Draft Scenario Discussion

WindyCity

So much depends on how the picks for backs go.  Will they be spaced out or will there be a run on them.

I'd have no problem with Pace trading up for a back they have ranked much higher than others and conversely with as many as 5-6 backs not named Jacobs, Montgomery, or Sanders I'd have no problem sitting tight an waiting for one of a group we rank evenly to fall to us.

I'm not even sure a RB will be our first pick.

29 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I would make that trade. Get 2 more picks this year + moving up and despite parting with a 2 next year, they'll still have about 9 picks in 2020.

This becomes an issue we know less about than Pace and his scouting staff.

This draft appears to be pretty well stocked with talent at positions we need to fill like RB, TE, and SS.  There may be fewer top tier guys at each position but the lists are loaded with 2nd tier prospects we seem to strike pay dirt with or at least have in the past.

So the question becomes would we be better off to spend some of the extra 2020 picks we have to fill positions of need with more or better talent now?

I can't answer that but I'm sure Pace and Nagy can so if that's a strategy that makes sense I'm all for it.  It paid dividends trading for Mack and trading up last year for Miller so I'll trust their judgement.  I'm pretty certain we can find a RB and a TE who'll contribute this year and a SS prospect who can play ST while learning behind HHCD.  Amani Hooker is a guy I've seen mentioned as having the skills to play both SS and NB.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I would make that trade. Get 2 more picks this year + moving up and despite parting with a 2 next year, they'll still have about 9 picks in 2020.

Same. Good logic.

If they really think Henderson is going to be the bellcow back thst doesn't hinder the offense for the next 10 years then you make the move. 

I don't like it. If we are going RB with our first pick, we should be able to grab a decent one in the 3rd round. We will need our 2nd next year to help supplement our 1sts that we are losing from the Mack trade. We aren't going to be able to keep everyone we have now, so having high draft capital is going to be essential to grabbing higher tier talent

16 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I don't like it. If we are going RB with our first pick, we should be able to grab a decent one in the 3rd round. We will need our 2nd next year to help supplement our 1sts that we are losing from the Mack trade. We aren't going to be able to keep everyone we have now, so having high draft capital is going to be essential to grabbing higher tier talent

And yet I totally understand this logic as well.

39 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I am torn. What if the difference between decent and dynamic is what the 2019 season comes down to?

I don't mind trading up for Henderson at all via using next year's second. I actually think we should be wise to trade that pick for something this year regardless. 

I am sketchy on the deal also turning our late third into a late fourth, however (assuming in reading that right). We aren't a talent deprived team, but we still need to keep up the pace drafting, if we're going to make effective use of our "window", and I think there should still bea good player available with our third. 

Overall I like Henderson enough to pull the trigger, but I'd very strongly look for a deal that only pays our next year's second for him, without costing us position on this year's third as well. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

In our work e-mail mock draft I am staring at this trade

3[87]-155

2[2020]-220 [10th pick of round 3]

2[59]-310

4[129]-43

6[199]-11

The move would be for Darrell Henderson. Sanders, Jacobs and Harris have gone.

Thoughts?

Can you make that more clear?  I am not getting what exactly is being given up and what we are getting.   I have an idea, but I am not sure.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Colts are sending 2, 4, and 6 which equals 364 points on the trade chart.

Bears send 3, 2(2020) worth 375 points.

They don’t want to lose a day 2 pick and want our 3rd.

Thanks.  

Which 2020 2?  Ours or Raiders?  I think our 2019 season is better than Raiders.  Though Raiders are going to be much improved over last year.  

Either way I pass.  I'd rather not lose any 2020 high picks.  We have a fairly young complete team for 2019 we are just low in depth at OL, RB and TE.   You have to start restocking some talent for near future in 2020 as some contracts get bigger.

I have a feeling 2020 draft will be better than this one too even though there are some good players in this draft.  

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Does anyone subscribe to the Athletic? Dane Brugler, who IMO is the most underrated draft analyst out there, posted his 7 round mock today.

Don't, and don't know who that is. Is a subscription required to view his stuff? 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Thanks.  

Which 2020 2?  Ours or Raiders?  I think our 2019 season is better than Raiders.  Though Raiders are going to be much improved over last year.  

Either way I pass.  I'd rather not lose any 2020 high picks.  We have a fairly young complete team for 2019 we are just low in depth at OL, RB and TE.   You have to start restocking some talent for near future in 2020 as some contracts get bigger.

I have a feeling 2020 draft will be better than this one too even though there are some good players in this draft.  

That is a good point, I was assuming it was ours.

I think OAK is going to fall flat this year, their ceiling is 7-9 IMO. And I am highly skeptical of that.