A Philosophical Examination of the Sport Mind (Buncha Jerks Cost Us Rings)

incognito_man

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While possible, there was a lot of smoke to this low ball offer rumor.

Yup. It's whatever makes sense to you. I can see this being speculation by a reporter that gains traction because of an inherent distrust of the current management structure. But that's just what makes the most sense to me.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Yup. It's whatever makes sense to you. I can see this being speculation by a reporter that gains traction because of an inherent distrust of the current management structure. But that's just what makes the most sense to me.

I just don't see why Rizzi would burn a bridge like that. If he got the offer from NOLA, why make up the low-ball offer? Just say, "I have to do what's right for my career and my family."

Makes no sense unless he was mad thinking he got jerked around.

Even from the article, the side that says the Packers didn't make the low-ball offer throws in a caveat. "We made the offer before he left the building".

That's what a used car salesman says when he has to explain to his manager why he started chasing you when you got up and left his desk for the door.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't see why Rizzi would burn a bridge like that. If he got the offer from NOLA, why make up the low-ball offer? Just say, "I have to do what's right for my career and my family."

Makes no sense unless he was mad thinking he got jerked around.

Even from the article, the side that says the Packers didn't make the low-ball offer throws in a caveat. "We made the offer before he left the building".

That's what a used car salesman says when he has to explain to his manager why he started chasing you when you got up and left his desk for the door.

Did I miss something that Rizzi says he was low-balled? 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who the hell else is leaking these stories if not Rizzi or his agent?

A hell of a difference between believing where there's smoke there's fire and believing that Rizzi and his agent are leaking stuff to Green Bay media about being low balled for some unknown purpose.

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who the hell else is leaking these stories if not Rizzi or his agent?

It doesn't make any sense that Rizzi or his agent would be all like "yeah they didn't meet our price right away, but a couple days later they did."

If that is the case they have no incentive to leak anything.

I think the (dumb name) "3 silos" is great.

Just view Mark Murphy as the outdated "GM" role. He's probably among the most qualified men in the league. Then, as a bonus, he has 2 lieutenants under him that handle very different branches of the organization.

It's like having a legal VP, an HR guru and a president with a 100,000 ft view (and deep knowledge of the industry). 

Don't get the angst whatsoever over the organization. Article should have been titled "The Wolf's Pseudo- Anonymous Butthurt Take on GB"

• Like 4

Haha good call on the Wolf thing.  Agree with everything above.  Industries/organizations/companies have to rethink and evolve the way they operate all the time.  How many businesses are structured today the same way they were 20 years ago?  Jesus.

Not sure exactly how I feel about Murphy, and the results on the field will render the final verdict on the decision making, but all the structural concern and stress is a massive eye-roll, IMHO.

Edited by nickel
Spelling

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It doesn't make any sense that Rizzi or his agent would be all like "yeah they didn't meet our price right away, but a couple days later they did."

If that is the case they have no incentive to leak anything.

I think the (dumb name) "3 silos" is great.

Just view Mark Murphy as the outdated "GM" role. He's probably among the most qualified men in the league. Then, as a bonus, he has 2 lieutenants under him that handle very different branches of the organization.

It's like having a legal VP, an HR guru and a president with a 100,000 ft view (and deep knowledge of the industry). 

Don't get the angst whatsoever over the organization. Article should have been titled "The Wolf's Pseudo- Anonymous Butthurt Take on GB"

I don't think they leaked the part about "a few days later, they did". 

I think the Packers leaked that as damage control.

I don't consider Murphy qualified to be doing the GM role at all, no scouting experience and realistically no cap experience either, which is fine, because that's not what he's doing. He's the team president at this point, but has a firmer grip on the controls. Whether we should be happy about that point is probably worth discussing. Personally I'd rather have Gutekunst running football operations with Ball assisting as cap expert and LaFleur running the day to day on field product. 

Just because Murphy is socially awkward and looks like Howdy Doody, doesn't mean he's stupid. It's too bad he had to be the one to stand up for himself and blow his own horn, but he was right in doing so. Do your research before you judge that book by it's cover. 

I still believe Gute pretty much has what Wolf had. The structure means that Murphy can help out with things like interviews, etc that Gute has yet to deal with. I think Ball had his chance when TT needed to give up some responsibilities, and he was exposed as a $ guy only. At the end of the day, there are just a few more checks and balances in place to prevent what happened in the recent past. As long as you have solid people in place, which I believe we do, there is zero to worry about. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Personally I'd rather have Gutekunst running football operations with Ball assisting as cap expert and LaFleur running the day to day on field product. 

Specifically, what duties do you wish Gute had control over that he does not? And why?

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Specifically, what duties do you wish Gute had control over that he does not? And why?

Gute is perfect for the role he has. If we had Ted doing Ball's role with worrying about medical staff, training staff, team travels, etc... that's way too much. Keep Brian scouting for talent and that's his only and sole focus.

My only issue with that article is if LaFleur truly wanted Campen and Whitt on his staff but Ball made us get rid of them due to his McCarthy grudge that's a massive red flag and shows that Murphy is a poor leader if he sided with Ball. LaFleur should've had 100% no questions asked authority of his coaching staff like Gute should have over his FAs and picks. The ONLY time Ball should have any say is if there is a financial red flag. 

Ball is the only aspect of this structure I'm concerned about. We essentially gave him a raise and threw him some more lame responsibilities his way to make up for the fact he didn't get the job he wanted. As good as he is at his job, if he feels the need to assert his nose into what Gute and LaFleur do because it's power he wanted, he needs to be fired, and if Murphy allows it to happen he needs to go too.

I have no problems with the structure and think it's a lot to do about nothing. The only thing I see that could destroy it is Ball becoming power hungry and forcibly trying to expand his role and Murphy doing nothing about it because they're buddies. Brian and Matt are the future of this organization and I think they are the right men in place for it. Ball and Murphy need to step aside now.

• Like 1