TCMD - Keeper League Discussion

ny92mike

This is the same chart sorted by division.  

For the most part it does a solid job but it does miss on a few.

NewEnglandPatriots AFC AFCE 11 11
BuffaloBills AFC AFCE 5 6
NewYorkJets AFC AFCE 5 4
MiamiDolphins AFC AFCE 3 7

PittsburghSteelers AFC AFCN 13 9
BaltimoreRavens AFC AFCN 12 10
CincinnatiBengals AFC AFCN 7 6
ClevelandBrowns AFC AFCN 5 7

IndianapolisColts AFC AFCS 13 10
HoustonTexans AFC AFCS 11 11
TennesseeTitans AFC AFCS 9 9
JacksonvilleJaguars AFC AFCS 6 5

KansasCityChiefs AFC AFCW 14 12
LosAngelesChargers AFC AFCW 11 12
DenverBroncos AFC AFCW 3 6
OaklandRaiders AFC AFCW 2 4

DallasCowboys NFC NFCE 10 10
PhiladelphiaEagles NFC NFCE 6 9
WashingtonRedskins NFC NFCE 5 7
NewYorkGiants NFC NFCE 5 5

ChicagoBears NFC NFCN 12 12
MinnesotaVikings NFC NFCN 10 8
DetroitLions NFC NFCN 8 6
GreenBayPackers NFC NFCN 6 6

NewOrleansSaints NFC NFCS 13 13
CarolinaPanthers NFC NFCS 9 7
AtlantaFalcons NFC NFCS 8 7
TampaBayBuccaneers NFC NFCS 5 5

LosAngelesRams NFC NFCW 14 13
SeattleSeahawks NFC NFCW 9 10
SanFrancisco49ers NFC NFCW 4 4
ArizonaCardinals NFC NFCW 2 3

@Counselor

@EaglesPeteC

@bcb1213

@DTMW78

@squire12

@RTTRUTH

@mountainpd

@samsel23

@squire12

Sorry it's taking this long to get back to you about the idea you sent containing the "myfantasyleague" website.

First off, I'm a little sad when looking over this website because my goal from back in 2001 never left the excel table.  However, I don't think football forums rules would allow us to host anything off site.  Gotta say that it looks pretty sweet though.  Is this something that you've purchased?

I think we can manage this using google docs but believe me if I had the coding knowledge or the cash to push something like this to a website, I'd invite you all to be part of it.  For now, docs is what I plan to use.    

I will say that I do like the idea of using the open auction to kick things off with this keeper league vs drafting.  Mainly because of the amount of time it would take to draft that many players.  The auction would allow us a faster roster builder hands down.  @Counselor what do you think?

Also, what do you all think about this approach.

So here is kinda what I'm thinking, as I've said before I want the main focus of this keeper league to be on the offseason.  For me, the offseason is the best part.  

So somewhere between week 15 (mid Dec) and the end of the regular season (early Jan) we conduct the auction to build our team rosters.  We'll use these created rosters and irl player stats to simulate the standings.  We'll need to work in the "call out" system that we talked about but I'd like to see the regular season matchups done in a couple weeks leaving a couple weeks in late Jan - Feb to set up the postseason, which we'll use the BDL concept of preparing a game plan and member voting to determine the playoffs.   

Once the tcmd keeper league season is over and we celebrate the super bowl winner with a poke in the eye, we'll then move into the offseason.  Which will basically be ran largely how we already manage tcmd.

Again, my goal with this is too keep the focus on the offseason and reduce the time it takes to determine the standings to about a months time.  What do you guys think?

@ny92mike

I am not sure what the issue would be with having the league hosted offsite.  There are ample fantasy leagues that are run by members and are filled with members that are run on ESPN, fleaflicker, yahoo, etc.  As long as discussion and other traffic comes through here, I see no issue in hosting the league there.

I do have a league on MFL.  I agree the google docs would house the contract info, but it could serve as a place to conduct the auction at least.

27 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@ny92mike

I am not sure what the issue would be with having the league hosted offsite.  There are ample fantasy leagues that are run by members and are filled with members that are run on ESPN, fleaflicker, yahoo, etc.  As long as discussion and other traffic comes through here, I see no issue in hosting the league there.

I do have a league on MFL.  I agree the google docs would house the contract info, but it could serve as a place to conduct the auction at least.

I'm just basing it off of what I was told a few years back, in that the heads of this site didn't want us using other websites but if others are doing it and not getting in trouble for it then I'd be happy to look into hosting the auction on the site you posted.

It would definitely make my life easier.

Edited by ny92mike

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@ny92mike

@Counselor @Forge

You guys see any issue using this as a means of conducting the auction for this keeper?  If squire is right that other members are using offsite web addresses to conduct fantasy football, we should be able to as well as long as we keep the discussion in the forum.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

@Counselor

@EaglesPeteC

@bcb1213

@DTMW78

@squire12

@RTTRUTH

@mountainpd

@samsel23

@squire12

Sorry it's taking this long to get back to you about the idea you sent containing the "myfantasyleague" website.

First off, I'm a little sad when looking over this website because my goal from back in 2001 never left the excel table.  However, I don't think football forums rules would allow us to host anything off site.  Gotta say that it looks pretty sweet though.  Is this something that you've purchased?

I think we can manage this using google docs but believe me if I had the coding knowledge or the cash to push something like this to a website, I'd invite you all to be part of it.  For now, docs is what I plan to use.    

I will say that I do like the idea of using the open auction to kick things off with this keeper league vs drafting.  Mainly because of the amount of time it would take to draft that many players.  The auction would allow us a faster roster builder hands down.  @Counselor what do you think?

Also, what do you all think about this approach.

So here is kinda what I'm thinking, as I've said before I want the main focus of this keeper league to be on the offseason.  For me, the offseason is the best part.  

So somewhere between week 15 (mid Dec) and the end of the regular season (early Jan) we conduct the auction to build our team rosters.  We'll use these created rosters and irl player stats to simulate the standings.  We'll need to work in the "call out" system that we talked about but I'd like to see the regular season matchups done in a couple weeks leaving a couple weeks in late Jan - Feb to set up the postseason, which we'll use the BDL concept of preparing a game plan and member voting to determine the playoffs.   

Once the tcmd keeper league season is over and we celebrate the super bowl winner with a poke in the eye, we'll then move into the offseason.  Which will basically be ran largely how we already manage tcmd.

Again, my goal with this is too keep the focus on the offseason and reduce the time it takes to determine the standings to about a months time.  What do you guys think?

If our favourite part is the offseason, would we be better off having our auction after the real life draft, but before the regular season begins? 

Seems to me there’s a bit more knowledge required for that. If we wait until week 15 of reg season, and wins are based on a sim, couldn’t everyone theoretically just bid on players with the highest stats? Seems like preseason might require more team building intuition. 

On the other note, I think it would be fine hosting the draft itself elsewhere, so long as all the chatter stays here.

If you guys have interest in seeing how the season is simulated you can check out the link below.

In the match up sheet, you can use the drop down to select the weekly matchup to review the irl scores vs the simulated scores.  Basically, how it works is that each stat category is graded using a correlation formula.  This is then converted into a grouping for offense and one for defense.  

So using this example of Dallas Cowboys vs Falcons in week 11.  Dallas has a offensive group grade of E and defense F where the Falcons has a C and I grouping.  Teams have a pattern of scoring relatively close to the same score when facing the same type of opponent.  In this sample,  Dallas has faced similar teams with the same grouping as the falcons 2 times with an average score of 23 pts.  The falcons have faced off against a dallas similar team 4 times averaging 19 points.  

Not every team will be exact as there are just too many variables to include when projecting the score, but the system isn't too bad, I wouldn't use it to bet against the spread.  Tried it myself it doesn't end well...haha.

I'm really going to be pushing to use this system for this keeper league.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OcBcqX1ZVhPF9eHowDNf2BQ1daD6R4IYaljuvJ_kslE/edit?usp=sharing  

Select Week Week: 11 - Dallas Cowboys @ Atlanta Falcons        

Away Team DallasCowboys       Home Team AtlantaFalcons
Team Abbr. DAL       Team Abbr. ATL
Conf. NFC       Conf. NFC
Division NFCE       Division NFCS
irl Score
      irl Score

irl Winner DallasCowboys       irl Winner  

Away Offense Group Group E       Home Offense Group Group C
Away Defense Group Group F       Home Defense Group Group I
Count 2       Count 4
Simulated Score - Away
      Simulated Score - Home

Simulated Winner DallasCowboys       Simulated Winner  
Correctly Projected 87.50%       Correctly Projected 93.75%
  23.61         24.35

Here is a sample of the system not producing a positive result.

Select Week Week: 01 - Cincinnati Bengals @ Indianapolis Colts        

Away Team CincinnatiBengals       Home Team IndianapolisColts
Team Abbr. CIN       Team Abbr. IND
Conf. AFC       Conf. AFC
Division AFCN       Division AFCS
irl Score
      irl Score

irl Winner CincinnatiBengals       irl Winner  

Away Offense Group Group H       Home Offense Group Group D
Away Defense Group Group H       Home Defense Group Group E
Count 1       Count 3
Simulated Score - Away
      Simulated Score - Home

Simulated Winner         Simulated Winner IndianapolisColts
Correctly Projected 93.75%       Correctly Projected 56.25%
  20.02         25.37

31 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

If our favourite part is the offseason, would we be better off having our auction after the real life draft, but before the regular season begins? 

Seems to me there’s a bit more knowledge required for that. If we wait until week 15 of reg season, and wins are based on a sim, couldn’t everyone theoretically just bid on players with the highest stats? Seems like preseason might require more team building intuition. 

On the other note, I think it would be fine hosting the draft itself elsewhere, so long as all the chatter stays here.

This isn’t kicking off before this season coming up so we have time to spitball all of these ideas 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

This first auction (the open bidding) is just used for the first year to build our rosters with veterans, so basically the first year we simulate the season to determine the draft order will be an all veteran roster with the exception of this years rookie class.  After we sim the first season in Jan-Feb we'll have our draft order for the offseason, basically turning it into for all accounts intended a normal tcmd offseason.  

Knowing the stats in advance doesn't really bother me much, because most people will be looking at some form of statistics when they determine if they want to bid on the player, at least for me when I'm in these mock drafts scouting trades or looking to sign free agents, stats are the first thing I'm going for.  Because we're using a salary cap and carrying at least a 70 man roster to account for season long injuries, no team in this sim is going to be able to sign all the best players.  I do see your concern but you also have to account for time, meaning how much time are we all willing to commit to this?  I personally am willing to devote the winter months to this but that's about my limit any more than that I'm burnt out.  I still plan to continue the regular tcmd so for this to work for me I need it all to fit within a 4 month window. 

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

I’m still not a fan of the auction process. But if the majority is down for it I’ll have to go along 

I'm good with a draft style too I just think it would take months to complete.  The auction style would hurry it along.