TCMD - Keeper League Discussion

ny92mike

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

The issue with using team stats to determine W/L, in a few years, the players on NFL teams could be quite different than this league.  

How do you rectify the discrepancy in the individual players that make up the various units from the 2 entities?

I'd still be pulling irl individual stats to create the tcmd team stats.  Now, there isn't much I can do about lets say if Eli Manning was traded in this keeper to a team with a quality offensive line with some quality receivers.  His stats are his stats regardless who he has around him.  However, if the players around him in this keeper are graded high, it's still going to make the unit better.  For example, if Eli threw 20 TD's this season irl yet in tcmd his receivers totaled 30 TD's the math doesn't add up but the grades for that position will be higher therefore making the overall offensive grade higher, thus potentially winning more games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

It's a big question.

My preference would be to run this as a 32 team keeper league (carryover) where the focus is the offseason and the simulated season is primarily a tool used to determine the draft order, and to provide some high fives among friends, to put it simply.

If that is the case, then we need to lay out the schedule of when that is going to begin.  Like I noted in an earlier post, if this is the plan, then the 2019 NFL season is really not a big deal and serves no real value other than to let you test some formulas for the simulation in future years and see how players being on different teams might affect the accuracy of things.   It was a bit confusing with how things were presented before with the player acquisition discussion.   If it is a long term TCMD process that carries the transactions into future seasons, that is fine and needs to be the message going forward.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

If that is the case, then we need to lay out the schedule of when that is going to begin.  Like I noted in an earlier post, if this is the plan, then the 2019 NFL season is really not a big deal and serves no real value other than to let you test some formulas for the simulation in future years and see how players being on different teams might affect the accuracy of things.   It was a bit confusing with how things were presented before with the player acquisition discussion.   If it is a long term TCMD process that carries the transactions into future seasons, that is fine and needs to be the message going forward.  

I think it would depend on if we started with blank rosters or if we start with irl rosters, either way I'll likely want to test things out during this season to iron out the wrinkles.

Which I think we could use this last tcmd mini to see what the standings might look like.  As well as to build some guidelines for this from start to end to figure out what all we'd like to use or build on for this project.

Edited by ny92mike

39 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I think it would depend on if we started with blank rosters or if we start with irl rosters, either way I'll likely want to test things out during this season to iron out the wrinkles.

Which I think we could use this last tcmd mini to see what the standings might look like.  As well as to build some guidelines for this from start to end to figure out what all we'd like to use or build on for this project.

So this is the confusing part.  If it is going to be TCMD with continuation of the transactions,  then starting with the actual NFL rosters as they are at the end of 2019 season.  As you noted earlier, a player acquisition  phase is going to take a long time....like months. 

There would be little incentive to select players that are expiring contracts.

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So this is the confusing part.  If it is going to be TCMD with continuation of the transactions,  then starting with the actual NFL rosters as they are at the end of 2019 season.  As you noted earlier, a player acquisition  phase is going to take a long time....like months. 

There would be little incentive to select players that are expiring contracts.

I'm fine either way, honestly just using the irl rosters as is at the end of the season would be the easiest and something we're all familiar with.  The discussion about starting with blank rosters was from an earlier discussion where several prefered a fantasy style draft to kick it off.  Even during that discussion I was for keeping the irl rosters as is for the first season to get it rolling.

If we do start with blank rosters, expiring contracts is something we'd need to work out.  Player's on single year deals could be pulled into a free agency after we fill the rosters.  Or providing extensions, 5th year options and resign advantages imo would put the incentive back into selecting players with low contracts.  Either way, this is all the stuff that we need to work through to find the best path forward.  

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

This was our last discussion about a keeper league.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587697

Some interesting stuff and worth the read.

Good read for sure.  Some highlights/summary

1.  Keep the NFL rosters as they are at the start of this League.  

2.  First off season is when the rosters would start to shuffle players different than what they are IRL.

3.  Draft would take place after the NFL draft.  

4.  Would need a few Vice presidents in command of different aspects of the League to assist @ny92mike from having to do the whole thing.  

This quote from Mike is hopefully aging well in the Gettleman era:ph34r:

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the rosters as they are in real life. The idea of a fantasy draft is cool and all but like tcm I do prefer to keep it as real as possible, besides I love my Giants roster for the most part. Also like the idea of seeing what these rosters will look like in a few years time. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Good read for sure.  Some highlights/summary

1.  Keep the NFL rosters as they are at the start of this League.  

2.  First off season is when the rosters would start to shuffle players different than what they are IRL.

3.  Draft would take place after the NFL draft.  

4.  Would need a few Vice presidents in command of different aspects of the League to assist @ny92mike from having to do the whole thing.  

This quote from Mike is hopefully aging well in the Gettleman era:ph34r:

LOL...I did like the roster back then, it is unrecognizable right now from what it was back in 2017.

Not sure I'd want the draft to happen after the irl draft.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

LOL...I did like the roster back then, it is unrecognizable right now from what it was back in 2017.

Not sure I'd want the draft to happen after the irl draft.

There was a lot of discussion on that.  Would allow owners in this league to have a better idea on some of the unknown information that NFL teams have access to....injuries, off field issues, etc.  

A potential schedule is something like

After the super bowl, rosters get pulled from spotrac/over the cap

FA can start after the NFL FA main rush , maybe sometime in early April.  FA and early off season activities in April/May

Draft can start about 1 week after the NFL draft.  

Just some thoughts.

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

There was a lot of discussion on that.  Would allow owners in this league to have a better idea on some of the unknown information that NFL teams have access to....injuries, off field issues, etc.  

A potential schedule is something like

After the super bowl, rosters get pulled from spotrac/over the cap

FA can start after the NFL FA main rush , maybe sometime in early April.  FA and early off season activities in April/May

Draft can start about 1 week after the NFL draft.  

Just some thoughts.

That time frame worked great before I owned a motorcycle...haha.

Seriously, I'm cool with any time frame as long as I can keep all of the tcmd stuff together without any real gaps in the schedule.

Just now, ny92mike said:

@Counselor

You got any input on any of this?  I feel like I've lost you and thinking it is because the direction of this is changing.

Naw man haven’t lost me. I’ve been mulling over a possible big work change decision for about five days now and have to make the decision tomorrow and I’m still undecided so that has some of my attention. And been reading Mafia game stuff in between. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Naw man haven’t lost me. I’ve been mulling over a possible big work change decision for about five days now and have to make the decision tomorrow and I’m still undecided so that has some of my attention. And been reading Mafia game stuff in between. 

Never played this mafia game but it seems to pull the people in.  Must be fun.

Good luck with the work deal, hope it works out good for you.

Do you guys have a preference for starting this keeper?  

Blank rosters or irl rosters?

Being a fan as bad as I hate what this Owner has done to the Giants, I've still got attachments to this roster.  I'm excited to see what these rookies do so I'm leaning toward starting this keeper out just like any other tcmd year.  Nonetheless, I'm open to starting with empty rosters to kick this off.  

I think the one benefit to using the irl rosters would be that I don't think we'd have a problem getting the 32 members signed up.  Who knows though, we've never done it so maybe it wouldn't matter.  

Let me know how you guys would rather start it off, we can work out the kinks regardless which one we use.