hurt former teammates."  McCarthy?  Nah, all that's true about him. 

Packer fans are in the delusional stage of a Hall of Fame QB career.  Just like it was never Favre's fault when he'd throw 6 interceptions in the playoffs or throw THE interception in the playoffs, it's not Aaron's fault.  Nobody is open, offensive line sucks, he doesn't have a tight end.  It's not true.  Receivers ran wide open frequently last year and Rodgers flat out did not throw to them.  Graham and Marquez Valdez-Scantling especially were open far more often than they were targeted, and not in cases of extreme pressure or Rodgers not looking their way.  These are cases of Rodgers looking directly at them being wide open and not throwing to them.

If Matt LaFleur doesn't fix Aron's extreme problem with trust and giving his teammates a chance, the Packers will not win another Super Bowl with the most physically gifted QB of all-time.  It's sad that 41-year-old Tom Brady is more effective with less talent than 35-year-old Aaron Rodgers, and I wish Rodgers had Tom's football brain and lack of ego. 

🎯🎯

19 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Focusing on the specifics of Dunne's article is burying the lede.

For many years, lazy national pundits and certain delusional Packer fans insisted Green Bay's previous GM, head coach Mike McCarthy, and QB Aaron Rodger were all "great" and that anyone claiming otherwise was an imbecile. 

Moreover, for such Packers fans, the notions that (1) McCarthy may not really be an offensive genius and should have been held responsible for the recurring poor special teams and defensive play and (2) the GM's disdain for free agency and refusal to make player trades might be a bug rather than a feature were for years met with ridicule and scorn and of course chest beating about how the Pack was winning so many regular season games and  NFC North Titles (while ignoring the fact that the Lions, Bears, and Vikings were not exactly been very good during the operative time period).

Thus, many claiming Dunne is simply regurgitating yesterday's news are, in reality, seething that he has exposed the Pack's dysfunction for all to see.

Dunne's article has effectively destroyed the notion that the Packers previous GM and Head Coach were anything special (at least over the last 1/2 of their tenures in Green Bay) and has seriously called into question Aaron Rodgers' greatness as a QB (not his talent but his greatness).

The former GM's time in the NFL appears to be over as he is rumored to be too infirm to even travel on his own any longer so his legacy is cemented.

Whether McCarthy gets another shot at head coach remains to be seen, but if he does not get one or if he gets another one and fails not even his biggest fans will likely ever consider him to be a "great" coach again.

As for Rodgers, no one will ever question his great talent, but if he ends his career with just one Super Bowl appearance many will not think of "greatness" when they look back on his career - least of all Rodgers himself (from a 2013 interview with Bob Costas):

"I really believe that you earn your paycheck during the season," Rodgers told Costas. "[You] play at a high level and get your team to the playoffs. And then the postseason is all about creating your legacy. The great quarterbacks are remembered for their playoff successes and triumphs and Super Bowl championships and Super Bowl MVPs. We've got one here, and we want to add to that."

I've always remembered that one.  It was a cheap shot at Brett Favre, made by an overconfident Aaron Rodgers who thought he was certain to pass Favre up in the championship count.  Ever since hearing him make such an arrogant statement, it has been a pleasure watching Rodgers and his teams meltdown in the playoffs time and time again.  :D

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Like I was saying...

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers says the report of Packers CEO Mark Murphy telling him, “don’t be the problem” in a phone call is “ridiculous. 100% patently false.”

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-04-08-aaron-rodgers-refutes-damning-details-of-bleacher-report-article/

Aaron confirms the obvious: That a scorned journalist obviously is making stuff up that even a slightly critical reader can suss out. How would anyone other than Rodgers or Murphy know what was said in that conversation? Yet he prints absolutely nonsense.

And Mike McCarthy says the report of his missing team meetings in lieu of getting a massage is "absurd."  So I guess we can forget the whole thing.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

And Mike McCarthy says the report of his missing team meetings in lieu of getting a massage is "absurd."  So I guess we can forget the whole thing.

Yep. It's a trash article. Pretty obvious at this point to anyone without an agenda.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've always remembered that one.  It was a cheap shot at Brett Favre, made by an overconfident Aaron Rodgers who thought he was certain to pass Favre up in the championship count.  Ever since hearing him make such an arrogant statement, it has been a pleasure watching Rodgers and his teams meltdown in the playoffs time and time again.  :D

Is that all you got out of that quote? Rodgers stated that because he wanted to take a cheapshot at Favre? Really? Lol. 

Oh yeah, and let's talk about playoff success and meltdowns. Rodgers alone has more Lombardi trophies than your entire franchise, so yeah, lets talk about it. Tracy Porter... 38-7...

Man you're a tool. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Is that all you got out of that quote? Rodgers stated that because he wanted to take a cheapshot at Favre? Really? Lol. 

Oh yeah, and let's talk about playoff success and meltdowns. Rodgers alone has more Lombardi trophies than your entire franchise, so yeah, lets talk about it. Tracy Porter... 38-7...

Man you're a tool. 

I'm an adult, so I won't lower myself to name calling as you have done. 

Regarding the rest of your response, I will say that I did get more out of that quote.  Certainly, he wants to win in the postseason.  That is naturally going to be the case.  At the same time, it wasn't hard for anyone with their eyes open to the dynamics of their relationship to see that Rodgers was using the opportunity to try and diminish the legacy of the legend he replaced in order to enhance his own.  

As far as the number of Lombardi trophies my franchise has, what does that have to do with this thread or anything in the article?  Answer: absolutely nothing.  I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest though.  Truly.  I'm happy for you.  You really "thumped" me on that one.  9_9

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm an adult, so I won't lower myself to name calling as you have done. 

Regarding the rest of your response, I will say that I did get more out of that quote.  Certainly, he wants to win in the postseason.  That is naturally going to be the case.  At the same time, it wasn't hard for anyone with their eyes open to the dynamics of their relationship to see that Rodgers was using the opportunity to try and diminish the legacy of the legend he replaced in order to enhance his own.  

As far as the number of Lombardi trophies my franchise has, what does that have to do with this thread or anything in the article?  Answer: absolutely nothing.  I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest though.  Truly.  I'm happy for you.  You really "thumped" me on that one.  9_9

You "won't lower yourself to name calling" but you in fact do often act as what is known as a "tool", that's nice. 

You like to take childish jabs at the Packers organization and players but when someone retorts it, you cry wolf. 

My work is done here. Moving along. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

You "won't lower yourself to name calling" but you in fact do often act as what is known as a "tool", that's nice. 

You like to take childish jabs at the Packers organization and players but when someone retorts it, you cry wolf. 

My work is done here. Moving along. 

Pretty much his MO. Drop in, take subtle cheap shot, get called on his stupidity, play the victim like he hasn't been doing this for years. 

• Like 5