Browns release Joe Haden, signed by Steelers 3/$27m

Cheesehead430

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Correct, just this year. I'm assuming he signs a 1 year deal, maybe a 2 year max. Serious question: Have you watched Joe Haden play the last 2 years?

I've watched 7 Browns games over the last two years I would say so not that much

Schefter is reporting that the Steelers are the favorites to sign him. I could see the appeal for Haden. I'm mixed on this. He's only 28, but I never thought he was as good as the hype put on him. He was never actually dominant. Injuries the last few years probably make him look worse than he is. Bad defense and just an awful situation in Cleveland with constant change. Steelers CB situation is not good at the moment, but if Haden can be a good #2 across from Burns the Steelers have enough guys competing at the slot to where I'd have way more hope.

2 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

I've watched 7 Browns games over the last two years I would say so not that much

He's a shell of his former self. IMO, he never had elite athleticism but made up for it with solid technique and physicality for his size. Now that injuries have taken their toll, he's extremely slow, not very fluid, and his best chance of being successful is moving to FS or perhaps in the slot. He's not an outside corner anymore in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Schefter is reporting that the Steelers are the favorites to sign him. I could see the appeal for Haden. I'm mixed on this. He's only 28, but I never thought he was as good as the hype put on him. He was never actually dominant. Injuries the last few years probably make him look worse than he is. Bad defense and just an awful situation in Cleveland with constant change. Steelers CB situation is not good at the moment, but if Haden can be a good #2 across from Burns the Steelers have enough guys competing at the slot to where I'd have way more hope.

I think it depends on the cost to get him. If you're signing him to a very reasonable 1 or 2 year deal with low guarantees overall, there's nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. Its worth the shot. 

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's a shell of his former self. IMO, he never had elite athleticism but made up for it with solid technique and physicality for his size. Now that injuries have taken their toll, he's extremely slow, not very fluid, and his best chance of being successful is moving to FS or perhaps in the slot. He's not an outside corner anymore in my opinion. 

I don't see why I'm moving a guy like that to the slot unless I'm matching him up on the rare bigger slot players teams have/TE's. I'm not convinced injuries have really sapped this guy. He's 28. And for a team hoping to compete for a championship, it's worth the risk. I look at what the Pats did milking the last bit out of Revis/Browner. Haden has more left than either of those guys.

A smart team should be able to take a guy like Haden and get more out of him than the Browns the last few seasons. You use him correctly and smartly, there's ability there. He's a definite upgrade over Ross Cockrell and he'd be taken on a reduced role from what he was asked to do in Cleveland while suiting the schematic changes the Steelers say they are interested in making.

14 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

That's not how it works. If Haden signs for $5m, the Browns cover $4m of it. Browns are on the hook for $4m regardless of the contract Haden signs.

I'm almost positive that's how that works. We pay him THIS year no matter what, but then whoever signs him would then have to reimburse us NEXT year I believe. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure.

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't see why I'm moving a guy like that to the slot unless I'm matching him up on the rare bigger slot players teams have/TE's. I'm not convinced injuries have really sapped this guy. He's 28. And for a team hoping to compete for a championship, it's worth the risk. I look at what the Pats did milking the last bit out of Revis/Browner. Haden has more left than either of those guys.

A smart team should be able to take a guy like Haden and get more out of him than the Browns the last few seasons. You use him correctly and smartly, there's ability there. He's a definite upgrade over Ross Cockrell and he'd be taken on a reduced role from what he was asked to do in Cleveland while suiting the schematic changes the Steelers say they are interested in making.

I honestly refuse to think you actually believe this after watching Joe Haden attempt to defend Antonio Brown the last ___________ times the Browns have played the Steelers. And I'm 100% serious.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm almost positive that's how that works. We pay him THIS year no matter what, but then whoever signs him would then have to reimburse us NEXT year I believe. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure.

I can't find this anywhere online if true. I've never heard of an offset clause working that way.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He was released so the Browns pay the remaining signing bonus spread over 2 seasons and that is it. 

I've already said I always thought he was overrated, but outside a few guys in the league, no one can cover Brown the way Haden was being asked to do so.

Ross Cockrell is a guy who has to give 10 yard cushions because he's so slow on top of just being a kind of soft player (poor tackler, cannot jam/disrupt). I'm looking at Haden to fill a similar role to 2014 Browner who was 2 years older and I'd wager a few steps slower. Browner looked awful in the two years wedged between that one, too. The Steelers coaches are far from perfect, but they know how to limit the weaknesses of their defensive players for the most part. Especially DB's.

Just now, jebrick said:

He was released so the Browns pay the remaining signing bonus spread over 2 seasons and that is it. 

Ahhh, that makes sense. My bad then @cddolphin. I mess up and thought the 2nd year was paid by whoever signed him, not the team that released him.

When Antoine Winfield was slowing down and near the end of his career, he played NB and never went beyond 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. When he was challenged deep, he got burnt. This was in zone coverage.

Given a limited role, Haden could still be effective, right?

Archived