Draft Scenario Discussion

WindyCity

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I agree that they will sign some guys after the draft. I disagree that they are going to be of a quality that we want  them contributing a ton.

Maybe Yeldon or Ware would be solidifying, but I am not sure either is someone I want starting if there is an injury. 

How many teams have a RB3 they want taking 200+ carries? Assuming Davis is RB1 if he were to go down his reps would likely be split between the draft pick, that FA, Cohen and probably Patterson plus another vet capable of limited work may be brought in depending on how long he might be out.

Who actually starts is irrelevant though. We’re talking about reps here, right? Jordan Howard played 41.6 snaps per game last year as our primary back and got the ball on average 16.9 times per game. You don’t think 3 or 4 guys could reasonably split that? RB1 all over the league get hurt every year and yet teams survive, often times without a huge drop off. Davis, Cohen, a mid-round rookie, and any vet with experience plus spot reps for Patterson is FAR more quality depth than most teams have at the position. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 6:31 PM, Madmike90 said:

Polite or Miller would be excellent fits

More I hear about Polite more I think Bears don't have him on their board despite his talent.   Seems to have some undesirable, from a football perspective, personality quirks.  Character/personality is important to Pace.

It doesn't matter though because I think no way Polite makes it all the way to 87 and I don't believe Bears are trading up.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:08 AM, dll2000 said:

More I hear about Polite more I think Bears don't have him on their board despite his talent.   Seems to have some undesirable, from a football perspective, personality quirks.  Character/personality is important to Pace.

It doesn't matter though because I think no way Polite makes it all the way to 87 and I don't believe Bears are trading up.

I'd tend to agree.  Nagy isn't about bringing bad boys into his team and expecting the good guys to straighten them out.  That's not a job I would want either.  There are plenty of teams who'll take a chance on guys with low character and we're not one of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soulman said:

I'd tend to agree.  Nagy isn't about bringing bad boys into his team and expecting the good guys to straighten them out.  That's not a job I would want either.  There are plenty of teams who'll take a chance on guys with low character and we're not one of them.

Nagy comes from arguably the lowest character team in the league.

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Nagy comes from arguably the lowest character team in the league.

That's arguable but what difference pray tell does that make now that he's HC of one with some of the highest character guys? 

Pace also has a say in all of that.  The final say actually.

I'd call that flawed logic Windy.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

That's arguable but what difference pray tell does that make now that he's HC of one with some of the highest character guys? 

Pace also has a say in all of that.  The final say actually.

I'd call that flawed logic Windy.

You also have to take into account where Pace came from...NO wasn't exactly flawless when he was there...I have long said we need to get a bit more dog in this team and sometimes your not going to get perfect characters to do it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You also have to take into account where Pace came from...NO wasn't exactly flawless when he was there...I have long said we need to get a bit more dog in this team and sometimes your not going to get perfect characters to do it.  

I think more importantly the McCaskeys have some say.  And they take pride in Bears ownership and this team IS their family history and legacy.  I personally think they will not allow the team to not be VERY high character.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Well we're all entitled to our own opinions Mike but one thing I don't see lacking on this team is toughness on defense without the need for any problem children.  We seem to be doing OK so far without any boneheads or prima donnas and guys who tripped up off the field like Deiondre Hall got shipped out.

I see guys who have character and can still get a little wild and crazy and a HC who encourages a bit of that but the Bears are still a team who draws some hard lines as far as behavior both in the locker room and off the field goes.  GMcC isn't gonna deal with another Ray McDonald type very well.

And as for Pace and Nagy where you came from doesn't represent who you are now.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

I think more importantly the McCaskeys have some say.  And they take pride in Bears ownership and this team IS their family history and legacy.  I personally think they will not allow the team to not be VERY high character.  

Pace has emphasized this before and if you look across the roster I don't see any issues at the moment.  And in the past if guys messed up off the field or caused much internal disturbance they were shipped out as soon as practical.

All the talent in the world won't survive multiple game suspensions.  After all they didn't beat a path to Kareem Hunt when he was looking to sign somewhere.  I'd take that as an indicator of where they draw the lines.

Just now, soulman said:

Pace has emphasized this before and if you look across the roster I don't see any issues at the moment.  And in the past if guys messed up off the field or caused much internal disturbance they were shipped out as soon as practical.

All the talent in the world won't survive multiple game suspensions.  After all they didn't beat a path to Kareem Hunt when he was looking to sign somewhere.  I'd take that as an indicator of where they draw the lines.

I personally believe if it was up to Pace and Nagy, Hunt would be a bear, but the McCaskeys shot it down.  

12 hours ago, soulman said:

I haven't heard Polite is low character.  Translating coach and scout speak, he doesn't have personality traits you want in a football player. 

I heard or translated same things about Rosen when he was coming out.  Rosen's issues are radically different than Polite's, and neither is low character, but both are in category of kind of guy teams really don't want.    

• Like 1