Draft Day Scenarios

Rgossett07

If the Giants offer 2019 first round (#17) and 2020 2nd Round pick for Dolphins #13, to jump in front of Redskins for a QB, would you do it?

Raiders offer #24 and and Bears 1st round pick in 2020 for Dolphins #13 overall?

Miami offers #13 overall and 2020 first round pick to 49ers for #2 overall? (Would hate this)

Miami swaps 2nd rounders with Indianapolis (Jets pick at #35) and send Reshad Jones?

Would love the feedback or other scenarios.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

If the Giants offer 2019 first round (#17) and 2020 2nd Round pick for Dolphins #13, to jump in front of Redskins for a QB, would you do it?

Raiders offer #24 and and Bears 1st round pick in 2020 for Dolphins #13 overall?

Miami offers #13 overall and 2020 first round pick to 49ers for #2 overall? (Would hate this)

Miami swaps 2nd rounders with Indianapolis (Jets pick at #35) and send Reshad Jones?

The Giants trade.....yep I would do that.

The Raiders trade....yep I would do that.

49ers trade......nope I wouldn’t do that.

Indianapolis trade.......yep I would do it but no way Indianapolis would.  I don’t see any team really wanting to pick up Jones contract, especially given his age and injury history.  Its reported that if we trade Jones before 01 June then we take a dead cap hit of $12.135 Mil and open up $5 Mil in space, but if we trade Jones after 01 June then we take a dead cap hit of just $4.045 mil and open up $13 mil in cap space with $8 mil in dead cap hit rolling into 2020.  I wouldn’t be shocked if we are able to work out some kind of draft exchange for Jones but I think it’s more likely to come after 01 June and be for a late round 2020 draft pick or pick swap.

Here is another Draft Day scenario.

There is a lot of chatter that OSU QB Dwayne Haskins is going to fall outside of the top 10.  Personally I don’t see it happening and I feel it’s much more likely some team trades up into the top 5 to draft him.  I also see him as the unquestioned top QB in this draft.

Nevertheless, let’s say that Dwayne Haskins is available at pick 13.  Do you think we should draft him, trade back and if so for what compensation, or pick a Defensive or Offensive Lineman???

Let us know what you think we should do and why.......

20 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

There is a lot of chatter that OSU QB Dwayne Haskins is going to fall outside of the top 10.  Personally I don’t see it happening and I feel it’s much more likely some team trades up into the top 5 to draft him.  I also see him as the unquestioned top QB in this draft.

Nevertheless, let’s say that Dwayne Haskins is available at pick 13.  Do you think we should draft him, trade back and if so for what compensation, or pick a Defensive or Offensive Lineman???

Regardless of who is available, I think you have to at least explore trading back. Too many holes to fill.  I do really like me some Haskins though.  

• Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 6:42 PM, Swampbilly said:

If Haskins drops I take him. Otherwise trade down

On 08/04/2019 at 5:24 PM, Rgossett07 said:

Would do them all except the trade up

On 4/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, hrubes20 said:

Regardless of who is available, I think you have to at least explore trading back. Too many holes to fill.  I do really like me some Haskins though.  

I don’t disagree.  If a player is available in which another team wants enough to trade us multiple picks including a first rounder and a second rounder then we have to at least consider it.  For us to pass on Haskins at 13 then I would think it has to be at least a swap of first rounders this year and a second and a third between this year and next year.

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

I don’t disagree.  If a player is available in which another team wants enough to trade us multiple picks including a first rounder and a second rounder then we have to at least consider it.  For us to pass on Haskins at 13 then I would think it has to be at least a swap of first rounders this year and a second and a third between this year and next year.

Yeah, it would depend a lot on who else is available and how far back we are moving.  The most realistic trade back right now looks like the Giants at 17.  

11 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, it would depend a lot on who else is available and how far back we are moving.  The most realistic trade back right now looks like the Giants at 17.  

Ya I agree.  I don’t predict Haskins will fall out of the top 10, but if he does I just don’t believe he falls past Cincinnati.  I have him as the top QB in this draft despite his poor combine and he played for Ohio State......Cincinnati is in Ohio so not only am I sure they are familiar with Haskins but the Bengals and Buckeyes share some of the same fan base which means Haskins would surely sell tickets there.

Here’s a risky boom or bust scenario:

Dolphins and Cardinals agree on a draft day trade.  Cardinals get pick 13 while Dolphins get QB Josh Rosen and picks 33 and 103.

The Cardinals want a first round pick for Rosen and this is as best as it gets for them.  They would have pick 1 and 13, 65, 139, 174, 179, 207, 248, 249, 254.

Dolphins would have our potential franchise QB and picks 33, 48, 78, 103, 116, 151, 233, 234.  

I think this would work for both teams if Haskins is gone at 13 ( highly probable ) and the Cardinals want QB Kyler Murray at pick 1 ( very likely ).

This is the first draft in a long time that I can say that absolutely no one knows what the Dolphins are going to do. Even the beat reporters have said that the Dolphins are buttoned up. All that their inside sources would say is that Miami isn't going to trade up. Other than that, all options are on the table. One thing to monitor about Rosen is the price. I doubt Miami gives up a first round pick. The Cardinals would be in a tough spot if they draft Murray. The compensation I have heard was that Miami would be willing to give a 3rd. I don't know where that originated from, but it sounds a lot better than a first. 

Haskins could drop, but I doubt it. There are too many desperate GM's out there trying to make a big splash. He isn't going to last past the 10th pick. What I am more interested in is if the Dolphins are willing to risk a first on Sweat. A heart murmur must be monitored, but you can be an athlete with that condition. My oldest son has this very condition. It isn't something that they operate on unless it is severe. Sweat has lived his entire life with this condition, but you know how spooky GM's can be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericsvibe said:

This is the first draft in a long time that I can say that absolutely no one knows what the Dolphins are going to do. Even the beat reporters have said that the Dolphins are buttoned up. All that their inside sources would say is that Miami isn't going to trade up. Other than that, all options are on the table. One thing to monitor about Rosen is the price. I doubt Miami gives up a first round pick. The Cardinals would be in a tough spot if they draft Murray. The compensation I have heard was that Miami would be willing to give a 3rd. I don't know where that originated from, but it sounds a lot better than a first. 

Haskins could drop, but I doubt it. There are too many desperate GM's out there trying to make a big splash. He isn't going to last past the 10th pick. What I am more interested in is if the Dolphins are willing to risk a first on Sweat. A heart murmur must be monitored, but you can be an athlete with that condition. My oldest son has this very condition. It isn't something that they operate on unless it is severe. Sweat has lived his entire life with this condition, but you know how spooky GM's can be.

Sweat may have a heart murmur too, but it is being reported that he has an Enlarged Heart ( Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy).  Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is the number one most common heart condition that causes sudden cardiac deaths.  About 1 in 500 people in the US have it.  Tampa Bay Bucs 2007 first round pick Gaines Adams died from this condition in 2010.  He was 26 years old.  Last draft DT Maurice Hurst fell from a potential first round pick to the fifth round due to a Heart Condition.

http://www.legacy.com/ns/gaines-adams-obituary/138671307

Source of Enlarged Heart condition: https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Article/Montez-Sweat-heart-condition-similar-Maurice-Hurst-Oakland-Raiders-131423296/

This video gives a little info.....starting around 2 minute mark.

Edited by Swampbilly

On 4/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, Swampbilly said:

Here’s a risky boom or bust scenario:

Dolphins and Cardinals agree on a draft day trade.  Cardinals get pick 13 while Dolphins get QB Josh Rosen and picks 33 and 103.

The Cardinals want a first round pick for Rosen and this is as best as it gets for them.  They would have pick 1 and 13, 65, 139, 174, 179, 207, 248, 249, 254.

Dolphins would have our potential franchise QB and picks 33, 48, 78, 103, 116, 151, 233, 234.  

I think this would work for both teams if Haskins is gone at 13 ( highly probable ) and the Cardinals want QB Kyler Murray at pick 1 ( very likely ).

Not a fan of this.

It's a special class for D-Lineman.  I heard a fantastic quote from a guy on NFL radio this week.... "Need is the worst evaluator"

Yes Miami needs a QB.  But odds are in their favor for them to control the draft next year rather than let the draft fall to them this year.  If Haskins, Lock, or Jones fall to them at 13, they should absolutely try and trade back... but not out of the first round.  Need that 5th round option.  Very important in a rebuild.

I love the idea of trading back, but every year most posters here talk of trading back and it doesn’t happen......so I don’t entertain the idea often.  Essentially what I did in this scenario was trade back.....all the way to the first pick of the second round where due to such a deep class of DLinemen we can get a first round talent for sure....while also getting our franchise QB, if we feel Rosen is that guy, and picking up an additional late 3rd round pick.

I don’t see odds in our favor right now of controlling next years draft.  Our odds of that are 1 in 32, not exactly in our favor.  I see the odds being much better that 1 of the projected top 3 QBs for the 2020 draft gets seriously injured or regresses so much next season they are out of consideration as a top 15 pick.  A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush.

Jones will be there at 13, but nobody is going to trade up to 13 to draft a guy that will be there in round 2.  I don’t believe the Jones hype, it’s a smokescreen.  If you’ve watched his game film then you know the kid has a noodle arm, poor accuracy, and doesn’t make great decisions......3 things he will never overcome to be a Franchise QB.  He’s a career clipboard holder and that’s only because he has great wheels for his size.

Haskins will go top 10, and if he doesn’t then he goes to Cincinnati at 11.

Lock would be our best realistic chance of enticing a team to trade up, but the most likely team to trade up for a QB is the Redskins but Dan Snyder will give up the next 3 drafts to go all the way into the top 10 for their guy ( see RG3 trade ) so they will not be in the QB market by time pick 13 rolls around.

Edited by Swampbilly