Browns release Joe Haden, signed by Steelers 3/$27m

Cheesehead430

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:

After watching the New England game last year, I would think that Pittsburgh would have drafted about 4-5 new DB's. It was that bad.

If you really watch it, though....on top of past debacles against the Pats, you would know that the talent issue is only a part of the reason, and not even the biggest part.

The biggest issue is the same issue we have been having for the past 10 years vs Tom and Bill....we play them WAY too conservative.    We play soft zone, off man.    We show absolutely no aggressiveness in trying to attack him in fear that he will burn us (which he does anyway) and we dont try to jam his WRs at the line to throw off the timing, which their offense is reliant on.  

If you dont rattle Tom, give him all day to throw and let his WRs run around with 5-10 yards of cushion all game, it wouldnt matter if you had Seattle's secondary talent....its not going to work.

Thats why Steeler fans have been pushing for years for us to play more press coverage and improve our interior pass rush.....but no....they want to use the same gameplan vs the Pats year after freaking year.   

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Because we watched him play, both this season and the rest of his career, most of us Browns fans literally every game he's ever played.

What you don't understand is why we don't agree with you, and YOUR assessment, which is different than pretty much every unbiased evaluation on the guy, such as PFF too fwiw.

And numbers may somewhat subjective, but not THAT subjective.  When teams have consistently had great numbers when throwing in the direction of a particular player over the last 2+ seasons, perhaps those numbers are more accurate than you'd like to believe.

As far as him being an upgrade, perhaps he is (idk, I don't watch every Steelers game) but that doesn't make him good, simply less bad than the previous guy.

Again, 2 games against the Browns and Vikings sans Bradford isn't changing my mind on anything (despite numbers indicating he was bad), get back to me after another 8-10 games.

Steeler fans are cautiously optimistic about him.   No one is trying to make him out to be something he isnt.    None of us expect him to be great.  He just has to be better than what we have had at starter in past years....which was guys like Ross Cockrell, William Gay and Antwon Blake.      If you dont think he is an upgrade over them, you either have no business discussing the matter or you are too bias to objectively do so.

And youre right, him being better than them doesnt make him good.....and his first two games shouldnt change anyones minds.....but its pretty clear that many Browns fans are just bitter and hating on him because he signed with the Steelers.   And no, Im not saying that because some of you are saying he hasnt been good in recent memory....Im saying that because many of you seem to get upset at the mere thought he might actually be solid for us.

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Steeler fans are cautiously optimistic about him.   No one is trying to make him out to be something he isnt.    None of us expect him to be great.  He just has to be better than what we have had at starter in past years....which was guys like Ross Cockrell, William Gay and Antwon Blake.      If you dont think he is an upgrade over them, you either have no business discussing the matter or you are too bias to objectively do so.

And youre right, him being better than them doesnt make him good.....and his first two games shouldnt change anyones minds.....but its pretty clear that many Browns fans are just bitter and hating on him because he signed with the Steelers.   And no, Im not saying that because some of you are saying he hasnt been good in recent memory....Im saying that because many of you seem to get upset at the mere thought he might actually be solid for us.

Time will tell.

Who's upset?

Perhaps some folks are bitter, I have no clue, but I know that I'm not and there are others who aren't concerned that he signed with the Steelers.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:03 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Most Yards Allowed Among Cornerbacks in Week 1 1. Joe Haden (109) 2. Jalen Mills (108) 3. Eli Apple (99) 4. Terrance Mitchell (96)

Among all 78 CBs >999 snaps (2014-2016) Joe Haden ranks:

PFF Grade: 8th-worst
Passer Rating: 3rd-worst
PPR/Tgt: 2nd-worst
PPR/Route: worst.

He was also this close Sunday to giving up another 35 yards and a TD.

DJc23nqVwAEiTGg.jpg

Here's the problem - this play wasn't on Haden. You can see the safety there late coming over the top. The one who bit on an inside route in cover 2 man? Haden played that the way he's supposed to play it.

17 minutes ago, killin' it like ki7er said:

After two games Haden is the 83rd ranked CB out of 100 per pff, with a 43.1 grade, and one of those games he went against our super-green rookie QB and a pile of **** receivers. The other game was against Keenum. 

Inb4 people scoff at pff because it doesn't fit the narrative they want.

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Inb4 people scoff at pff because it doesn't fit the narrative they want.

PFF is an opinion based rating system, It has inherrent flaws like anything based on "opinions" of a play. 

But Joe Haden suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. 

PFF allows fans to feel like they have objective numbers to ground their opinions.

I'm watching Haden as a Steelers fan and I'm fairly happy with what I've seen thus far with the obvious issue being they played two weak passing games. Nothing so far shows whether he or the defense can hold up for what they really need. He's a smart and physical CB with good technique. He's doing well in the Steelers system thus far, and they're actually using him as the top CB on the left side of the defense.

Archived