Cole Madison reports to Packers Activities Today

Fox_NFLs_GG

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Just not sure why so many geniuses think a guy who took a year off and wasn't injured is less likely to come back and be able to play. Rookies come back after missing entire year with injuries and have terrific careers. 

If this kid is right in the head and I have no doubt he's internalized and come to grips with what happened to his friend, he can still play. So many here thought this kid was going to step in and be the right guard. Not sure the 'Billy Turner' roadblock would keep him from that position if he was the player many here thought. 

The kid's buddy committed suicide and suffered from CTE.  You don't think he is going to be thinking about that?  Also yes taking a year off to get your head straight does not exactly have a good track record.  Can't just sweep this whole thing under the rug.  I had high hopes after he was drafted the pick made sense.  Then he no showed and this all came to light.  Personally I thought he was done. 

Glad he reported this year but rate his chances of making through training camp at 50/50 let alone making it to the 53.  It's a unique situation that is for sure.  You qualified "If this kid is right in the head" well that's the main question at hand isn't it?  I am not sure he'll ever be "right in the head"  The Packers handled the situation correctly.  Now they are giving him an opportunity to compete. 

I hope it works out for Cole who wouldn't?  If he makes it through training camp then we'll have our answer.  Makes the team, PS, or gets cut at least he will have shown the  commitment necessary to play the game.

• Like 1

Damn, some of you just can't help yourselves to fight with each other.

Back on topic...  Glad he is giving this a shot if he feels it's right. Takes a lot for a young man to do what he is doing. This is also good for us, because once again we have added depth in a position that needs an over load of talent. It takes pressure off the draft, and maybe we will see a BPA draft for the first time in years. 

• Like 3

Looking at our current roster he definitely has a chance to compete for a spot unless we really load up on OL in the draft. It's all about his play, he has had a year off to recover from his loss, so I think he will be good to go besides probably not being in the best football shape. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Atm we have possibly 9 competing for guard spots. That high number does make it seem likely we would skip drafting a guard this year. What do you think?

Signing a FA and getting a draft pick back on the roster absolutely changes things.

4 hours ago, SSG said:

Rookies who spent HOURS, DAYS, WEEKS or MONTHS in the building, in the film room and in the weight room learning and improving.  Players who actively worked at getting better in one way or another throughout their rookie season.  It's not an apples to apples comparision IMO.  We've got no idea how active Madision was.  If he BJ Raji'ed his year off he's going to have issues making the roster IMO.  If he had his head in the playbook and was on the field learnign a foreign position than his chances are much better.

How many examples can we name for guys who removed themselves entirely from football for a year and returned better players?  IMO the chance of Maddison leaving the NFL again for good is every bit as good as it is that he's our starting Guard next year.

Let's not act like Madison is an elite offensive lineman prospect who was guranteed to be our starting RG last year.  He was a low end draft prospect who was drafted near the bottom 35% of all offensive lineman last year.  A guy who was being drafted to play a position that he hadn't spent 1 second of his college career playing.  

Were you drunk when you responded? Not trying to be funny but I've read a lot of your posts and you are a lot more articulate than this post. 

As for the context of your post, time will tell, but it was somewhat a foregone conclusion he was penciled in at RG last year. Now, things will be interesting to see if he's the real deal they seemed to think he was. 

I'll bet on this KID (for you Sasquatch LOL) making the roster and competing for a starting position. Go Cole Madison!!!!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chili said:

Atm we have possibly 9 competing for guard spots. That high number does make it seem likely we would skip drafting a guard this year. What do you think?

Signing a FA and getting a draft pick back on the roster absolutely changes things.

I'm not going to look at the roster, but how many of those guys competing for jobs were draft picks above round 6?  

I'm not opposed to taking a better guard (draft wise) and see if he can be better than what we have.  If not for this year, next year.

Just gotta find the right value in the draft.  And I'm excited to see what Siragusa can do.  Higher drafted kid, but an unknown to us as of right now.  Madison is a wild card, don't know what you have there either.

16 hours ago, Chili said:

I hope you are not confusing warm body count with actual NFL guards. I think those numbers are entirely different. We have Lane Taylor and I guess you could throw in Turner, I'm not that sold on the guy but what do I know. McCray? Who knows. Lucas Patrick hasn't really shown much and the rest are camp fodder. I know there is some love here for Siraguasa but that love is unfounded at the moment. 

Cole Madison has got a better than 50% chance of making the team as it stands right now. I'd put his chances of starting at between 15-20% with current roster. 

I am hoping we address interior O-line in the draft, but feel tackle is a more pressing need. A RT who could slide inside for a year before we move on from Bulaga next year would be great. 

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I hope you are not confusing warm body count with actual NFL guards. I think those numbers are entirely different. We have Lane Taylor and I guess you could throw in Turner, I'm not that sold on the guy but what do I know. McCray? Who knows. Lucas Patrick hasn't really shown much and the rest are camp fodder. I know there is some love here for Siraguasa but that love is unfounded at the moment. 

Cole Madison has got a better than 50% chance of making the team as it stands right now. I'd put his chances of starting at between 15-20% with current roster. 

I am hoping we address interior O-line in the draft, but feel tackle is a more pressing need. A RT who could slide inside for a year before we move on from Bulaga next year would be great. 

I mean, I think if we paid Turner that money to be a "maybe he is in the running" then we ****ed up. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Actually Turner can actually play tackle and has a similar body to our left tackle.

I mean I'm familiar with him and everything. I'm just saying he made it sound like he's nearly an afterthought at guard. Pretty sure they told us they signed him to play guard as well. 

Just feel like even without playing here it's probably still his job to lose at rg

• Like 1

The Turner thing is a bit cloudy yet. I believe he was brought in to be a starting Guard who could kick out to Tackle if need be. I don't know if he is our future RT. From what little that is out there, it seems like he should stay at Guard. If he could be a decent RT, that changes everything

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

The Turner thing is a bit cloudy yet. I believe he was brought in to be a starting Guard who could kick out to Tackle if need be. I don't know if he is our future RT. 

I'm kind of wondering if GB isn't 100% sure which it is yet. Jason Spriggs still could be the future RT, Bulaga with a healthy year could be back on a short-term deal, Turner could be the RT, or they could draft a RT this year or next. A lot of options, not a lot of clarity yet.

30 minutes ago, Norm said:

I mean I'm familiar with him and everything. I'm just saying he made it sound like he's nearly an afterthought at guard. Pretty sure they told us they signed him to play guard as well. 

Just feel like even without playing here it's probably still his job to lose at rg

Yeah they signed him to be RG but he has all it takes to be Bulaga's replacement too. I would say that Cole is a project at this point and maybe a backup level with potential ability to start. He was a 5th rounder and usually people picked in that range take a bit to break in plus he missed his first year.

• Like 1

People sound like our OL was total garbage. We rushed for 5.0 per carry last year. That’s pretty damn good. 

As for pass blocking, I assume we will do less of that, be less predictable and hopefully Rogers gets rid of the ball faster to help that team skill improve. 

I don’t think we are all that far off and are in good shape now at OG.