TCMD - Keeper League Discussion

ny92mike

6 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

@ny92mike I'm in.

Can I get the 9ers this time?

I'll probably get stabbed but sure.

I figure after a couple years of running this, that teams won't really even look much like their real team (Gettleman did this in less than a year...haha) and I expect to allow team name and location changes, so if members are assigned a team they aren't a fan of, they'll be able to personalize it, but will not change the divisions.

Edited by ny92mike

On 5/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, ny92mike said:

There is some back and forth on exactly how to set it up, but I'm asking you guys if this is something you'd be interested in joining.

In short, I'd like to run a keeper league.  The off season will basically be ran like I've always ran tcmd, with free agency, trades, draft.  The "in season" I'd like to keep simple and not have it drag out for months.  There is more information in this thread detailing the process, right now I'm just looking to see if it's even possible that we could get 32 members to kick this off.

So if you're interested  

@LuckyNumber11

@Justone2

@DTMW78

@NickChowaniec

@Trojan

@sparky151

@RTTRUTH

@D82

@BowserBroncos

@winitall

@squire12

@Counselor

@jch1911

@Tugboat

@samsel23

@SirA1

@jrry32

@mountainpd

@RpMc

@Dome

@Deadpulse

@daineraider

@EaglesPeteC

@bcb1213

@KingOfTheDot

@daineraider

@Cbrunn

@Forge

@One Punch Man

@IrishHooligan00

@mike23md

@IDOG_det

@davidderion

@Fragafootball

@USC_Fan

@jonnguy2015

@Eric dunn

@burnoutonme

@ChaRisMa

@djw4bucs

@MKnight82

@Ragnarok

@Tatupu_64

If you haven't stated it already please let us know if you would be interested in joining this keeper.

Its important we get a head count.

Here are the members that have either posted in this thread or have said they would be interested.  Not a huge listing, I'm hoping that our other loyal tcmd members will get in soon, but I guess we should have a back up plan should we not get 32 to join.

Creating new divisions would be necessary, along with a new schedule, but @bcb1213 has a ton of experience with this so I'm certain that all of this could get worked out.

We'd also need to adjust the salary cap to account for teams being packed with talent, we'd likely want to increase the roster limits as well for the duration.  @squire12 you mentioned starting it a little later in the season, something like after the preseason, which might be best considering we haven't had too many showing interest in this and last night I was working on this project, pulling contract info from overthecap and realized that most of the draftees do not have contracts yet.  

@bcb1213

@Counselor

@Deadpulse

@DTMW78

@EaglesPeteC

@mountainpd

@NickChowaniec 

@ny92mike

@RTTRUTH

@samsel23

@squire12

@winitall

If you guys wouldn't mind reaching out to your buddies and ask them to join, Um...that would great.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Here are the members that have either posted in this thread or have said they would be interested.  Not a huge listing, I'm hoping that our other loyal tcmd members will get in soon, but I guess we should have a back up plan should we not get 32 to join.

Creating new divisions would be necessary, along with a new schedule, but @bcb1213 has a ton of experience with this so I'm certain that all of this could get worked out.

We'd also need to adjust the salary cap to account for teams being packed with talent, we'd likely want to increase the roster limits as well for the duration.  @squire12 you mentioned starting it a little later in the season, something like after the preseason, which might be best considering we haven't had too many showing interest in this and last night I was working on this project, pulling contract info from overthecap and realized that most of the draftees do not have contracts yet.  

@bcb1213

@Counselor

@Deadpulse

@DTMW78

@EaglesPeteC

@mountainpd

@NickChowaniec 

@ny92mike

@RTTRUTH

@samsel23

@squire12

@winitall

If you guys wouldn't mind reaching out to your buddies and ask them to join, Um...that would great.

giphy.gif

I will be on vacation for a week in late august.  Add to that about 4-5 other fantasy player auctions and drafts, and my spare time for the startup on this is going to be really limited.  That is a big reason why I would advocate for moving the startup player acquisition for this to after the NFL regular season starts.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I will be on vacation for a week in late august.  Add to that about 4-5 other fantasy player auctions and drafts, and my spare time for the startup on this is going to be really limited.  That is a big reason why I would advocate for moving the startup player acquisition for this to after the NFL regular season starts.

And I'm fine with that.  The only reason I was looking to kick it off early is because Pete mentioned having it start in July.  I'm good with kicking it off at any point before Jan of next year.

So if there is a date that works better for everyone, I'm good with it.

So the attention that I was hoping for with many of our regular tcmd members just isn't here.  I'm now looking at scaling this thing back to a 16 team league and structuring it to include more of the reg. season.  

I'm having a war with myself on exactly how to structure it but after a brief bout with insanity you guys are stuck with me for another year.

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

So the attention that I was hoping for with many of our regular tcmd members just isn't here.  I'm now looking at scaling this thing back to a 16 team league and structuring it to include more of the reg. season.  

I'm having a war with myself on exactly how to structure it but after a brief bout with insanity you guys are stuck with me for another year.

I think that is better especially as we are just experimenting. If it goes well more people will want in. As I said, build as you envision it and let the first couple seasons just be trial and error and we can figure it out as a group 

@Counselor and I have been talking about this reduced team and feel that we've got a pretty cool way of setting it up.

Rather than the 32 team keeper I was originally talking about, we're moving it back to a 16 team league.  Just not enough interest to consider a 32 team league right now.

To kick this off, we'll select one team if you're a fan of that team you'll get preference offer a member that isn't a fan of that team.

Once everyone has the one team picked, we'll divide the other team rosters into position groups and conduct a draft, so rather than picking the entire team, you're picking positions QB, RB/FB, TE, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB, ST.  You can only pick one position group to fill your roster.

Any players left over land in the initial free agency, which I'm calling the veterans free agency or VFA.  

From your team you picked and the position groups you add you'll be given time to trade or drop players prior to this VFA.  

Not a ton of detail but this is the skinny.  We are expecting to launch this in mid to late sept.

As far as the reg season for this structure goes we'll run a rather quick season lasting maybe a month, where we will simulate the weeks games, in place of writing gameplans for each week.  Members will vote on that results of the sim to determine the winner for each game.  The post season will be done using write ups where you provide a roster lineup and gameplan and each member votes on the outcome.   

Apologies for changing it up yet again, but as I work through it with you guys things will change and hopefully by the end of it we have a quality system in place, that we can build on each season.

• Like 2

An example of this model and draft would be: If you were a Giants fan you get the Giants roster.

Now you must fill the rest of your roster with position groups from the other 16 teams that weren’t picked in the original selection. 

So say you have the first pick. And just for example, Patriots, Bengals, Vikings, Seahawks, are four of the teams not picked.

Looking at your Giants team you might say hmmm I’d really like to improve this Giants receiving corps.

So with the first pick I choose the Vikings WR group. You get all their WR and now with your second round pick and beyond can not draft a WR group because you filled that slot and added them to your Giants WR group. 

Second round comes around and Seahawks LBers are still there for the taking! So you decide to pick their LBers. Now your LBer slot is filled and added to your Giants LBer group and so on.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Counselor said:

This model guarantees everyone doubles up at every position group for a deeper roster, allows you to start with your team, allows you to still build it your way. I think it’s a win/win to start off this Sim. 

Agreed.  It would also reduce the draft time for this process.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 11:18 PM, ny92mike said:

Agreed.  It would also reduce the draft time for this process.

I’m a fan of this idea. Looking through it, was there any thought in terms of how the draft order would be created?  I’m just worried that if it’s a random that it could make some overpowered teams if someone like the Patriots is able to pick up a top-5 DL or something because they win the random. 

How do the added position groups being added into an original roster affect the overall salary cap for 1 of the 16 teams.  Feels like teams are going to be pushing the salary cap limit pretty easily when adding upper tier position groups from the FA groups.