Jets reveal new uniforms

bomont

Helmet:
-The main positive is the color change. As great as the throwbacks were, they lost their luster during this decade. I largely attribute it to the tone of green, which had darkened significantly since the days of Namath and became a Forest Tone. A dark tone. Dark tones, unless properly supplemented by a contrasting color or bolstered by a kind of dominant tradition(think Penn State) will tend to look uninspiring and drab. Even the white of the throwbacks eventually failed to properly compliment the Forest tone. This is a more deep kelly type of green, which comes out much better.
-Sadly, the white helmet is replaced, going back to the 80's-90's look that was honestly rather ho-hum as far as designs go. The logo is a step up from the old Jets design of that era, but is honestly no better than the 'Giants' lettering their in-stadium counterparts wore around that same time.
-The black facemask fits a little better than gray or green, I will admit. Facemasks are good for contrast. White might've been better though.

Jersey:
-I'm not terribly offended at the difference between the Helmet color and the Jersey color. I sincerely doubt you're going to find a fabric that jumps off the page like the helmet paint would.
-The biggest peeves are the frills. The shoulder swoosh nags at me because the NOB cuts the back end, leaving an asymmetric look(Cleveland has the same exact problem). The New York text is redundant, but so is all jersey text. Thankfully, that's the extent of the bells and whistles.
-I do like the accenting on the numbers. I believe this was done during the nadir(I believe that means low point?) of the Jets, during the despicable Kotite years before the switch to the throwbacks. Regardless, it works to add a little more to the uniform.
-NOB is now text-standard. I thought the throwback text turned into a font you would see in the old west and looked a bit out of place for a New York outfit(looks okay on Dallas though).

Pants:
-Rudimentary. Even the wing-tip striping isn't much to speak of- thankfully it's not attached to the jersey by way of lousy side-piping. The good part is the organization seems set on making the Jersey-Pant combo properly contrasted; White pants for green shirts, green pants for white shirts. No promises though; they'll probably try an all-green look for sure, and maybe a boring battle white look for especially hot days in the south(if their opponents don't do so first). I have no qualms with the former, but the latter is yawn-inducing.

Black Outfit:
-Would've gone better with green pants, but that's the OCD Symmetry coming out of my brain. It's not the eyesore that that San Fran black look was. And the Green accenting jumps out a little better than something like a red or a blue. Even so, it's a mild disappointment.

All in all, I would've just gone for a color tone change in the throwbacks, but I'm rather conservative when it comes to innovation.

Archived