Browns sign S Morgan to 2yr deal and plan to sign QB Gilbert (from AAF)

buno67

I want nothing to do with Garrett Gilbert as he has and always had a slow mental trigger, you can see him processing w/ panic at times, and doesn't make quality decisions.

I see him as a camp arm for now that we'll likely upgrade via the draft.

There is the Lake Travis, Texas connection between the two so hopefully they can have a good working relationship or a good competitive rivalry that pushes Baker in the event that Gilbert sticks around.

Burnett was a slight problem child in Pittsburgh.  He whined about playing dime LB, and that's supposedly why he asked for his release.  Don't know if it was the team telling him one thing and then doing another or what.

Either way, he was decent when he played.  If he stays healthy, this is an ok signing.

Burnett is competent as a safety option. Probably average at best, but every team has some of those guys. This at least eliminates some sense of urgency for a rookie SS at 49 and opens things up for sticking to BPA and still targeting a safety as the board permits. Hopefully a 1-year deal. 

Gilbert is bad. Possible #3 and likely a camp arm. No problem there, no excitement either. 

Burnett is rock solid. He's not great, but he's what we need in the back end. A solid tackler that doesn't get roasted in coverage. His athleticism has gone by the wayside recently, but it'd be doing him a major injustice to say he's NOT still athletic. He just isn't capable of being an elite safety because of athletic limitations now.

I think this move does eliminate SS from our draft needs. It doesn't mean we won't draft one, but Burnett is most certainly good enough to be a starter in this league.

I'm changing my leader in the clubhouse pick from Taylor Rapp (R2) to Nasir Adderley (R2). Adderley would play #2 CB in our zone-heavy scheme and if we can't extend Randall, he could move back to FS depending on what we do at the position in the future. @MSURacerDT55 turned me on to Adderley and I was shocked at what I saw on tape. He's a freaking stud and my new favorite 2nd round prospect. He'll probably be gone.

One other thing to consider when looking at his season last year in Pittsburgh. He suffered a groin injury early on. For anyone who has had those, you know those mothers take forever to heal. Every time you make a sudden jerky movement - you get reminded that your groin got pulled recently. More than anything - that injury is in your head. And you CANNOT be thinking and then playing.

Fully healthy again - I like this signing.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/browns-plan-to-sign-safety-morgan-burnett-today.html

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

I want nothing to do with Garrett Gilbert as he has and always had a slow mental trigger, you can see him processing w/ panic at times, and doesn't make quality decisions.

I see him as a camp arm for now that we'll likely upgrade via the draft.

There is the Lake Travis, Texas connection between the two so hopefully they can have a good working relationship or a good competitive rivalry that pushes Baker in the event that Gilbert sticks around.

you also said baker mayfields anticipation was lacking so..

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s likely just a camp arm imo.

Well prior to the AAF he had thrown 3 passes in the NFL. AAF gave him a chance to show case himself. I think he showed enough that he is more than just a camp arm

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If only they threw passes during nfl practices.

Practice situations and game situations is Hell of a lot different. 

Also playing under Spurrior and playing in his fun and gun system will prolly benefit him a little with Monken with his air raid style concepts he will be being in. 

I’m great with a two year. At worst he’d be depth next year. 

The way John Dorsey puts someone at every position so we can go bpa is so awesome. 

Im definitely a fan of keeping FA first over draft with Dorsey he’s putting on a clinic 

Archived