Ravens sign former Raiders WR Seth Roberts

coordinator0

Every Raider fan wanted him gone. Mostly because he was vastly overpaid by our previous regime, but also he is just not very good. Had major problems with drops and stupid penalties (blocks in the back). He is a great dude, hard worker and an awesome blocker though. I wish him the best.

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Every Raider fan wanted him gone. Mostly because he was vastly overpaid by our previous regime, but also he is just not very good. Had major problems with drops and stupid penalties (blocks in the back). He is a great dude, hard worker and an awesome blocker though. I wish him the best.

I think most of us here recognize what he is as a receiver. Our front office has a tendency to sign players that played well against us, and I think Roberts did quite well against the Ravens in our teams last 2-3 meetings.

On twitter I have seen several be concerned that the Ravens then might not address WR in the next draft as they should be, while others see it as a security blanket if we doesn't get anyone.

Yeah this signing doesn’t concern me. Only the top contracts will affect the salary for some time. And he only signed a 1 year deal. If we go into the draft and miss all the WR windows, this type of move makes us just suck a bit less in terms of talent.

But if we go into the draft and come away with a haul of say... AJ Brown and JJ Arcega Whiteside, this dude is for sure getting cut unless he sets the world on fire or the newbies suffer serious injuries in camp.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah this signing doesn’t concern me. Only the top contracts will affect the salary for some time. And he only signed a 1 year deal. If we go into the draft and miss all the WR windows, this type of move makes us just suck a bit less in terms of talent.

But if we go into the draft and come away with a haul of say... AJ Brown and JJ Arcega Whiteside, this dude is for sure getting cut unless he sets the world on fire or the newbies suffer serious injuries in camp.

This has been the FO's MO since 1996.  Go into the draft with as few actual holes as possible so that you don't absolutely need to reach at a position to fill out the roster.  I imagine this is why the team had him under contract 48 hours post-cut (doesn't affect comp pick formula either).  Chances are the Raiders tried shopping him for a conditional 7th or something, so we probably knew it was coming anyway and were ready to pounce.

Archived