TCMD - Keeper League Discussion

ny92mike

9 hours ago, winitall said:

I’m a fan of this idea. Looking through it, was there any thought in terms of how the draft order would be created?  I’m just worried that if it’s a random that it could make some overpowered teams if someone like the Patriots is able to pick up a top-5 DL or something because they win the random. 

Right now @Counselor and I were talking about the order being determined by the 3 year average of the standings of your first team.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

How do the added position groups being added into an original roster affect the overall salary cap for 1 of the 16 teams.  Feels like teams are going to be pushing the salary cap limit pretty easily when adding upper tier position groups from the FA groups.

We know that we'll need to increase the salary cap since we're only going to be using 16 teams so that top talent doesn't end up in free agency.  Just haven't put it together yet on what that amount will be, but it'll be set up to handle more quality players.  We originally was looking a a 75 man roster but with only 16 teams we may increase that to 90.  

I've pulled rosters to work this issue but need to adjust it for a 16 team league.  When I finished we can play around with the system to see what the best amount would be.  

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎30 at 2:29 PM, winitall said:

I’m a fan of this idea. Looking through it, was there any thought in terms of how the draft order would be created?  I’m just worried that if it’s a random that it could make some overpowered teams if someone like the Patriots is able to pick up a top-5 DL or something because they win the random. 

Had one thought on this. What if the teams we choose to start with draft based on last years draft standings? If we start in September we can use the 2019 draft order to decide who picks first. Whoever has Arizona for example would be going first, Pats going last? I mean if we're after parity, which is usually the goal...this makes sense. And as a Colts guy, I'm not picking early. So this isn't a suggestion to favor myself. Just one reasonable option

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

Had one thought on this. What if the teams we choose to start with draft based on last years draft standings? If we start in September we can use the 2019 draft order to decide who picks first. Whoever has Arizona for example would be going first, Pats going last? I mean if we're after parity, which is usually the goal...this makes sense. And as a Colts guy, I'm not picking early. So this isn't a suggestion to favor myself. Just one reasonable option

I'm looking at doing something very similar but rather than just looking at last years draft order, I'm taking the average of the past three years.

Was holding off on posting this but even though it isn't quite finished yet give it a read.

So after 5 plus years of talking about it, the TCMD gang is finally getting our feet wet with a franchise mode keeper league and hope that at least 16 of you are willing to take the plunge with us...water’s great!  We were calling it a continuous mock back in 2014. Whether you call it a dynasty, keeper, continuous mock or franchise mode, it’s all basically the same thing. The idea is to provide you with a reorganized well-run complete season from preseason to offseason that picks up where it left off at the start of each keeper year.

The league will kick off with 16 teams, with the option for expansion teams to be added in future years.  We’re looking for serious members that can commit to a minimum of two years. Nothing against you, but we’ll be selective in whom we select once you’ve signed up.  So for the record being the first to sign up doesn’t reserve you a chair, I hope you can all understand and respect that especially in this first year launch that having someone drop out midway through the season could have lasting effects that we couldn’t recover from.  We’re looking for the most enthusiastic members out there, so if that’s you keep reading.

Before you commit to something you need to know exactly what you’re committing to.  So here it is in a nutshell.

Proposed Schedule

This first season will start early to mid-September time frame, providing ample time to conduct the initial roster building phase, which will take roughly a month to complete, and by far the biggest event for this sim.  From there, the normal start date of Nov. 1st will kick off the regular season, which will last for about a month and the postseason taking the first week of December.  We’ll take a break for the holidays and pick it up again for the offseason come early April. So first year, we’re looking at a total amount of about 5 months to complete a full season and all following years taking roughly 4 months to complete.  Like with most tcmd mocks, the schedule will be broken down into phases so expect plenty of time to get your business done.

NOT YET LINKED - View projected year one schedule here.

For this to work as advertised, we’re requiring that members be willing to put in a little work outside of managing your team.  Whether that is working with me in keeping the workbooks up to date or taking on the task of creating the schedule, managing the draft board, trade council, creative writing to spice it up, posting the weekly lineups, managing the standings, moderating, etc.  In short, we’re just looking for members that are willing to help make this new endeavor a success and enjoyable for everyone involved by sharing the workload to some degree. I’ll do everything I can to make every process as simplified as possible from both the team building aspect as well as the membership responsibilities in keeping this keeper alive.

Members will be asked to attend a brief yearly meeting after the season is over to discuss and vote on any minor rule changes proposed throughout the year.  Major rule changes are open for debate during this yearly meeting but ultimately any major changes that would require a complete overhaul of the workbooks or things that would radically change the core structure of the tcmd mock will be my decision.   Advocating for a change such as including an additional FA bid slot, even though it would require overhauling a portion of the workbook, I consider this a minor change. Any minor changes voted in would take effect the following year, unless it is to correct a loophole or error and it will be addressed immediately.

Initial team roster building

Part One -  Selecting your complete team

If you’re a fan of a specific team, and I mean a real fan of the team we’ll do our best to match you with your favorite team, to kick this off.   If you’re wanting to start off with a different team or if your favorite team has already been handed out to a fan a randomized draft order will be generated at which time you’ll get to select the team to kick this team building process off.

Part Two - Positional Draft

The remaining unselected 16 teams are broken down into position groups, which we’ll be drafting during this section of the team building phase.  To determine the draft order for this section, we’re taking the past 3 year standing’s average of the team you acquired from part one. Once you draft a position group, you can not draft that same position group again.  

Part Three - Finalize your initial roster

There are some restrictions as to which players can be dropped / added / traded during this preliminary roster building phase.  

• Cannot exceed a 90 man roster

• Last year’s rookie draft class cannot be released or traded.

• Cannot exceed your available cap.

• Must retain at least 20% of your team’s part one / two roster includes Rookies.

• All trades during this initial phase must be approved by the trade council.

Using restructured contractual data collected from www.spotrac.com  each member will decide which players they’ll retain, drop and/or trade.  

• By retaining, you agree to the player’s current irl contract; both in length and salary for each contractual year.

• Dropping or releasing during this phase doesn’t accrue dead money, as this is designed to completely erase the entire contract without any cap penalties.

• Trading does come at a cost, by accelerating signing bonuses as dead money, basically like it’s done in the NFL.  We’re including the dead money on trades so that drafting a positional rank with the sole idea of just using it as trade is limited.  A trade counsel will appointed to manage and oversee.

Part Four - Veterans Free Agency (VFA)

Once the dust settles and you’re under the salary cap and roster limit.  There is reason to save some additional dollars and roster spots for the VFA.  The Veterans Free Agency is a tcmd style free agency, where teams place bids on the available players that were dropped during part three.  If you’re familiar with tcmd this makes sense, but those not familiar with how the free agency is done in tcmd. You’ll have the option to place a select number of bids during each fa bidding round, where the highest blind bid wins the contract.  Each player has a required APY and Year amount that they’ll accept as a valid contract offer. After each round of bidding these amounts are decreased by 10% to 20% until the APY and Year are at the vet min and one year deals (will have a exact number once I see the amount and talent of players).  

For this VFA only, if you drop a player during part three you’ll have the ability to resign him on a potentially cheaper deal, if you aren’t outbid by another team.  There is no hometown discount for this event.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so a couple posts above here I read the post that's all in red explaining a lot of the things that I need to know. @ny92mike

So here is my response I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan that is a team that I would prefer not the team that I "demand"; by that I mean this I know that there are at least a few Pittsburgh Steeler fans that get involved in mock drafts so EF having the Steelers or not having the Steelers is a deal-breaker with someone else that would want to be a part of this I am willing to accept a different team.

Additionally I am absolutely willing to help out on the trade Council.

I am also willing to step up and do some Weekly right up some interviews get some creative writing stuff going on almost like newscast if you will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Alright so a couple posts above here I read the post that's all in red explaining a lot of the things that I need to know. @ny92mike

So here is my response I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan that is a team that I would prefer not the team that I "demand"; by that I mean this I know that there are at least a few Pittsburgh Steeler fans that get involved in mock drafts so EF having the Steelers or not having the Steelers is a deal-breaker with someone else that would want to be a part of this I am willing to accept a different team.

Additionally I am absolutely willing to help out on the trade Council.

I am also willing to step up and do some Weekly right up some interviews get some creative writing stuff going on almost like newscast if you will.

Appreciate the willingness to help.

I really miss not seeing more of creative writing.  So that is something id lije see return.  I read what you did in bdl...good stuff man.

• Like 1

Just now, ny92mike said:

Appreciate the willingness to help.

I really miss not seeing more of creative writing.  So that is something id lije see return.  I read what you did in bdl...good stuff man.

Yeah I meant to keep up with it there's been some really whacked out stuff that happened in free agency over and BDL that just screamed a interview this crazy GM about why he spent so much money lol so I'm going to try to do more there.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:56 PM, ny92mike said:

@Counselor

So @bcb1213 had an idea, if we can't figure out the formula for projecting the winner of the game.  He suggested an alternative or plan b if we just voted on the rosters for the matchup.  Building on that, we could still create game plans for the postseason and I just thought about introducing a "Callout"  So for example, if I'm going up against a team that looks to have a better looking roster, I can attempt to steal a win by calling out my opponent.  Where we both are forced to create gameplans for that matchup.  We'd be allotted only a few of these during the regular season.

I think if we used bcb's plan of voting on rosters that this process would still allow some gameplanning but it wouldn't become a bore because we aren't having to do these plans each week just two or three per regular season and the postseason.  We'd likely have to create a rule that a team can only be called out 3 or 4 times during the regular season.   

So I'm still reading through all of the pages but this idea definitely has Mara as well I like both planned so far suggested on the first page of This Thread about possible formulas to project wins

Looking for some feedback on using this salary cap figure.  So the IRL base salary cap is currently 188,200,000, I'm looking at bumping that figure to  $265,400,000, a 77 million dollar bump in pay.

This would set it up so that using a 75 man roster, with the option to go as high as 90.  This 265 amount would average out to roughly 3.5 m per player's yearly salary.  Which is a jump compared to irl salary cap averages for teams with a 90 man roster, the average player cost is around 2.3m give or take a couple hundred K. 

In other words, this amount would allow you to take 70% of your cap to pay on avg. 25 players roughly  7.5 m while using the other 30% to pay on average 1.5m the other 50+