Browns release Joe Haden, signed by Steelers 3/$27m

Cheesehead430

I'll miss Haden. He's been one of my favorite players on the Browns. With that said, he's very much a shell of his former self. Still, I'm not sure I agree with releasing him. It's not like the other corners on our roster are likely to be any better than Haden.

Rumors are New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Kansas City have interest.

Per the Miami Herald the Dolphins are also in the mix.

Haden's contract had offset language which means he's making a minimum of $4m this year no matter what contract he signs.

I imagine a majority of non-Browns fans haven't watched the team in many years given their lack of remotely resembling a real NFL team, so I can only assume a lot of the enthusiasm at signing him is based on his production from 3 or 4 years ago and now it's simply the name recognition aspect + their own desperation to upgrade their secondary this late in the pre-season. While I don't think he's trash or deserves to be booted from the league, I do think the fanbase that does end up landing him will be pretty disappointed when they realize he's not the savior (even as a 3rd CB) they were hoping for and CB is still a need. 

9 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

"Two teams expected to have strong interest in Joe Haden are the Saints and Chiefs."

"#Chiefs have made contact with Joe Haden reps. Money a concern for team with cap limitations. #NFL"

Well, the second part of that that will certainly be an issue for Haden.  Like Revis (to draw additional similarities), Haden's contract had offset language.  So, for Haden to make any additional money playing football this year, he would need a contract exceeding four million dollars. 

3 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Id like him on the titans to replace Brice McCain as our 4th CB. He would be a nice vet in that room.  

Would you want to pay a 4th corner over $4 million per year? That's what you'd owe him to sign him due to his offset language in his contract. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Would you want to pay a 4th corner over $4 million per year? That's what you'd owe him to sign him due to his offset language in his contract. 

Per year? Wouldn't it just be for this year? A little confused about this. And either way not really lol BUT Have you seen how bad Brice McCain is? xD

2 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Per year? Wouldn't it just be for this year? A little confused about this. And either way not really lol BUT Have you seen how bad Brice McCain is? xD

Correct, just this year. I'm assuming he signs a 1 year deal, maybe a 2 year max. Serious question: Have you watched Joe Haden play the last 2 years?

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's not how it works. If Haden signs for $5m, the Browns cover $4m of it. Browns are on the hook for $4m regardless of the contract Haden signs.

Archived