Current Hot Takes That Will Just Be Self-Evident in 3 Years

PossibleCabbage

So three years ago, on the eve of the 2016 NFL draft things like "Michael Thomas will be a better WR than Doctson, Coleman, Treadwell, or Fuller"would have been a hot take.  Likewise "Chris Jones and Kenny Clark are going to be better than Nkemdiche, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, or Vernon Butler" or "Xavien Howard is the best CB in the draft not named Jalen Ramsey".  All of these I think now, are more or less things that everybody paying attention believes, or are at least significantly less controversial than they would have been in Mid-April 2016.

So, plant your flag or put on your prognostication hat.  What players do you think will outperform players who the consensus has ranked higher than them, to the degree that the consensus is going to flip in three years.  Since Quinnen vs. Oliver or Haskins vs. Murray is not really a "hot take" in any sense, try to pick guys who aren't really in the consensus top 3 who are going to outperform their current consensus ranking.  Some of this is contingent on fit, scheme, injury luck, or just general weirdness, so there are no repercussions for being wrong.  Also these are fundamentally hot takes so no need to take someone else being wrong very seriously.

Some of mine:

Jerry Tillery is a top 3 IDL in this class.

Hakeem Butler is WR1

Darnell Savage is the best safety from this group in 3 years.

Kahale Warring outperforms Noah Fant and Irv Smith in the NFL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So three years ago, on the eve of the 2016 NFL draft things like "Michael Thomas will be a better WR than Doctson, Coleman, Treadwell, or Fuller"would have been a hot take.  Likewise "Chris Jones and Kenny Clark are going to be better than Nkemdiche, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, or Vernon Butler" or "Xavien Howard is the best CB in the draft not named Jalen Ramsey".  All of these I think now, are more or less things that everybody paying attention believes, or are at least significantly less controversial than they would have been in Mid-April 2016.

So, plant your flag or put on your prognostication hat.  What players do you think will outperform players who the consensus has ranked higher than them, to the degree that the consensus is going to flip in three years.  Since Quinnen vs. Oliver or Haskins vs. Murray is not really a "hot take" in any sense, try to pick guys who aren't really in the consensus top 3 who are going to outperform their current consensus ranking.  Some of this is contingent on fit, scheme, injury luck, or just general weirdness, so there are no repercussions for being wrong.  Also these are fundamentally hot takes so no need to take someone else being wrong very seriously.

Some of mine:

Hakeem Butler is WR1

I can get behind 3 and 4.

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Some of mine:

Hakeem Butler is WR1

Like your takes. Least sure of Savage. Butler is the most interesting receiver in the class. So many other good WRs if they stay healthy. Renfrow is going to make some QB very happy. Surest thing in this class.

Not ready to plant my flag yet except on the biggest and smallest hands in football.

1. Taylor Rapp will become an elite player and will be consistently put in the top 15 players in re-drafts 3 years from now.

2. Joe Jackson will outperform every other EDGE in the draft class.

3. George Aston and Qadree Ollison make several pro bowls.

4. Diontae Johnson and Greg Dortch make several pro bowls.

5. Rashan Gary never lives up to the hype. He remains an average player for the rest of time.

6. Dwayne Haskins outperforms Kyler Murray by a mile, but Murray isn't a BUST.

• Like 3

Andy Isabella, will end up as the best WR from this class, and a pro bowler in over 50% of his NFL seasons, after his rookie year (which will still be solid, but nothing crazy via being held back as a rookie)

Darrell Henderson ends up as the only RB from this class to make more than one pro bowl

Those are the two main guys I'd bang the drum for, for their respective positions.

Focusing on other RBs:

Jacobs, Montgomery, and Sanders all heavily underperform their draft status via limited speed/acceleration relative to the NFL level, despite being 3 of the first 4 drafted. 

Mike Weber ends up being the 2nd best RB of this class via being solid and unspectacular, but spends his entire career being that guy where the team talks about replacing him constantly.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

-Jarret Stidham becomes the best QB from this class

-Jachai Polite falls but becomes one of the best edge defenders in the league

-David Long will he viewed as the best CB from this class

-Nick Bosa busts

-The most productive RB in this class will be drafted in the 6th round, Elijah Holyfield

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1. Taylor Rapp will become an elite player and will be consistently put in the top 15 players in re-drafts 3 years from now.

2. Joe Jackson will outperform every other EDGE in the draft class.

3. George Aston and Qadree Ollison make several pro bowls.

4. Diontae Johnson and Greg Dortch make several pro bowls.

5. Rashan Gary never lives up to the hype. He remains an average player for the rest of time.

6. Dwayne Haskins outperforms Kyler Murray by a mile, but Murray isn't a BUST.

LOOOOVE Joe Jackson.

I think Banogu might be better even, if he has the heart.....and I can't tell that. 

My favs go Bosa, Banogu, Jackson. Really love the last two though.

Edited by JaireAlex

22 hours ago, Epyon said:

Andy Isabella, will end up as the best WR from this class, and a pro bowler in over 50% of his NFL seasons, after his rookie year (which will still be solid, but nothing crazy via being held back as a rookie)

Darrell Henderson ends up as the only RB from this class to make more than one pro bowl

Those are the two main guys I'd bang the drum for, for their respective positions.

Focusing on other RBs:

Jacobs, Montgomery, and Sanders all heavily underperform their draft status via limited speed/acceleration relative to the NFL level, despite being 3 of the first 4 drafted. 

Mike Weber ends up being the 2nd best RB of this class via being solid and unspectacular, but spends his entire career being that guy where the team talks about replacing him constantly.

Like it, but Jacobs is special. And Sanders will be fine. This is quietly a nice RB class.

48 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

-Jarret Stidham becomes the best QB from this class

-Jachai Polite falls but becomes one of the best edge defenders in the league

-David Long will he viewed as the best CB from this class

-Nick Bosa busts

-The most productive RB in this class will be drafted in the 6th round, Elijah Holyfield

Oh, man!!!!!!

I am so on the opposite spectrum with every one of these except the QB whom I don't know.

• Like 1