Breshad Perriman: Was he better in his 10 games for Cleveland than his 3 seasons in Baltimore?

AngusMcFife

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Just because Moore didn't mesh with Flacco at QB doesn't mean he can't succeed with Lamar. Flacco likes his veteran WRs. 

For instance, Perriman was a bust with Flacco but worked just fine as a deep threat with Mayfield. 

Lol o yea? perriman went for 340 and 2 tds.. he sure tore it up in Cleveland. That's why they cut him..   

3 hours ago, paraven said:

Lol o yea? perriman went for 340 and 2 tds.. he sure tore it up in Cleveland. That's why they cut him..   

While he did seem to improve with Cleveland, it still says a lot that they didn't value him enough to provide him a new contract - even with OBJ coming in. 

53 minutes ago, Danand said:

While he did seem to improve with Cleveland, it still says a lot that they didn't value him enough to provide him a new contract - even with OBJ coming in. 

They did.  He agreed to a 1 year, $4m contract (during that 3 day period between when teams were allowed to negotiate and when players could actually sign) before the OBJ trade.  He asked to be let out of the commitment after the OBJ trade and then signed the same contract with the Bucs.

None of that is to say that he was actually any good for the Browns

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

They did.  He agreed to a 1 year, $4m contract (during that 3 day period between when teams were allowed to negotiate and when players could actually sign) before the OBJ trade.  He asked to be let out of the commitment after the OBJ trade and then signed the same contract with the Bucs.

That is true. I don't know how similar Perriman and Metcalf are on paper, but I feel like I see the same player watching college tape. 

12 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Just because Moore didn't mesh with Flacco at QB doesn't mean he can't succeed with Lamar. Flacco likes his veteran WRs. 

For instance, Perriman was a bust with Flacco but worked just fine as a deep threat with Mayfield. 

Perriman was a bust because he didn't have the mental strength to be a wide receiver with the pressure of being a #1 or #2 or first round pick. And because he kept dropping passes he should have caught. And because his awareness on routes was bad, and because he kept battling with injuries, and because he was inconsistent overall, and because he gave up on routes/plays where he wasn't the primary option, and because he was bad at finding ways to get open when the play broke down.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:16 AM, drd23 said:

Well the Browns had 2 seasons. Once they fired Hue Jackson, Perriman was very effective.

3 targets per game

65% completion percentage

22.2 yards/completion

That's why they offered him a new contract. @paraven likes to lie, I see. Is he just incredibly stupid or does he intentionally spread misinformation? 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, Danand said:

Perriman was a bust because he didn't have the mental strength to be a wide receiver with the pressure of being a #1 or #2 or first round pick. And because he kept dropping passes he should have caught. And because his awareness on routes was bad, and because he kept battling with injuries, and because he was inconsistent overall, and because he gave up on routes/plays where he wasn't the primary option, and because he was bad at finding ways to get open when the play broke down.

And yet with Baker Mayfield, he was a dangerous downfield threat that was very efficient with his opportunities catching the ball and making big plays. Funny how that works. 

17 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

And yet with Baker Mayfield, he was a dangerous downfield threat that was very efficient with his opportunities catching the ball and making big plays. Funny how that works. 

So you think it was because Baker Mayfield threw those passes that Perriman could catch and stay healthy? Come one, you don't have to make yourself that stupid.

Perriman had a decent season for him, which was still around 30-34 yards a game, quite similar to his second season with the Ravens. He didn't do anything with the Browns that surprised anyone, so don't try to make an argument that this was a fault of anyone else than Perriman. He got so many chances because he was a first round pick, and he blew them all.

17 hours ago, Danand said:

So you think it was because Baker Mayfield threw those passes that Perriman could catch and stay healthy? Come one, you don't have to make yourself that stupid.

Perriman had a decent season for him, which was still around 30-34 yards a game, quite similar to his second season with the Ravens. He didn't do anything with the Browns that surprised anyone, so don't try to make an argument that this was a fault of anyone else than Perriman. He got so many chances because he was a first round pick, and he blew them all.

If you don't think QB's can develop chemistry with certain kinds of WRs and not others, I don't know how to help you. Talk about making yourself stupid. 

If Perriman blew all his chances with the Ravens, but then immediately capitalized on his chances when he is on a different team, it is fair to look at the circumstances that lead to him blowing his chances with the first team. Young WR have a poor record of developing with Flacco, so it is a legitimate inquiry.

Which is why I am willing to see how Chris Moore does with Lamar Jackson before writing him off as other posters have done. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

If you don't think QB's can develop chemistry with certain kinds of WRs and not others, I don't know how to help you. Talk about making yourself stupid. 

If Perriman blew all his chances with the Ravens, but then immediately capitalized on his chances when he is on a different team, it is fair to look at the circumstances that lead to him blowing his chances with the first team. Young WR have a poor record of developing with Flacco, so it is a legitimate inquiry.

Which is why I am willing to see how Chris Moore does with Lamar Jackson before writing him off as other posters have done. 

Perriman did basically the same with the Browns as he did with the Ravens and Flacco in his second season. Sigh, but yeah, keep making up weird statements.

7 hours ago, Danand said:

Perriman did basically the same with the Browns as he did with the Ravens and Flacco in his second season. Sigh, but yeah, keep making up weird statements.

If you think:

a 50% catch percentage at 15 yards per catch is equal to

a 65% catch percentage at 22 yards per catch,

I just can't help you. One stat line is a mediocre deep threat, and the other is exceptionally efficient. Look at the DVOA, Perriman is at -8.7 in 2016, and +36.6 in 2018. 

For context, you are saying the quality of play of Marcus Mariota (-8.4 DVOA) and Drew Brees (38.2 DVOA) in 2018 was about the same. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If you think:

I just can't help you. One stat line is a mediocre deep threat, and the other is exceptionally efficient. Look at the DVOA, Perriman is at -8.7 in 2016, and +36.6 in 2018. 

For context, you are saying the quality of play of Marcus Mariota (-8.4 DVOA) and Drew Brees (38.2 DVOA) in 2018 was about the same. 

I just can’t help you, it is a small sample size which means, that a few long catches will have a big impact on the statistic. We are talking a few yards in difference. If Perriman had caught the passes that Flacco put straight on him instead of batting them up in the air or wasn’t able to get his head around to look for the ball, he would have similar or better stats than he did on the Browns.

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

If you think:

Yeah while Perriman is definitely to blame for being mentally weak, I definitely think he has the athleticism to make an impact in this league.

I’m not sure if Flacco was the problem or if  it was Harbaugh’s toughness on players, the 1st round pressure, or some combination thereof.

(As an aside: I’m simply glad that Perriman is off he Browns. I feel they have the worst fans... at least when it comes to anything Ravens. They allow their hate to pollute every fiber of our team for something that happened 22 years ago. Children have been born and graduated college, yet they’re still salty... and they kept their history. While Baltimore has mostly gotten over the Colts leaving and taking our history with them.)

Back on topic: I think you have the right of it. Perriman’s performance was certainly much improved this season over anything he’s shown with us. I don’t think that can be discounted. Given a full season he likely earns himself a really nice contract. He was doing things with them that he’s never done with us. Putting the blame ONLY on Perriman is immature, arrogant, and a mistake. Our franchise has a history of not developing receivers, yet Perriman is fully to blame for his struggles?? Makes no sense.

Edited by diamondbull424

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah while Perriman is definitely to blame for being mentally weak, I definitely think he has the athleticism to make an impact in this league.

I’m not sure if Flacco was the problem or if  it was Harbaugh’s toughness on players, the 1st round pressure, or some combination thereof.

(As an aside: I’m simply glad that Perriman is off he Browns. I feel they have the worst fans... at least when it comes to anything Ravens. They allow their hate to pollute every fiber of our team for something that happened 22 years ago. Children have been born and graduated college, yet they’re still salty... and they kept their history. While Baltimore has mostly gotten over the Colts leaving and taking our history with them.)

Back on topic: I think you have the right of it. Perriman’s performance was certainly much improved this season over anything he’s shown with us. I don’t think that can be discounted. Given a full season he likely earns himself a really nice contract. He was doing things with them that he’s never done with us. Putting the blame ONLY on Perriman is immature, arrogant, and a mistake. Our franchise has a history of not developing receivers, yet Perriman is fully to blame for his struggles?? Makes no sense.

I really can't agree with this. Of course we didn't develop him as well as we could have, but to act like Perriman had a breakout season with the Browns is completely wrong. We saw the same glimpses of what he can do. Most of us was actually optimistic after the 2016 season because he made both tough catches and had long gains going for TD's.

Perriman had 0-3 catches in his games with the Browns, and if we remove one of his long gains from either the Panthers Bengals games, his stats look completely different - hence that if we are going to throw stats around, we have to acknowledge that with a small sample size, 1 outlier can have a big impact on the big picture.

What I think is, Ravens fans saw we have was supposed to be when he played against us in that final game, and he played with a swagger we never saw, but when someone then says, he broke out with the Browns and that it was because it was Baker Mayfield threw the football and not Flacco, then it is fair to call BS.