Cole Madison reports to Packers Activities Today

Fox_NFLs_GG

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Like how you cherry pick.  Why not try re-reading what I said.  "It was a tough situation get that"  miss that part?

"It was a tough situation", BUT

Not happy he no showed last year and very surprised he came in

Kid probably realized this is where his bread is buttered and had a change of heart

We'll see he may decide to bail before the end of training camp

At this point can't count on him

It kind of read like you didn't care about WHY he didn't report last year. Apologies if I took it wrong.

• Like 1

Not getting my hopes up.  Years off don't usually treat the big guy's too well (ie Anthony Davis).  Going to come down to how active he was last year in his workouts.  If he didn't spend the year getting bigger, faster stronger he's going to have an uphill battle to make the roster IMO.  

For the kid's sake hopefully he got everything figured out and his passion back for football.  

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

"It was a tough situation", BUT

Not happy he no showed last year and very surprised he came in

Kid probably realized this is where his bread is buttered and had a change of heart

We'll see he may decide to bail before the end of training camp

At this point can't count on him

It kind of read like you didn't care about WHY he didn't report last year. Apologies if I took it wrong.

No worries.  Don't think anyone on this board was happy he didn't show up.  Granted it was a bad situation but doesn't exactly show mental toughness either.  I have serious doubts about whether this kid has the drive to make it through training camp let alone make the 53.  My point is wouldn't get my expectations up.  In all the years following the draft I never seen a player no show the Packers.  Well Bruce Clark but that was the stone age.  My post probably came off as a little harsh hope the kid turns it around but odds are not good.

• Like 2

Just not sure why so many geniuses think a guy who took a year off and wasn't injured is less likely to come back and be able to play. Rookies come back after missing entire year with injuries and have terrific careers. 

If this kid is right in the head and I have no doubt he's internalized and come to grips with what happened to his friend, he can still play. So many here thought this kid was going to step in and be the right guard. Not sure the 'Billy Turner' roadblock would keep him from that position if he was the player many here thought. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I understand the nuances and why some choose to use the term "Kid" to describe players, but FFS, these are grown-***, giant-sized MEN!

Some of us are older. I talk to kids older than anyone in this draft. Very much don't have things figured out yet. You weren't all growed up in Roman society until you were 35. Just saying.

18 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

No worries.  Don't think anyone on this board was happy he didn't show up.  Granted it was a bad situation but doesn't exactly show mental toughness either.  I have serious doubts about whether this kid has the drive to make it through training camp let alone make the 53.  My point is wouldn't get my expectations up.  In all the years following the draft I never seen a player no show the Packers.  Well Bruce Clark but that was the stone age.  My post probably came off as a little harsh hope the kid turns it around but odds are not good.

Sometimes the things we think just don't come off well when spoken or written aloud. This young man lost someone very close to him, and the game he loved and the weapon he owned were instrumental to his death. Our concerns about Green Bay Packer football will always seem a little shallow when juxtaposed with that.

I can't say that I haven't had the same concerns that you have written, and I did note your parenthetical concessions to the young man's situation. I think that we all hope that Cole Madison has chosen football again for the right reasons and that he will be successful--and we have selfish reasons of our own to want him to be awesome. Actually, I think that this guy showed some real merit and toughness by choosing to stay away for family and friends and proper self-reflection when he needed to do so. I don't think he was in a corner eating ice cream and feeling sorry for himself.

I've got a good feeling that we will be glad that he has come back when the time was right for him. I don't think he'll give up without one heck of a battle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Perhaps but GB/Gutey has empathized their support throughout the whole process so I think he’ll get every chance to make it and don’t forget he was on the plans to start at RG last year.

Very much this. Suicide is a terrible thing. Depression is nothing to scoff at. Rooting for him

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Just not sure why so many geniuses think a guy who took a year off and wasn't injured is less likely to come back and be able to play. Rookies come back after missing entire year with injuries and have terrific careers. 

If this kid is right in the head and I have no doubt he's internalized and come to grips with what happened to his friend, he can still play. So many here thought this kid was going to step in and be the right guard. Not sure the 'Billy Turner' roadblock would keep him from that position if he was the player many here thought. 

Rookies who spent HOURS, DAYS, WEEKS or MONTHS in the building, in the film room and in the weight room learning and improving.  Players who actively worked at getting better in one way or another throughout their rookie season.  It's not an apples to apples comparision IMO.  We've got no idea how active Madision was.  If he BJ Raji'ed his year off he's going to have issues making the roster IMO.  If he had his head in the playbook and was on the field learnign a foreign position than his chances are much better.

How many examples can we name for guys who removed themselves entirely from football for a year and returned better players?  IMO the chance of Maddison leaving the NFL again for good is every bit as good as it is that he's our starting Guard next year.

Let's not act like Madison is an elite offensive lineman prospect who was guranteed to be our starting RG last year.  He was a low end draft prospect who was drafted near the bottom 35% of all offensive lineman last year.  A guy who was being drafted to play a position that he hadn't spent 1 second of his college career playing.  

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Some of us are older. I talk to kids older than anyone in this draft. Very much don't have things figured out yet. You weren't all growed up in Roman society until you were 35. Just saying.

No **** Sherlock - doesn't mean it's appropriate.  These aren't high school football players we're talking about.

16 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Not happy he no showed last year and very surprised he came in.  It was a tough situation get that.  He'll have a tough road to make the 53.  Maybe PS.  Kid probably realized this is where his bread is buttered and had a change of heart.  Hopefully he's got his head on straight and will compete.  We'll see he may decide to bail before the end of training camp.  I wish the kid well and hope he becomes an all pro.  Wouldn't that be great?  Regardless it shouldn't affect our draft strategy at all. At this point can't count on him. 

So a kid that has played football all life long and earned the right to be an NFL player should give a **** about your opinions on how to deal with depression and personal tragedy?

It’s sad how people expect athletes should be exempt from such ‘feelings’.

2 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

So a kid that has played football all life long and earned the right to be an NFL player should give a **** about your opinions on how to deal with depression and personal tragedy?

He explained his position above^

Don't think he meant for it to come off the way it read fwiw

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

No **** Sherlock - doesn't mean it's appropriate.  These aren't high school football players we're talking about.

I'd guess like 99% of people over the age of thirty would consider THEMSELVES "kids" at the age of 22 or 23. I certainly do. I don't think it's disrespectful or meant to be.

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Dude this is a forum where we all express our opinions.  Don't expect players to give a crap what we have to say. Get over yourself and have another beer.