Daniel's Bad Mock That's Mostly An Excuse for Positional Rankings Thread

Daniel

One thing I am confident in is Bill would never draft a WR in the 1st. 1st Rounders on WRs don’t win championships and he knows that. Rarely does a 1st Round WR = Championship. 2017 Eagles and 2015 Broncos had a 1st Round WR but it was more mere coincidence and had nothing to do with their title. Before that, you have to all the way back to the 90’s with Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

Not a bad player - far from that. But I would prefer T.J. Hockenson, Jonah Williams or Devin Bush if Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver and Devin White are gone and we can't trade down

I like Ferrell and think he would be a solid addition to the Falcons D-line and DE is a need.  But if Bowser gets Hock or another player there then Wilkinson to the Falcons would be money and a great pick.   Also any of Dexter Lawrence, Cody ford, or Jonah Williams would be very good picks for the falcons as well.  We do have a legit need at RT as our 3 main needs are  DT and NT,  Edge Rusher, and RT.    Then the next tier would be  CB, Power RB, and LB

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

One thing I am confident in is Bill would never draft a WR in the 1st. 1st Rounders on WRs don’t win championships and he knows that. Rarely does a 1st Round WR = Championship. 2017 Eagles and 2015 Broncos had a 1st Round WR but it was more mere coincidence and had nothing to do with their title. Before that, you have to all the way back to the 90’s with Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin. 

Why would Pats take a WR in the 1st when they can easily get one in the second that more suited with their offense. Long ball is not a major concern with the Pats. WR is one of the deepest postion in the draft.

examples----  Parris Campbell, N'Keal Harry, Deebo Samuel , J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Hunter Renfrow and many others in the draft.

Dalton Risner [ OT ] Kansas State =====  Pats have no quality backup for the Ol. Cannon is 31 and one hit in the head to retirement, Tuney is a FA next year. Major need.
Charles Omenihu [ DL ] Texas ===== Quality player, major need.

18 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Love Simmons but unless we add someone like Suh, McCoy, or Wilkerson via trade or FA I can’t see it. The Titans can’t afford to let their 1st round pick sit pretty much the whole season. Lindstrom would be a good pick.

Eh.  The Titans have been really heavily connected to Simmons.  In this scenario, I think they would probably try to trade down, but I don't project trades.  Lots of teams here are in similar positions.  I think that if that was the scenario, they'd take a stud interior lineman over a guard, especially when guard talent is easy to come by and they're looking for the position of lowest value on the entire offensive line.

18 hours ago, bigdog2372 said:

I don’t know that edge is MORE needed per se. I would say that most BBs I have seen have Allen above White. I think they can both be elite players in the league. The reason I would take Allen is that edge is just so much harder to find than a good LB. you can find a really good ILB in rounds 2 or 3 while it’s really difficult to find elite rushers later let alone early.  LB is just a less valued position than edge in 2019. So, I guess Allen vs White is subjective, but as a Bucs fan I prefer Allen but would be happy with either.

Most do.  I disagree and think the difference between them is significant.  And this year, with such a deep Edge class and such a shallow LB class, Edge talent is easier to come across.  Here, for instance, you're likely to be able to land Jaylon Ferguson in the second round, and I'd rather come out with White and Ferguson than Allen and Pratt, for instance.

14 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

I sort of like your exclusion of Metcalf.
I don't think he's all that.

I think he's Stephen Hill 2.0.  He's big and he's fast, but even watching highlights, all I ever see him do is get behind corners and run straight to catch deep balls.  In the NFL, he won't be as big a physical mismatch as he always was in college, and it will be harder for him to get behind whole defenses too.  I just don't see first round talent there when there are plenty of other big, fast receivers that know how to move in directions that aren't straight lines.

That and he has a substantial injury history.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, Daniel said:

Most do.  I disagree and think the difference between them is significant.  And this year, with such a deep Edge class and such a shallow LB class, Edge talent is easier to come across.  Here, for instance, you're likely to be able to land Jaylon Ferguson in the second round, and I'd rather come out with White and Ferguson than Allen and Pratt, for instance.

Sure, and I guess that’s true if you’re just focusing on those two positions, but we could use talent injection everywhere, and like I said, edge is just more important and generally harder to find than LB. For instance I personally would take Allen/Lindstrom, Allen/Rapp, Allen/Adderly, Allen/Risner, or Allen/Jacobs (among others) over white combined with anyone else. My point is I’d rather take a shot at a 3rd or 4th round LB later on than a 3rd or 4th round edge. LB historically is more balanced talentwise throughout the draft than EDGE. Same with RB, OG, C, etc. Some positions you can draft later and some you just have to take early generally speaking. I get your argument, subjective as it is, and would be fine if we ended up with White, but in my opinion, in 2019 nfl, elite edge adds more to a team than elite LB.

25 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

You have Thornhill as the best safety?  Have you actually watched him play or are you just going by combine numbers?

I assume you watched him play. Than spill. Whats the breakdown. I have only seen H-Lights and combine. Help a D NICK out !:D

14 hours ago, m haynes said:

I assume you watched him play. Than spill. Whats the breakdown. I have only seen H-Lights and combine. Help a D NICK out !:D

The first set of highlights I watched really made him look unimpressive (unless I was just half asleep or something).  I just watched what I think was a different highlight video and he looked completely different (much better).  I was originally not a fan at all, but I'm reversing my position on him.  There are a couple things I think he can improve on, one being that he doesn't seem to use that insane vertical of his enough.  I think he could do a better job of high pointing the ball.  Also, I noticed he has a tendency to drop his head at times when tackling, which is a really bad habit, but I think that can be fixed.

I still like Adderly better, even though he played at an FCS school, but I can see now why someone might like Thornhill best.  I have yet to watch most of the other safeties aside from Adderly and CGJ, along with a little bit of Amani Hooker.

TLDR:  I was full of doodoo, so just ignore my original comment.  :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

The first set of highlights I watched really made him look unimpressive (unless I was just half asleep or something).  I just watched what I think was a different highlight video and he looked completely different (much better).  I was originally not a fan at all, but I'm reversing my position on him.  There are a couple things I think he can improve on, one being that he doesn't seem to use that insane vertical of his enough.  I think he could do a better job of high pointing the ball.  Also, I noticed he has a tendency to drop his head at times when tackling, which is a really bad habit, but I think that can be fixed.

I still like Adderly better, even though he played at an FCS school, but I can see now why someone might like Thornhill best.  I have yet to watch most of the other safeties aside from Adderly and CGJ, along with a little bit of Amani Hooker.

TLDR:  I was full of doodoo, so just ignore my original comment.  :P

C Gardner-Johnson == Versatile fits perfect for what the Pats want in a DB
Johnathan Abram  ----- Tone setter hit and hit and hits. See a lot of Rodney Harrison in him
Darnell Savage Jr.  --- Some time out of control doesn't take care of his job, however if you can harnes his fault you have something specail.
Amani Hooker ====== See Johnson comment

Nasir Adderley ===  He has everything you could want, tremendous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

C Gardner-Johnson == Versatile fits perfect for what the Pats want in a DB
Johnathan Abram  ----- Tone setter hit and hit and hits. See a lot of Rodney Harrison in him
Darnell Savage Jr.  --- Some time out of control doesn't take care of his job, however if you can harnes his fault you have something specail.
Amani Hooker ====== See Johnson comment

Nasir Adderley ===  He has everything you could want, tremendous.

I'm all in on Adderly.  If there's one guy I hope the Packers come out of this draft with it's him.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, the mock for what I think will actually happen (minus trades).  Here, I'm putting up my guesses on what the teams will actually do, not using my positional rankings entirely, though I do rely on those to some degree.  Here's hoping I get more than five.

01. Cards: Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma: Still what everyone’s saying, so it’s still what I’m putting.

02. 49ers: Nick Bosa, OLB, Ohio St: No change, still.

03. Jets: Quinnen Williams, DL, Bama: I’m thinking the Jets go somewhere else, but the rumors are Allen is slipping too, so I’m keeping it the same.

04. Raiders: Devin White, LB, LSU: I had him going one spot lower because of the dropoff in LB talent, so now he goes here because of the dropoff.

05. Bucs: Josh Allen, Edge, Kentucky: With White off the board, and pass rushers in demand, the Bucs take Allen.

06. Giants: Ed Oliver, DL, Houston: Normally, I wouldn’t mock a DT this high, but with other prospects showing problems, and Oliver looking like a knock it out of the park hit, he goes to the Giants here.

07. Jags: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida: Shouldn’t be surprising.

08. Lions: Brian Burns, Edge, Florida St: Full disclosure, this is a bit of a reach IMO, but Burns has been steadily climbing the draft boards, while Sweat and Gary seem to be falling.  The Lions would like to trade down, I imagine, in this scenario, but I don’t do that.

09. Bills: Andre Dillard, OT, Washington St: This is close between Dillard and Jonah Williams, but Dillard is the better tackle, so he gets the edge here.

10. Broncos: Jonah Williams, OL, Bama: Williams is arguably the top interior lineman in the draft, so he fits what the Broncos need, with the ability to swing out to tackle in a pinch.

11. Bengals: Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio St: I imagine that, unless the rumors about teams not liking him are actually true, Haskins would be picked ahead of here via trade, but since there’s no trades, he falls to Cincinnati.

12. Packers: TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa: I think this is the highest Hockenson will go.  Teams just don’t value TEs that much.  That said, the need is there, and Lafleur is a big fan of tight ends.  The fit is just too perfect.

13. Dolphins: Montez Sweat, Edge, Mississippi St: Sweat’s free fall ends here.  Miami gets a top 5 talent at 13, and gets a great replacement for Wake.

14. Falcons: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson: The Falcons just re-signed Hageman, but Wilkins is heads above any other player they could draft here other than interior OL players.

15. Skins: DK Metcalf, WR, LSU: Metcalf is big and fast, and the Skins will need targets for whoever their QB will be in 2019.

16. Panthers: Clelin Ferrell, Edge, Clemson: The Panthers need edge rushers, and Ferrell fits the bill.

17. Giants: Daniel Jones, QB, Duke: The Giants would probably get skipped in reality, but here, Jones falls to them at 17.

18. Vikings: Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma: No change here, for the same reasons.  Interior stud, ability to play tackle.

19. Titans: Garrett Bradbury, OL, NC State: Their top targets are all off the board, except Bradbury, so they go with him.  Simmons is an option as well, as would be Tillery and Fant in a trade down.

20. Steelers: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington: This pick is too popular to be right, but dang it, I’m making it.

21. Seahawks: Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan: The Seahawks got rid of Clark, so now they need defensive line help.  Gary’s shoulder puts him in a free fall, but he stops here.

22. Ravens: N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona St: The Ravens get a big bodied receiver to help their young QB to develop.

23. Texans: Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss: The Texans desperately want some help on the offensive line, so they take the next tackle up.  McGary is a possibility too.

24. Raiders: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU: The Raiders need help all over their defense, and someone with Williams’ physical gifts is going in the first.

25. Eagles: Johnathan Abrams, S, Mississippi St: No change here.

26. Colts: Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame: The Colts need defensive help, but they can get it wherever, and Tillery seems high on most teams’ radar.

27. Raiders: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi St: Simmons will be ready sooner than people thought, so the Raiders take him at a discount.

28. Chargers: AJ Brown, WR, Ole Miss: The Chargers need receiver help, and the best in the class just happened to be available at the bottom of the first.

29. Seahawks: Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington: The Seahawks are squandering Russell Wilson, so they take a tackle to help keep him on his feet.

30. Packers: Nasir Adderly, S, Delaware: The Packers grab a safety to help out their backfield, where they may spend multiple picks.  Offensive linemen like Chris Lindstrom are possible too.

31. Rams: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan: I’ve been trying to find a place for Bush for several picks, but he just keeps getting pushed down.  Here, he sticks.

32. Pats: Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma: No change here.  Brown is good, but that injury will keep him from going too high.

14. Falcons: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson: The Falcons just re-signed Hageman, but Wilkins is heads above any other player they could draft here other than interior OL players.

Yes sir i'll take this all day long for the Falcons although i see you don't have Dexter Lawrence in the 1st round and falling a bit i would be happy with him at 14 as well.  But if he falls that far i honestly might have the Falcons trade up a bit a double dip to grab him too lol.   This gives us massive leverage on the
Grady Jarrett contract and if these 2 are as good as i think they can be i might let Grady walk if he doesn't resign for cheap enough like 15 mil a year.  Im not against going into the season with 5 DT's  Grady, Senat, Wilkins, Lawrence,  Davison, and Hageman.   Have any of the athletic ones  slide over to DE as a power DE in run defense schemes.  Also theirs no guarantee that Hageman nor Davison makes the team although i think 1 of the 2 will.