A Philosophical Examination of the Sport Mind (Buncha Jerks Cost Us Rings)

incognito_man

58 minutes ago, Norm said:

People who don't like Ted won't want to hear this, but it's entirely possible his drafting and letting certain guys walk wasn't him losing his mind, it was others in the building taking over more of a role. Kinda scary

Ted was giving up background work because he didn't have as much time to dedicate, I highly doubt he gave up final say however. 

The Kevin King/TJ Watt scenario would be a fascinating one to hear from a source. I'm sure that was a heated room that night.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Because the rumors do seem to connect the dots. Ball is good with negotiating contracts, but that's about it. The rest was hashed out months ago, but I definitely believe Ball had some GM duties when TT 's issues began and that's why we don't have Hayward, Hyde, among other things

That's wasnt the case at all

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

So why don't you want him in charge of the medical staff? Or operations/logistics staff, etc?

I guess I don't have an opinion either way.  I just know he seems pretty good at contracts

Edited by cannondale

29 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I'm sure not, but like I said - believe what you like. I believe the guy with the inside info.

What has Nagler actually reported that has been accurate/breaking in the past that gives me credit? Honestly have no idea. Always thought of him as just a really enthusiastic fan with a keyboard and some time.

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What has Nagler actually reported that has been accurate/breaking in the past that gives me credit? Honestly have no idea. Always thought of him as just a really enthusiastic fan with a keyboard and some time.

Well I'm a pretty skeptical guy by nature. I've watched his chats for something to do. The quality is directly related to the fans asking questions so it can be brutal, but I watch anyway. He doesn't offer up much, you can tell he holds back some things. But on more than one occasion he has mentioned in passing Ball having some GM type duties to fill in for TT and mentioned Hyde, Hayward, and Peppers not returning because of Ball. Like I've said numerous times, take it for what it's worth, but just the way he presented it, I believe him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Well I'm a pretty skeptical guy by nature. I've watched his chats for something to do. The quality is directly related to the fans asking questions so it can be brutal, but I watch anyway. He doesn't offer up much, you can tell he holds back some things. But on more than one occasion he has mentioned in passing Ball having some GM type duties to fill in for TT and mentioned Hyde, Hayward, and Peppers not returning because of Ball. Like I've said numerous times, take it for what it's worth, but just the way he presented it, I believe him.

While possible, I don’t put a lot of stock in a statement like that, as it seems something that could easily be from conjecture even if stated otherwise. I’ve seen fans arrive at similar speculation independent of Nagler. It usually seems to be some sort of hindsight bias in an effort to use as a club against TT or some other scapegoat.

None of those 3 guys were shoe-ins to return. The only slightly surprising one was Hayward, but even with that, there were some times he struggled at boundary CB in his final year in GB. With Randall/Rollins showing decent rookie campaigns, not to mention Hyde still on the roster, there was no apparent need to spend that money on him if they felt he couldn’t play outside. The organization has let other guys walk that they usually wouldn’t (Tretter), if there happened to be other Packers still under contract that could fill the role.

Nagler has not really impressed me with his previous work either.

I don't know how much impact Russ Ball has on things that directly impact the football team, outside of contract negotiation.  Maybe he had more control of football matters than I would like in the later TT years, I am not in a position to know.

What isn't a bad thing (imo) is him handling much of the executive work that isn't directly football related, things to do with the stadium, advertising, franchises, buildings, leasing, staff (not player) training, etc etc, the endless details that flow around running something as big as the Packers franchise. The more he does that, the more Gutekunst can concentrate on pure football matters. 

Whether he would be satisfied in that kind of defined role, is arguable. I'd guess he is pretty ambitious, which is often a big factor in hard workers. I'm guessing, given everything I've heard, that his goal is to be GM in control of everything. That may mean he will leave GB to be a GM elsewhere, as many others have done, like McKenzie, Schneider, Dorsey (and maybe Eliot Wolf in the future).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive