Kizer in 2018

brooks1957

Good morning Packer Nation -

I come from The Land. (of the Cuyahoga) in peace. I was wondering if you might be able to provide me with some honest insight into the development of your backup QB, DeShone Kizer, previously of the Cleveland Browns. Let me start by offering this.

2017 proved two glaring things to me and my 50 years experience watching this great game of ours. (1965 Browns-Packers title game was the start of it for me - the die was cast).

First - DeShone was not ready for the NFL game when he was installed as the week 1 starter. Brian Kelly was right, I think another year at Notre Dame would have benefited him greatly. Not necessarily in the opening week game vs the Steelers, but as the season wore on - his lack of experience showed with some real WTF throws that ended up in enemy hands. Kizer went on to throw 22 picks in 2017. Of those 22 - 17 were in the second half of games - and a whopping 71% of those 17 were in the second half of the 4th quarter or later. Ouch.

Second - The Sashi Brown led front office failed DeShone greatly by failing to provide a credible NFL veteran QB that Kizer could learn from. This probably had more to do with the infighting and personal agendas that Sashi and Hue stuck to over the good of the team. Hence, being thrown into the fire for a week one start - and the eventual dismissal of Sashi and Hue. But the other way that this coaching staff and front office failed DeShone was not holding teammates accountable. When Kenny frickin' Britt dropped a critical third down conversion that would have kept a go ahead drive in the fourth quarter going against the Steelers in week one - Hueball said in his post game presser that "We cannot have plays like that. We have to help this young man out." But then he did absolutely nothing. Britt remained on the team much longer than he should have.

I like DeShone. I still think he is an upper level athlete with a high ceiling - but he got off to a very rough NFL start because of the situation he was tossed into. When he was traded for Damarious Randall, I viewed the trade as one that would be good for both players. Randall filled a big need here and DeShone got the much needed opportunity to hit the restart button on his NFL career.

Your thoughts?

We didn't get to see much, but what we did see was pretty damn awful. He played in the Bears game for a couple drives I believe and threw that great pick 6 to Mack, and played most of the Week 17 Lions game in which the offense scored 0 points at home. He will hopefully be able to take some steps this year - the system was built around Aaron improvising, so putting Kizer in there doesn't do him any favours. I look forward to see if he can develop some this year

I'll get this in before the 'Kizer sucks' comments come around. 

I agree with a lot of what you said.  Since he came to Green Bay he has watched the dysfunction of MM/AR and had to learn a complex, but outdated scheme that had little chance of success if it wasn't run by an All Pro QB.

I actually look forward to his development under an innovative young Coach.  I, like you, think he still has plenty of upside.

1 minute ago, brooks1957 said:

Thanks. Am I correct in thinking that Aaron may not be the most inclusive "mentor" for DeShone? I think a Josh McCown type would have been wonderful for Kizer.

People will probably say that Aaron's a **** and only cares about his own development so he couldn't care less about Kizer.

BUT I have a feeling he helps out in as many ways as possible. I think the talent is there at least.

2 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Thanks. Am I correct in thinking that Aaron may not be the most inclusive "mentor" for DeShone? I think a Josh McCown type would have been wonderful for Kizer.

To be honest, I think that's a coaches job.  Sure, you can learn things as an understudy, but Getsy should be very good for Kizer.  Aaron will be fine teaching him stuff too because Aaron won't feel threatened for a couple years yet.

15 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I'm still embarrassed about us misutilizing a 1st round pick and shipping him off for this guy. Kind of irrelevant to this thread, I know, but Randall and Amos would've been a nice pair at safety. ¬¬

Yeah, we kinda like Randall too. His troll game is unparalleled. Did you guys see when he picked off Andy Dalton last year in Cincinnati and handed the ball to Hue on the Bengals sideline?

Classic!

I think we need to give Kizer another year before we move on. The lack of awareness and odd throws concern me and I worry they can't be fixed, but he IS learning yet a third offensive system this year so it's a bit unfair to just dump him at this point. JMO

He was atrocious. In the week one game where GODgers stole it from the Bears, the Packers won 24-23... GB was +11 (24-13) when Rodgers was playing and a -10 (0-10) when Kizer played. I liked Kizer actually coming out of school, but given how he is historically bad in the red zone and just largely seems incapable of quality decision making, I'm 100% out on him.

I have given up on Kizer.  Either a guy has it or he doesn't.  Kizer doesn't.  This is one area that needs to be shored up.  We need a quality back up QB.  Arm talent sure he's got it.  Athleticism has that too.  It's what is going on upstairs that is most important.  He hasn't showed anything since coming to GB.  Maybe MLF can turn him around but I have serious doubts.  

17 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I have given up on Kizer.  Either a guy has it or he doesn't.  Kizer doesn't.  This is one area that needs to be shored up.  We need a quality back up QB.  Arm talent sure he's got it.  Athleticism has that too.  It's what is going on upstairs that is most important.  He hasn't showed anything since coming to GB.  Maybe MLF can turn him around but I have serious doubts.  

This is exactly where I am on him...

That is where we were with DeShone as well. But I thought that was due to the chaos in Cleveland. The arm strength and athleticism were the tantalizing qualities that allowed you to extend the hope that Kizer would get it together with better coaches. 

I'm sad to say after all that's come out in the last 6 months but his situation with HC, QB coach and Rodgers might have been worse here than his situation with Hue Jackson in Cleveland.

I'm really not taking anything away from last year, but he definitely has to improve this year.

Archived