Browns cut Haden

Makaer

33 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Exactly. My guess is he ends up a Cowboy.

I thought this too until I heard the Steelers are a major player here. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just signing a deal with them as I post this. I don't think New England will make a play on him. He'd be coming in as a depth player for them and given his age and skill set, he'd be playing behind Butler and Gilmore. I can't see him going there when he can start for a team that needs a piece like him to challenge the Patriots.

51 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Or maybe I don't know anything about him since he's a Brown and who watches Browns games anymore? 

I can say as someone who lives in Cleveland, I listened to sports radio this morning and Cleveland fans are mixed on his release, some say they are fine because his play has dipped the past few seasons, others wanted to keep him. Cleveland talking heads seem to think he was the 3rd best CB on the team right now behind McCourty and Boddy-Calhoun, in terms of play on the field. 

Personally, the reason why I was behind a Haden signing is because I think a change of scenery will rejuvenate him. I think he would thrive here. Heck, even Woodson and Peppers had big years with GB following lesser years at their previous employer, Woodson especially. I think the fact that Haden, who has never played for a team with a winning season, would be coming to a contender would milk the absolute best from him. Looks like Pittsburgh is the favorite to land him so we will see if I'm correct. 

"He looked like his old superstar self in the first few weeks of last season, but then injuries set in and his play deteriorated. Haden is only 28; if he’s healthy, he can shadow No. 1 receivers. The corners around Haden could be hit or miss"

Some opinion on haden from SI.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Damn, I could have lived with this all day. Instead of getting Haden for a 3rd-4th, we'll probably end up with Kyrie Thornton's twin with that pick in next year's draft. 

"Hey. The Packers should have given up a 4th (which can be a 3rd if they play him) for a dude that will be cut in late August."

Just now, packfanfb said:

Damn, I could have lived with this all day. Instead of getting Haden for a 3rd-4th, we'll probably end up with Kyrie Thornton's twin with that pick in next year's draft. 

Lol.  Or it could have been Dean Lowry, David Bakhtiari, J.C. Tretter, Mike Daniels, Davon House, Morgan Burnett, Ty Montgomery, TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Jonathan Franklin, Jermichael Finley or James Jones.

I swear the one thing that pisses me off more than any incessant complaint other than AJ Hawk in here is the complaints of Thompson's third/fourth round picks. 

Other than this year, Thompson has had 29 3rd or 4th round picks.  I just listed 14 picks in the third/fourth round.  No team is hitting as consistently as that in the third/fourth round, and I'm probably missing at least one, which would put Thompson at a 50% hit rate IN THE THIRD/FOURTH ROUND.

@packfanfb, I am right now officially challenging you to find any team in the past 40 years of the NFL that has a 14/29 hit rate in the third/fourth rounds. 

It is so juvenile, childish, narrow minded and petulant to complain about Thompson's third/fourth round picks and him not using them to trade for 28-year-old corners and pay 11 million dollars to them in a year after we just signed one and spent our first pick on. 

Consider this an ongoing challenge because it's ridiculous your complaint.  Either find me a team that's had a better success rate in the third/fourth rounds of the draft in the past 40 years or concede that your complaint is really, really, really, really, really wrong or I'll keep challenging you until you're sick of the notifications or turn them off (just kidding, I won't do that since it's against the new rules, but I'll remind you from time to time). 

38 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  Or it could have been Dean Lowry, David Bakhtiari, J.C. Tretter, Mike Daniels, Davon House, Morgan Burnett, Ty Montgomery, TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Jonathan Franklin, Jermichael Finley or James Jones.

I swear the one thing that pisses me off more than any incessant complaint other than AJ Hawk in here is the complaints of Thompson's third/fourth round picks. 

Other than this year, Thompson has had 29 3rd or 4th round picks.  I just listed 14 picks in the third/fourth round.  No team is hitting as consistently as that in the third/fourth round, and I'm probably missing at least one, which would put Thompson at a 50% hit rate IN THE THIRD/FOURTH ROUND.

@packfanfb, I am right now officially challenging you to find any team in the past 40 years of the NFL that has a 14/29 hit rate in the third/fourth rounds. 

It is so juvenile, childish, narrow minded and petulant to complain about Thompson's third/fourth round picks and him not using them to trade for 28-year-old corners and pay 11 million dollars to them in a year after we just signed one and spent our first pick on. 

Consider this an ongoing challenge because it's ridiculous your complaint.  Either find me a team that's had a better success rate in the third/fourth rounds of the draft in the past 40 years or concede that your complaint is really, really, really, really, really wrong or I'll keep challenging you until you're sick of the notifications or turn them off (just kidding, I won't do that since it's against the new rules, but I'll remind you from time to time). 

Thanks for challenging me, I feel complete now. I don't know that TT's "record" is regarding 3rd-4th round picks, nor do I care because if he hit on 100% of them in the past, it wouldn't change the fact that when you're a SB ready team and a player is available to give you that extra edge, today, you take it even if it means giving up a mid-round pick in next year's draft. If you don't feel that way about the player, don't make the trade, simple. I happen to believe Haden would be that type of player for us. I'd put him above House and feel he'd be our No. 1 corner the first day he stepped on the field. The dip in his play the last two years has been attributed to injury, and since we use that excuse for our own players (i.e. Randall and Rollins), there's no reason to say Haden, if healthy, wouldn't play a very high level. So I'd trade a 4th round pick for him any day of the week even if it became a 3rd. I could live without the 3rd round pick come May 2018, especially in light of the fact that we have about 11 picks next year, including probably a 3rd round comp. for Lang. So am I willing to lose one of those picks for a guy like Haden, without question, especially if the Browns are eating $4 million of his salary so you're actually paying him about $6-7 million, not $11 million, which is less than what we would be paying a healthy Sam Shields right now. Well worth the gamble when No. 12 is your QB. 

BTW, you had a good run going there with names like Bak, Lang, Sitton, Daniels, etc, but don't ruin the argument by trying to oversell it with JAGs like Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez. When you mention a name like Martinez, you're just making my point that we could have Haden instead of him....if only. 

P.P.S. In the middle of me writing this post, we signed Ahmad Brooks. You're Welcome. 

Lol-worthy distraction and misdirection.

@packfanfb, does Thompson or does Thompson not have a better hit rate in the 3rd/4th round than any GM in the past 40 years?

Are Blake Martinez/Jake Ryan or are they not above average for 4th round selections?

Is Joe Haden or is Joe Haden not 28 years old with 14 games missed in the past 2 seasons?

Would Joe Haden or would he not have not only cost us a 4th, possibly third round pick, but also 11 million dollars that would have prevented us from signing Ahmad Brooks?

Yes or no questions, please.  Yes or no questions. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

@packfanfb, does Thompson or does Thompson not have a better hit rate in the 3rd/4th round than any GM in the past 40 years?

Are Blake Martinez/Jake Ryan or are they not above average for 4th round selections?

Is Joe Haden or is Joe Haden not 28 years old with 14 games missed in the past 2 seasons?

Would Joe Haden or would he not have not only cost us a 4th, possibly third round pick, but also 11 million dollars that would have prevented us from signing Ahmad Brooks?

Yes or no questions, please.  Yes or no questions. 

I'll play: 

1. I don't know, I'll defer to you, I'm too lazy and/or busy to look up that many numbers and compare other GMs. I'll take your word for it. 

2. I would say Jake Ryan is average, Blake below average based on what I've seen so far. 

3. Haden is 28 years old. I think he missed 11 games in 2015 with concussion issues IIRC. Not sure about 14 overall. 

4. I believe Haden would have cost us a 3rd/4th round pick, about $7 million after Browns ate the rest, and prevented us from signing Brooks? Not according to our cap space and I'm not sure how Brooks' contract is going to be structured, etc. So, hard to answer that one, but I'd say no, not "prevented us." 

I'm not going to pout if we don't sign Haden. I never expected it to happen, it's the very definition of a pipe dream. I'm a realest. Would I support it if the move was made despite your argument to the contrary? Yes. 

I'll play: 

1. I don't know, I'll defer to you, I'm too lazy and/or busy to look up that many numbers and compare other GMs. I'll take your word for it. 

2. I would say Jake Ryan is average, Blake below average based on what I've seen so far. 

3. Haden is 28 years old. I think he missed 11 games in 2015 with concussion issues IIRC. Not sure about 14 overall. 

4. I believe Haden would have cost us a 3rd/4th round pick, about $7 million after Browns ate the rest, and prevented us from signing Brooks? Not according to our cap space and I'm not sure how Brooks' contract is going to be structured, etc. So, hard to answer that one, but I'd say no, not "prevented us." 

I'm not going to pout if we don't sign Haden. I never expected it to happen, it's the very definition of a pipe dream. I'm a realest. Would I support it if the move was made despite your argument to the contrary? Yes. 

1. The answer we were looking for was yes.  No points for you.
2. The answer we were looking for was yes.  No points for you.  Unless you think the average 4th round pick starts 9 games with a sack and a pick in their rookie years.
3. 14 games in the past two years.  The answer we were looking for was yes, no points for you.
4. Brooks signed for 5 million, Haden would have cost 11, 7 in best case scenario.  That's 12 million dollars, and if you think we'd go into the season with only 6 million... You'd be wrong.  The answer we were looking for was yes.

I wouldn't pout if we signed Haden.  In fact, I'd be happy.  But you weren't complaining and bellyaching over us not signing him, you were complaining and bellyaching over us not sending a 3rd/4th round pick to the Browns in order to pay Haden 7 million dollars when Thompson has been better than anyone with 3rd/4th round picks during his time here and Haden clearly got cut anyway.

So in short, your complaint was 100% bad, and you should feel bad. 

17 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

1. The answer we were looking for was yes.  No points for you.
2. The answer we were looking for was yes.  No points for you.  Unless you think the average 4th round pick starts 9 games with a sack and a pick in their rookie years.
3. 14 games in the past two years.  The answer we were looking for was yes, no points for you.
4. Brooks signed for 5 million, Haden would have cost 11, 7 in best case scenario.  That's 12 million dollars, and if you think we'd go into the season with only 6 million... You'd be wrong.  The answer we were looking for was yes.

I wouldn't pout if we signed Haden.  In fact, I'd be happy.  But you weren't complaining and bellyaching over us not signing him, you were complaining and bellyaching over us not sending a 3rd/4th round pick to the Browns in order to pay Haden 7 million dollars when Thompson has been better than anyone with 3rd/4th round picks during his time here and Haden clearly got cut anyway.

So in short, your complaint was 100% bad, and you should feel bad. 

So what you're really saying is that I'm awarded no points, and my God have mercy on my soul? B|

Archived