Driving up to Minny tomorrow

DalCowboyzRule

What's up guys, I come in peace. Driving up to Minneapolis tomorrow as I'll be in town for the Final Four. Wreck 'em Tech!

Anyways, reason I'm posting is to see if you guys have any advice for me as far as places to eat, things to do, etc. Gonna be busy Saturday with the games obviously but if we win I'll have Sunday off and want to see the city a little.

I read where the best way to get to U.S. Bank stadium would be to park at the Mall of America and take the light rail into downtown, accurate? My hotel room is actually in Lakeville so that kind of works as I'll be driving in that direction anyways.

What are some good late night spots to grab dinner? Our game should be over around 10 pm or so and I probably won't get out of the arena until 11. Also if there is any native foods I want to try those, I'm not even sure what Minnesota is known for but I'm sure they're known for something lol.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

What's up guys, I come in peace. Driving up to Minneapolis tomorrow as I'll be in town for the Final Four. Wreck 'em Tech!

Anyways, reason I'm posting is to see if you guys have any advice for me as far as places to eat, things to do, etc. Gonna be busy Saturday with the games obviously but if we win I'll have Sunday off and want to see the city a little.

I read where the best way to get to U.S. Bank stadium would be to park at the Mall of America and take the light rail into downtown, accurate? My hotel room is actually in Lakeville so that kind of works as I'll be driving in that direction anyways.

What are some good late night spots to grab dinner? Our game should be over around 10 pm or so and I probably won't get out of the arena until 11. Also if there is any native foods I want to try those, I'm not even sure what Minnesota is known for but I'm sure they're known for something lol.

Thanks in advance!

Others that actually live in the area currently would be able to speak to the food, but I can speak to the transportation...and yes, parking at the MOA and taking the light rail to the Stadium would be the best option, as that is what we did when we last went to the Metrodome back in 2012 or so.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Also if there is any native foods I want to try those, I'm not even sure what Minnesota is known for but I'm sure they're known for something lol.

Probably the Juicy Lucy burger.

Others will have to chime in on which one is the best.

*We've also got a lot of breweries if you're into that.

Edited by VikeManDan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Yes, if you are coming from that way, definitely park at MOA and take the light rail. Much better than parking downtown, especially with I-35 a disaster right now. Also, make a stop at the 46th St station on your way and go to Venn brewing. 

For food, my recommendation would be to go over to North Loop / Warehouse District after the game (take the light rail to the Target Field station and walk north 2 blocks). Red Rabbit, Spoon & Stable, Freehouse and Bar La Grassa are all right there. For cocktails go to Parlour. Freehouse would probably be your best bet for late night food; I'm not sure how late the other places are open.

• Like 2

If you are coming up from Lakeville on Sunday,, I'd say either go over to St. Paul or to the Lake Harriet area.

Martina, TERZO and Pizzeria Lola are all just off Lake Harriet and are phenomenal. St. Paul has just about everything. 

If you want to talk about breweries, that is a whole different discussion. 

• Like 1

I have always been told to not park at the Mall but the parking lot at the next stop (28th Ave Park & Ride).  When I have done this it has worked out well for me. Not sure what kind of enforcement there is at the mall but I was told that you are not supposed to park there to take the choo choo.  Maybe that is hogwash. I didn't test it.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

I have always been told to not park at the Mall but the parking lot at the next stop (28th Ave Park & Ride).  When I have done this it has worked out well for me. Not sure what kind of enforcement there is at the mall but I was told that you are not supposed to park there to take the choo choo.  Maybe that is hogwash. I didn't test it.

It's hogwash.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

For food, my recommendation would be to go over to North Loop / Warehouse District after the game (take the light rail to the Target Field station and walk north 2 blocks). Red Rabbit, Spoon & Stable, Freehouse and Bar La Grassa are all right there. For cocktails go to Parlour. Freehouse would probably be your best bet for late night food; I'm not sure how late the other places are open.

jeez man, ask me out!

• Like 1

The Surly Brewery is outstanding. Some of the best beer around, and the food is also excellent. It fills up, but it's worth the wait. 

Matt's Bar has the best Juicy Lucy in town. (Hamburger stuffed with cheese).

Zumbro Cafe has great breakfast. 

If you're looking for a great free activity, the Minneapolis Institute of Art is world class. It's seriously great, and I'm not a museum/art kind of guy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I prefer the 28th Ave station because it's easier to get in and out of it than the MoA parking ramp, it can get a bit conjested. 

• Like 3