Browns release Joe Haden, signed by Steelers 3/$27m

Cheesehead430

24 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I can never take PFF seriously when they once had Willie Colon as the best pass blocking tackle in the NFL over a 3 year stretch...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/three-year-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-linemen

They do throw out some bizarrrrrrrre stuff. You can't completely dismiss them but you definitely can't take them as gospel. There's also an arrogance about that company that I can't put my finger on. All in all though, analytics aren't going anywhere. They will become a bigger and bigger presences as time goes by. 

On 9/20/2017 at 5:57 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, I agree it's not perfect, but it's one of the better, unbiased, methods available for fans to find out who's doing what.

PFF is garbage. Dudes are doing guess work. I still remember writing a disertation to them on Cover 2 vs Cover 4 with an entire coaching staff providing quotes as to what certain coverages were on TD passes and they argued until they were blue in the fact that the coverage was Cover 2 despite it not being so.

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

PFF is garbage. Dudes are doing guess work. I still remember writing a disertation to them on Cover 2 vs Cover 4 with an entire coaching staff providing quotes as to what certain coverages were on TD passes and they argued until they were blue in the fact that the coverage was Cover 2 despite it not being so.

Garbage? Eh, I disagree, it's not the gospel, just another "tool". A tool that, iirc, some NFL teams actually use (as opposed to emphatically stated opinions of FF posters).

Their grades mimic the stats against (in Haden's case) which coincide with what I've seen from Haden over the last however many seasons. If someone has another metric or rating who shows his play in a positive light I'd be happy to read it.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Garbage? Eh, I disagree, it's not the gospel, just another "tool". A tool that, iirc, some NFL teams actually use (as opposed to emphatically stated opinions of FF posters).

Their grades mimic the stats against (in Haden's case) which coincide with what I've seen from Haden over the last however many seasons. If someone has another metric or rating who shows his play in a positive light I'd be happy to read it.

I think there is a fine line between a bad CB and a decent CB. I think Haden is still decent. If he was half a step quicker he would be good (about what he has lost). He usually is just a half step away from being able to make a play so the QB has to be accurate to beat him. There are some corners who just flat out get burnt regularly. Haden likely isn't going to improve on what he is now though, he does everything pretty well except run which means as he loses footspeed he will go from a decent option to unplayable. He will look terrible against the quick guys but even in his heyday he didn't do well against that type. Line him up against AJ Green/Calvin Johnson and he will usually earn his paycheck.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think there is a fine line between a bad CB and a decent CB. I think Haden is still decent. If he was half a step quicker he would be good (about what he has lost). He usually is just a half step away from being able to make a play so the QB has to be accurate to beat him. There are some corners who just flat out get burnt regularly. Haden likely isn't going to improve on what he is now though, he does everything pretty well except run which means as he loses footspeed he will go from a decent option to unplayable. He will look terrible against the quick guys but even in his heyday he didn't do well against that type. Line him up against AJ Green/Calvin Johnson and he will usually earn his paycheck.

Maybe.

Green has had 17 receptions for 350 yards and a coupe TD's in the last two seasons against the Browns (3 games) but don't recall how much of those games he was covered by Haden. 

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe.

Green has had 17 receptions for 350 yards and a coupe TD's in the last two seasons against the Browns (3 games) but don't recall how much of those games he was covered by Haden. 

The only game Haden played against the Bengals the last two years was the game that Green missed so 0 of those yards came against Haden which brings us to another issue with Haden, he has become more injury prone as he has aged.

Archived