Draft Scenario Discussion

WindyCity

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Best case scenario the Bears need a rookie RB to get 170 carries.

We know the best case scenario does not usually play out.

If Davis gets hurt or flops that rookie could be getting 250 ASAP.

I disagree - best case scenario is that Davis gets 200+ carries at or very close to his 2018 rate of production and the need for a rookie to be an impact player is greatly minimized, but you’re right about the rookie having to take on a huge role if Davis were to get hurt. All the more reason I expect that even if we take a rookie at 87 we probably add some kind of vet with experience after the draft whether that’s Ware, Grant, etc. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m curious if they maybe had him bulk up as a potential replacement for Burton. It’d probably be his best chance to make our 53. 

I've thought about this as well. I would LOVE to see Barnes drafted in the 6th to be a HB/FB combo. He has already done some lead blocking, runs with serious power, and is a good receiver out of the backfield. Plus he treats his body like a temple, takes great care of himself. Keep adding weight and he can be a threat out of the backfield rather than being one dimensional like Burton, because he does nothing but block (17 total touches in 4 years, only one of those coming last year). Barnes is a stout 225 pounds too, so he can stay in and passblock with some coaching up.

He reminds me James Conner, I'd like to add 20 pounds to really make him a battering ram.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Best case scenario the Bears need a rookie RB to get 170 carries.

We know the best case scenario does not usually play out.

If Davis gets hurt or flops that rookie could be getting 250 ASAP.

If......

And if Trubisky gets injured and out for the year Chase Daniels could throw 400 passes.

Sorry brother but I won't play if scenarios.  They're imaginary 'til they happen and then Nagy will adjust or we could sign another RB off the street.  There are other possibilities and contingencies.

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

If my aunt had a penis, she would be my uncle

Unless she married into your family via your real uncle, who isn't gay. Then she'd just be the awkwardly feminine dude your uncle invites to get togethers.

19 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

don't assume her gender

c123623c192cbf019ff02c9c546164fc46e16dd2

Hippogriff!!!

Er.. I mean... hypocrite....

damn it

10 hours ago, soulman said:

If......

And if Trubisky gets injured and out for the year Chase Daniels could throw 400 passes.

Sorry brother but I won't play if scenarios.  They're imaginary 'til they happen and then Nagy will adjust or we could sign another RB off the street.  There are other possibilities and contingencies.

Teams plan for depth, that is just a fact.

Mike Davis has dealt with injuries his entire career, to not take that into account would be the height of idiotic.

Your ability to adjust is based on your ability to have options. The Bears need a legit option behind Davis and not some random street free agent or Mizzell.

The reason the Bears pay Daniel 5-7/season is because he may need to throw 400 passes.

• Like 1

There are 3 positions I am concerned with if the Bears suffer a front line injury

RB

TE

CB

Outside of that I have faith in the primary backup at the other positions. I think Tolliver is an intriguing player, but I would be concerned if he has to start 10 games.

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I disagree - best case scenario is that Davis gets 200+ carries at or very close to his 2018 rate of production and the need for a rookie to be an impact player is greatly minimized, but you’re right about the rookie having to take on a huge role if Davis were to get hurt. All the more reason I expect that even if we take a rookie at 87 we probably add some kind of vet with experience after the draft whether that’s Ware, Grant, etc. 

That is assuming he can maintain his production in a larger role, which is where the risk of Davis comes in because we have never seen him with 200 plus carries.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Teams plan for depth, that is just a fact.

Mike Davis has dealt with injuries his entire career, to not take that into account would be the height of idiotic.

Your ability to adjust is based on your ability to have options. The Bears need a legit option behind Davis and not some random street free agent or Mizzell.

The reason the Bears pay Daniel 5-7/season is because he may need to throw 400 passes.

I'm not denying the need for another RB only the assumption that he'd need to handle 250 carries.

If Davis was lost I assume our contingency plan is another back we have on the PS or a street FA to pair with the rookie.

I don't believe we'll see just one rookie RB in camp.  I'm planning on 2 or 3.  One draftee and at least one UDFA and there's always a chance we could add a vet FA to the mix and bring him to camp to compete.

I'm seeing four RBs on the roster not including Patterson.  Davis, Cohen, and two more.

7 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm not denying the need for another RB only the assumption that he'd need to handle 250 carries.

If Davis was lost I assume our contingency plan is another back we have on the PS or a street FA to pair with the rookie.

I don't believe we'll see just one rookie RB in camp.  I'm planning on 2 or 3.  One draftee and at least one UDFA and there's always a chance we could add a vet FA to the mix and bring him to camp to compete.

I'm seeing four RBs on the roster not including Patterson.  Davis, Cohen, and two more.

Someone is going to get an increase in work if Davis and his 170-200 carries get injured.

I am really not interested in handing a bunch of carries to dudes off the street or UDFA.

The Bears do not need to give a draft pick the full work load, but they should be prepared to give a bulk of it an spread the fall out between the bums at the backend of the roster.

468 carries last season

283 are currently sitting unclaimed if usage is very similar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Someone is going to get an increase in work if Davis and his 170-200 carries get injured.

I am really not interested in handing a bunch of carries to dudes off the street or UDFA.

The Bears do not need to give a draft pick the full work load, but they should be prepared to give a bulk of it an spread the fall out between the bums at the backend of the roster.

468 carries last season

283 are currently sitting unclaimed if usage is very similar.

For all we know we may add a vet like Ware whose been a starter and there are others who've also had NFL game experience but due to his experience with Nagy I would think Ware might be a first call guy if Nagy and Pace do feel they need a vet backup.  We'll know more after the draft but it makes some sense.

That said who knows what a rookie might do.  Whoever expected Howard to blow Langford out of his job as a rookie and challenge Zeke Elliot's numbers as a 5th round pick?  He was the contingency plan game one and after that a starter.  If we're now RBBC we'll need two backs capable of being a lead back.

I'll trust Pace to assure RB is well enough covered that an injury won't torpedo us.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

For all we know we may add a vet like Ware whose been a starter and there are others who've also had NFL game experience but due to his experience with Nagy I would think Ware might be a first call guy if Nagy and Pace do feel they need a vet backup.  We'll know more after the draft but it makes some sense.

That said who knows what a rookie might do.  Whoever expected Howard to blow Langford out of his job as a rookie and challenge Zeke Elliot's numbers as a 5th round pick?  He was the contingency plan game one and after that a starter.  If we're now RBBC we'll need two backs capable of being a lead back.

I'll trust Pace to assure RB is well enough covered that an injury won't torpedo us.

I think if they wanted Ware to play a substantial role he would be signed by now.

The rookie is about having an option, and option worth giving reps to.

I agree that Pace will protect himself by drafting someone he thinks can start if Davis is injured.

Edited by WindyCity