REED at WR

LoganF89

On 4/12/2019 at 12:38 PM, lavar703 said:

While true, he’s still barely going to get playing time if they don’t cut one of Davis or Sprinkle. And there’s absolutely no guarantee under Gruden that Hockenson would get playing time. 

Davis is as good as gone. Sprinkle is a blocking tight end. Hockenson starts by Week 5.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:08 PM, Slateman said:

Davis is as good as gone. Sprinkle is a blocking tight end. Hockenson starts by Week 5.

Problem with Sprinkle is that very fact: when he comes in, it's a massive tell that it's a running play.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

I'd cut Sprinkle before I cut Davis.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Me too. There’s a reason why he lasted until the 5th round. 

No. Davis is old and hes starting to fade. Plus, hes going to cost more. Sprinkle took a minute to develop at Arkansas.  Theres no reason to cut him.

We did just fine with Logan Paulson as a blocking tight end.

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

No. Davis is old and hes starting to fade. Plus, hes going to cost more. Sprinkle took a minute to develop at Arkansas.  Theres no reason to cut him.

From the offense that Jay wants to run, a pass catching TE is worth more than a run blocker.

I'm not saying that is necessarily right, but that's where the team finds itself.

Nominally, the only thing that Sprinkle offers the team (under Jay) is that he's cheap and has another year on his contract.

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

From the offense that Jay wants to run, a pass catching TE is worth more than a run blocker.

I'm not saying that is necessarily right, but that's where the team finds itself.

Nominally, the only thing that Sprinkle offers the team (under Jay) is that he's cheap and has another year on his contract.

Sprinkle isn’t a bad receiver, he just doesn’t get many opportunities. I wish when he was put in the game they’d throw to him more bc the defense doesn’t pay much attention to him.

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

They’re not going to cut Davis at this point. If they were going to cut him they would have cut him early in March like they did with Zach Brown and Stacey McGee to create cap space to sign some other free agents. They didn’t do that, so I think it’s pretty clear that Davis is going to be on the roster this year.

Also, this is the last year of Davis’ contract so it’s easy to have him play one more year as Reed’s back up and then draft a TE in next years draft in the first 3 rounds to replace Davis.

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sprinkle isn’t a bad receiver, he just doesn’t get many opportunities. I wish when he was put in the game they’d throw to him more bc the defense doesn’t pay much attention to him.

I have to think that's partially due to what he shows in practice ... which leads me to my place of "he's not doing anything to wow them, so move on."

Maybe he just needs a chance to shine. Maybe I'm completely wrong. That all said, the window is closing fast.

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They’re not going to cut Davis at this point. If they were going to cut him they would have cut him early in March like they did with Zach Brown and Stacey McGee to create cap space to sign some other free agents.

Given that they were very tentative (beyond Landon Collins) in who they did sign, I'm not sure this is correct.

Since Davis is in the last year of his contract, cutting him on March 14 gets them the same cap savings that cutting him on August 30th would (about $5M in cap space).

12 hours ago, Woz said:

Sprinkle is a pass catching tight end. He took a while at Arkansas to develop.

Sprinkle costs you ~800k against the cap. Davis is a 6 million cap hit. I'm not saying that Davis can't be productive, but he isn't a number 1 tight end anymore. Between the money we  have wrapped up in Reed and the ~30 million or so at the QB position, I just don't think Davis is a luxury we can afford. Particularly if you draft another tight end with the upside that Hockenson has.

Reed at receiver seems ... I dunno. He basically plays receiver already. They put him as a wideout all the time. So if you want to re-list him as a receiver, or simply carry four tight ends, I don't think it really matters either way.

Just now, Slateman said:

Sprinkle costs you ~800k against the cap. Davis is a 6 million cap hit. I'm not saying that Davis can't be productive, but he isn't a number 1 tight end anymore. Between the money we  have wrapped up in Reed and the ~30 million or so at the QB position, I just don't think Davis is a luxury we can afford. Particularly if you draft another tight end with the upside that Hockenson has.

Fair enough.

However, perhaps we should see if they draft Hockensen before we start discussing how to handle 4 tight ends. ;):D

Just now, Slateman said:

Reed at receiver seems ... I dunno. He basically plays receiver already. They put him as a wideout all the time. So if you want to re-list him as a receiver, or simply carry four tight ends, I don't think it really matters either way.

I'm sure he'd appreciate being reclassified since that could mean a pay bump if he ever has to face a franchise tag.

20 hours ago, Woz said:

Fair enough.

However, perhaps we should see if they draft Hockensen before we start discussing how to handle 4 tight ends. ;):D

I'm sure he'd appreciate being reclassified since that could mean a pay bump if he ever has to face a franchise tag.

We already have 6 on the roster and none of them seem to see the field all that often like they should. 

20 hours ago, Woz said:

Fair enough.

Yes 6'3 245 as a WR. Jimmy Graham ruined his career by being that guy. Reed has ruined his career by being made of glass. 

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

We already have 6 on the roster and none of them seem to see the field all that often like they should. 

Three of them (Flanagan, Garner, and Holtz) are practice squad guys who got bumped up to a futures contract this offseason. So, that's a bit misleading.

Sprinkle is the one to look at.
*looks at Sprinkle's 7 catches for 54 yards (2 TDs) in 27 games*

Yeah ...

Archived